Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 am

tekkentool wrote:I think you are closed minded if you every refer to any possible technique for creating sound as not music.
Well, considering that I do not and will never consider "musical" any of the following:
  • Farts.
  • Burps.
  • Dentist's drills.
  • The voice of Jerry Lewis.
  • Mosquitos in my ear at 2:00 A.M.
  • Tinnitus.
I guess I'll just have to live with the unbearable shame of being considered "close-minded" by some guy on the Internet. So what the heck, that noise this Mark guy is making is just another on the pile.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:46 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
tekkentool wrote:I think you are closed minded if you every refer to any possible technique for creating sound as not music.
Well, considering that I do not and will never consider "musical" any of the following:
• Farts.
• Burps...
So you've never had an SK-1 then? :D

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:56 pm

tekkentool wrote:No you see anybody who doesn't have the thought process of a 5 year old girl probably abstains from making wide, arrogant sweeping judgements about people and their music from a short clip so they don't go around shitting all over all the other musicians in the world.
Rubbish. And you surely know it's rubbish? The man was making stupid noises that didn't even depend on a Moog synth, and claiming they were the coolest thing you could do with one. He obviously didn't know what he was shouting about, and he made zero contribution to a documentary about Moog synths.
tekkentool wrote:It's such a bizarre sign of insecurity to keep going around shitting all over other musicians.
The discussion wasn't even about Money Mark's musicianship, or lack of it. It was about the relevenace of his silly noisemaking to the documentary that featured him. You don't seem to have understood this point.
tekkentool wrote:Money Mark is a fellow brother if the oscillator
I haven't the faintest idea what that's supposed to mean, if it means anything.
tekkentool wrote:and you're all going around bitching about the guy behind his back like a bunch of little girls.
Th is is a public forum and anything said here could potentially be read by Money Mark. I'd be perfectly happy to repeat anything I've said to his face, and I'm sure that applies to other people here. In any case, once again, the main issue was the lack of relevance to the Moog documentary.
tekkentool wrote: You don't throw anything out for the possibility of "not being music" or being weird because if that's all you do then the view you have of music gets smaller and f**k smaller until you live in an echo chamber and your horizons will never get expanded again. You'll never do anything new and you're just gonna sit there with the same old s**t until you die still listening to what you did when you were 20.
This is so totally wrong for me that it's laughable, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that applies to.

To put it simply: you don't broaden your horizons by accepting any rubbish as music. You broaden them by opening up to different kinds of real music when you hear it.

I think that says it all. I've had enough of your pointless post, but it was so insulting and so ridiculous that something had to be said.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I like how dismissing this one guy and this one trick equals never, ever wanting to hear anything different or surprising and being totally close-minded to everyone and everything.
Exactly. Anyone who has access to my iPod or has heard my "music" would know that I am not close-minded when it comes to music, noise, etc.

I have even done this ""Money Mark trick" or something similar in live shows but to asy it's the most amazing thing a Mini Moog can do is simply not true.

The s**t Money Mark did in this clip was absolute s**t, at least in the context of amazing sounds one can make with a Mini Moog. Just about every Mini owner has done it but most of us are not that imposed with ourselves as to think it's anything mo than making noise.

As far as "behind his back" that's laughable! Would it make anyone feel better if I reached out to him and invited him to this forum?

Hopefully, he knows how to work the Internet better than that c**p he did with that Mini Moog..
Last edited by Cumulus on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:
• Farts.
• Burps...
So you've never had an SK-1 then? :D
No :D Did use a friend's Yak Bak, though.
Sweep wrote:To put it simply: you don't broaden your horizons by accepting any rubbish as music. You broaden them by opening up to different kinds of real music when you hear it.
Nailed it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Are you lot stil going on about Money Mark? :shock:

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:06 pm

tekkentool wrote: You'll never do anything new and you're just gonna sit there with the same old s**t until you die still listening to what you did when you were 20.
When you're 40 or 50, I think you'll be surprised at how much you will still be listening to the stuff you listened to when you were 20. And how you'll wish that people still made great music like that...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Are you lot stil going on about Money Mark?

But wait!!!!!!
The Original Post:
For those of you who have seen the Moog documentary from nine years ago, can any of you tell me which input on the back panel of the Minimoog D Money Mark plugged the microphone into to get that crazy pitch trigger effect? Can it be done with a Voyager?

I find it ridiculously perfect that this one clip from this old documentary is exactly what inspired this thread.
Someone, years later, is curious about their MODERN SYNTH doing what THAT GUY did with his.
Does anyone NOT see the irony in that?
I don't know if what he meant to say was "This is the cooling THING YOU CAN DO" as opposed to This is the coolest sound you can make.

Because using a synthesizer's (people weren't familiar with the term yet so....it musta been early in) filter to process external sources is kinda common and a 'duh' thing now, but who knows if he thought he was introducing the idea to the masses. In the end that clip (good or bad) seems to be re-introducing the idea for someone in 2013.
Apparently that segment has proven its merit. lol.

I don't know why our opinions must either be right or wrong.
Usually they stop at informed or uninformed.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:46 am

Opinions are, by definition, neither right nor wrong. But most of us here already knew that, didn't we?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:29 am

griffin avid wrote:
Because using a synthesizer's (people weren't familiar with the term yet so....it musta been early in) filter to process external sources is kinda common and a 'duh' thing now, but who knows if he thought he was introducing the idea to the masses. In the end that clip (good or bad) seems to be re-introducing the idea for someone in 2013.
Apparently that segment has proven its merit. lol.
Perhaps. Ultimately I am in favor of anything that advances synth interest and knowledge so I should probably have not been quite as much if an a*s as I was. I still don't think this trick is anything special.

Also, I must respectfully disagree with the idea that it was "early in" since the very next shot shows a Voyager.

By the time the Voyager came out the audio-thru-the-filter thing was very well-known.

The footage of Money Mark seems to be from the 90's or later.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 am

This has nothing to do with age, being closed minded, whatever. It does however have everything to do with people having different opinions on musical taste. Which shouldn't really be a big deal I would have thought.

Yes this is absolutely music. It is also absolutely s**t music. This is one mans opinion and everyone has the right to disagree, but don't go around throwing unfounded personal insults.

The documentary was also s**t, I bought it and regretted the waste of money.

It really shouldn't worry you if someone prefers to listen to something you don't like, it's called cultural diversity for a reason.

Life's too short to argue about these things, live and let live guys :geek:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Amazingly, I agree with everything sweep said to tekkentool in his last post.

I saw the Moog documentary when it came out. When it came out, we all hoped it would be basically the video version of Analog Days, and it wasn't. It was actually a documentary about the man who is Bob Moog. We wished it would have been about Bob Moog's synthesizer history... and while it did touch on that... it was mostly just about who Bob is as a person and what effect that had on his work. For those of us expecting a really in-depth portrayal of his history with synthesizers and theremins, this was a little disappointing at first. What didn't help at ALL was that this story was punctuated with moments about synthesizers, and some of those moments featured, for example, some idiot talking to Bob Moog about samplers (of course at that time, I didn't know nearly as much about Bob Moog as I do now, and I didn't know of his connection to sampling).

What I think a lot of us would have liked would have been more interaction with universally acknowledged extremely talented synth players. A lot of people confuse "this person is popular" and "I like this person's music" and "some people have been influenced by what this person did" with "this person is an incredibly gifted and skilled musician." And that's why some of us were really pissed off about some of the people who showed up in the documentary. It's not about whether an artist is valid, it's about whether that artist is superlative enough to be featured in a documentary about the guy who basically invented the modern version of what we're all on about.

Many years have passed since the documentary came out, and I've actually watched it with Bob's daughter. My views on it have changed and softened. It's a really beautiful portrayal of a really interesting, humble, and important guy.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm

wow, Automatic gainsey in non condescending moog post shocker! only kidding ;)
Good post.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:This has nothing to do with age, being closed minded, whatever. It does however have everything to do with people having different opinions on musical taste. Which shouldn't really be a big deal I would have thought.

..Snipped for brevity and because I felt like it...

It really shouldn't worry you if someone prefers to listen to something you don't like, it's called cultural diversity for a reason.

Life's too short to argue about these things, live and let live guys :geek:
Buzzkill.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:16 am

I didn't realise this thread was a buzz for anyone :lol:

Also I was roughly agreeing with you but please do carry on with the pointless arguing ;)