Proph 08 Jump

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Push-Pull

Re: Proph 08 Jump

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:37 am

If I remember, on the P'08 there is a factory preset called "Yump" which is a good start to do some tweaking. For a less predictable and more dirty detune, try to route a slow and slight random LFO on the pitch of one oscillator.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 am

In the actual song, it's not super huge or mega fat or anything, it's just there, a buzzy synth brass sound.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:07 pm

If I had a penny for every time the "lol how do i make jump" thread popped up here, I could buy me a GX1 and a house to fit the bugger in. </grumpyoldman>

In all seriousness, though: I've stopped considering "Jump" as the be-all-end-all of OB-style synth brass. As a vague reference point, sure, but I don't go out of my way to emulate it, and I would not use it as a definite benchmark for evaluating a synth. And while I appreciate that the thread is about whether or not the P'08 deserves to be compared to the OB-Xa, I think it's a bit unproductive to assume that a modern analogue synthesiser - DCOs notwithstanding - only derives value based on what vintage piece of gear it sounds like. Maybe it's just me, but I think that it's unfair towards the P'08 to render judgment without considering the qualities unique to the P'08.

That's just my £.02, though. Sorry for the derailment.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:09 am

As mentioned, if you really listen to it, it's a more complicated patch than you think. And not to sound like your typical VSE crybaby, but Prophet 08 really isn't a very big sounding synth- I own a P-5, and I was really disappointed when it came out (at the time time I was hoping it could replace my cantankerous P-5). Pretty much all the DSI stuff uses the Curtis "all-in-one" chips, and they just don't sound as good as the old individual VCO/VCF/VCA chips. Might have to do with the gain staging, but they just don't sound as big. The new ones do a lot more and are more reliable, but the sound isn't the as big.

Watch this comparison, particularly the PWM at 3:33...

synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:33 am

I don't think we should even be thinking about comparing synths like the P'08 to all the older stuff. It's a new product with new possibilities and a new sound. It's like comparing a '68 Mustang to a brand new one. It doesn't make any sense.
soundcloud.com/vectron