functionality vs sound ....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

functionality vs sound ....

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Suppose you landed on a deserted island with some solar panels and some active speakers. and you had a choice between an alesis micron and a moog, say little phatty.

Those two have very little in common: the micron is feature -laden (polyphony, multitimbrality, 2 sequencers, massive modulation matrix, many filters emulated, tons of LFOs and oscillators, drum sounds, etc.), BUT it has that VA sound ....
On the other hand, the little phatty has much much fewer functions, BUT it has that Moog analog sound (and filter) ...
Let's also assume that these 2 are comparable in durability for "deserted island usage" (so that the choice lays only on functionality vs sound).

Which one would you choose, knowing that it will end up being you sole instrument for many years on this deserted island ???

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: functionality vs sound ....

Post by cornutt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd go with the Little Phatty, but I'm not a big fan of VAs in general. If the choices were between the Little Phatty and, say, a V-Synth, the answer might be different.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I would always choose the sound over anything.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Between a Micron and Little Phatty I'd be in serious trouble :help:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, you're stuck on a deserted island, so you don't have to worry about pleasing/impressing the rest of the world, so forget the Moog legacy (and the boring blandness its turned into) and go with the more fun device....

Oh wait, you can do that in the real world too....

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Seems like a very simple choice for me. I'd be using whatever had the widest range of sounds to complete a full song.
I'd take the micron (not that I've ever owned one) since I should be able to make full pieces of music. I think doing solos would get tired after a while no matter how sweet the singular patch.....

Now maybe a piano ....would be different....or any ROMpler.......
And you know the piano joke about building a raft...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:13 am

On a desert island I would take the Micron over ANY monosynth. My music is mostly song based, so polyphony is pretty much essential for me.

If you take polyphony out of the equation, then I'd probably go with sound over features (I might even take a nice Rhodes over a synth given the choice :oops: ).

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 am

Desert Island Scenario - get Poly over Mono.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 am

LP hands down. There's still enough functionality, and despite not being strictly knob per function, it's still easy to navigate.

If you had said Ion or LP, that would be different. Funstionality vs. sound is a big factor to consider, but so is user interface.
You can't synthesize love

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:47 am

Lately I've come to realise how much I like a few notes with a (rather) simple patch on a great sounding instrument with good FX. (But then again lately I 've been listening to a lot of early 80's stuff).

I think many would pick sound. Isn't that part of the explanation why prices on vintage synths has skyrocketed?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 am

I'd definately go for the Micron - more features and functionality to keep me occupied

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I think many would pick sound....

It's a skewed question, but not slanted enough for a truly A ORRRRRR B type choice.
The Micron doesn't sound bad so it's not like there's some HUUUGGGEEEEE disparity between the two.

Even if you went chip tune verse total-bad-azz-synthie-beast, there'd be some that prefer the chippy tone....

I have a Moog Voyager and as much as I love it, I'd rather have my KORG Kaossilator Pro with me if I had to only have 1 piece to make music with.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:33 pm

griffin avid wrote:I think many would pick sound....

It's a skewed question, but not slanted enough for a truly A ORRRRRR B type choice.
The Micron doesn't sound bad so it's not like there's some HUUUGGGEEEEE disparity between the two.

Even if you went chip tune verse total-bad-azz-synthie-beast, there'd be some that prefer the chippy tone....

I have a Moog Voyager and as much as I love it, I'd rather have my KORG Kaossilator Pro with me if I had to only have 1 piece to make music with.
Very good points, and exactly what I'm thinking. I'd rather have a Yamaha rm1x on the island, than a Little Phatty

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I'd probably pick the Micron not only for the functionality/sound palette but because I'd rather have a poly than a mono to wile away the years of isolation (leads & bass would get a bit stale after a while).
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:44 pm

I'd always pick poly over monosynth. I like playing chords. Not just "phat basslines and screamy leads".
And if you're all alone on this island anyway, there will be no hipsters to show off your phat moog lines to anyway who could say "whoaaa that's so anaaaaaaaalogue duude luuuv it can't beat it"