functionality vs sound ....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: functionality vs sound ....

Post by tekkentool » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Multritrack your monosynth and there's your polyphony. Plus you'll think more about your voice leading that way...

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 pm

tekkentool wrote:Multritrack your monosynth and there's your polyphony. Plus you'll think more about your voice leading that way...
Multitrack it on what ? The solar panels or the active speakers ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 pm

The Micron is a dull synth, but I would choose it because of polyphony. Then again I would probably be most happy with an acoustic guitar on a deserted island.

_dan

Post by _dan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 am

in regards to the OP I think it would have been better phrased as “a full featured synth with a sound you dislike verses a sparsely featured synth with a sound you love” the micron has a sound character that is considered more than desirable by some. The only weakness I've heard in the microns sound is in the very top octaves, and not always. The envelopes alone give it very useful sound shaping tools that are hard to find anywhere else. The bias we've seen so far has reduced the thread to something irrelevant like "trumpet vs. guitar".

I think the option to record is one of the most important features for your scenario. Music usually has some accompaniment, and you would probably want to be able revisit all of those great tunes you made as they originally happened.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:30 am

Psy_Free wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Multritrack your monosynth and there's your polyphony. Plus you'll think more about your voice leading that way...
Well if there's no way to record than It's suicide via coconut for me. This desert island can go f**k itself.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 am

tekkentool wrote:This desert island can go f**k itself.
I think that's what you do with yourself when it's just you on a deserted island...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 am

tekkentool wrote:
Psy_Free wrote:
Well if there's no way to record than It's suicide via coconut for me. This desert island can go f**k itself.
:lol:

Maybe some kind of coconut based DAW could be rigged up in an Edison Cylinder stylee ? The thought of coconut-inflicted death combined with desert island self-fornication is too much to contemplate this early in the morning.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Psy_Free wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Well if there's no way to record than It's suicide via coconut for me. This desert island can go f**k itself.
:lol:

Maybe some kind of coconut based DAW could be rigged up in an Edison Cylinder stylee ? The thought of coconut-inflicted death combined with desert island self-fornication is too much to contemplate this early in the morning.
There should be a =desert island= version of the Cockos Reaper DAW...

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 pm

An interesting split could be DAW (with no VSTs and no other hardware synths or musical instruments or a ton of instruments with no way to record them. Meaning...

You can make your own sounds with whatever you find on the island and make full records with them....
or.....
Have every instrument and sound at your disposal, but not be able to record or play them together unless you do the one foot does the...and one hand holds the....while me forehead bashes the cymbal one-man-band-thing....

---------------------

I find that tough because I would love to master each instrument over years, but losing the ability to make full songs would kill. And making my own instruments would be an interesting hurdle, but how far can I go with wooden percussion and a ukelele?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 am

Obviously what you want is a steel string acoustic guitar (and plenty of spare strings). You can go off to a cave (nicer acoustics) and write songs about breakups and coconuts so when they find you in a couple of years they can write an article in pitchfork about your extreme album writing period and you'll sell a billion copies Bon Iver style.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:27 am

tekkentool wrote:Obviously what you want is a steel string acoustic guitar (and plenty of spare strings). You can go off to a cave (nicer acoustics) and write songs about breakups and coconuts so when they find you in a couple of years they can write an article in pitchfork about your extreme album writing period and you'll sell a billion copies Bon Iver style.
Not Bon Iver, but this song addresses desert islands, love, and coconuts. Definitely has been discussed in Pitchfork, but has yet to reach the billion in sales mark...

Micron all the way, but I'd probably rather have an acoustic guitar as well.