can FS1r get as rough and dirty as DX11?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

can FS1r get as rough and dirty as DX11?

Post by nitkov » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 pm

hi people, haven't posted here in years, i'm glad to see you still rocking.

so, can FS1r get as rough and dirty as DX11? FS1r is supposed to be able to reproduce classic DX7 patches, and DX11 is similar to DX7. but from what little i heard of FS1r and user's comments, that machine is known for being clean, gentle, sophisticated-sounding etc and rarely going into 'noisy' range of FM. i'd be interested to buy it only if it can replace my DX11 and give me the same gritty old school "new beat" kind of bass. any advice or opinion is much appreciated, thanks!
n.
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...

Azurebirch

Re: can FS1r get as rough and dirty as DX11?

Post by Azurebirch » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure FS1r can get way dirtier than a DX11 with its 8 operators. You see, most people rely on converters for dirt and they form their opinion based on that. They forget how powerful the FM engine itself is. With this beast you can get any kind of dirt you like. The only difference is you have to program your bite and dirt yourself.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't have mine at hand here, but one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the brightness (and eventually 'dirt') in FM comes from feedback. And in the FS1r there's one FB-loop only. Also, it has 8 waveforms iirc, but they're not the DX11/TX81z-waveforms. So, it's sound will at least be somewhat different, and it's these waveforms that partly dictate how dirty the sound is going to be. The more complex the waveform and the more modulation being applied to it, the dirtier things get.

Then again, the FS1r has lots of effects, including overdrive 'n stuff. Not exactly the same as having 'rough FM', but equally dirty in the eyes of most.

Let's summarize with the notion that the FS1r is mostly different compared to the DX11. For sophisticated megadirt you'd want an SY77/99. Or FM8 (which can also use a sample in its algo (being the input operator) and can have feedback on every operator, and has a 'digital' slider which makes things noisy and crappy). :)
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

Post by nitkov » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52 pm

thanks a lot folks!

i'm definitely more into FM-dirt than converter's or effect's dirt. maybe 'dirt' is not the right word for the metallic yet crunchy grit that i seek. as long as i can exploit this kind of basses, i'm raving mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uO6JIyLRk
http://functionoperate.bandcamp.com/tra ... oney-crime

of course, reasons to get FS1r are his other rich features like formants, formant sequences etc, it's just that i can't afford to have two fm synths at the moment, and i'd hate to lose my trusty DX11's oldschool basses.

i'll let you know did i manage to reproduce them on FS1r if i buy it... ;)
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...