New Elektron Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: New Elektron Machine

Post by griffin avid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 am

I wouldn't feel bad...it's not like if they dropped at the same time...
and no one was holding out, waiting for this to drop before they made a choice...

Tempest had plenty of time to do what it would do.
DSI could still drop a smaller desktop version and do well.
Something analog for a grand would be ideal.
Maybe even cheaper...like a Mopho kinda box.....

I think many could get involved in a Tempest verse whatever this is, but I think the two boxes represent two vastly different approaches....

and will probably sound nothing alike...

And I did forget about the Linn-digital-piece.....
Imagine that showed up and stole the thunder.....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:This looks to me pretty much like Elektron's version of the Tempest... not exactly innovative :(
Perhaps. But I'd be willing to bet that it will be about $700 less than the Tempest. I predict a street price of $1,299 for the AR; the Tempest usually runs about $1,999.
machinedrum with sampling is US$1550, how do you figure it'll be less than that?
I wouldnt be surprised if this hit 2.5k.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm

lazerface wrote: I wouldnt be surprised if this hit 2.5k.
Definitely.

So much dreaming when it comes to pricing these days :lol:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Price is an issue but it just means I will wait longer. That's assuming it does what I want it to. I could live with £1200. What's that, about 2000 in dollars?

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:01 pm

lazerface wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:This looks to me pretty much like Elektron's version of the Tempest... not exactly innovative :(
Perhaps. But I'd be willing to bet that it will be about $700 less than the Tempest. I predict a street price of $1,299 for the AR; the Tempest usually runs about $1,999.
machinedrum with sampling is US$1550, how do you figure it'll be less than that?
I wouldnt be surprised if this hit 2.5k.
Well, let's see, the four-voice, full-featured Analog Keys synthesizer is only $1,849 (list price). The Analog Four, which is the same as the Keys only without the keyboard, lists for only $1,349 (about $100 less on the street). Those are good baselines for comparison. Heck, the Analog Four is a perfectly capable analog drum machine in its own right. You can use those four voices for drums only, then employ parameter locks to get even more than four drum sounds.

With that in mind, why would anyone be interested in a $2,500 drum machine that has even less functionality and utility in many respects than the AK and A4? Maybe I'm totally wrong here. But I think the Tempest's $2,000 price tag -- and its correspondingly tepid sales -- should be a lesson to Elektron. Besides, Elektron wants to sell lots of machines. I don't think they'd put this kind of effort into a niche instrument that only a couple of thousand people worldwide will buy.

Again, just my $.02.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Aaron2 wrote: But I think the Tempest's $2,000 price tag -- and its correspondingly tepid sales -- should be a lesson to Elektron.
DSI has sold thousands of them. If anything it told Elektron there's a market for a device like it.
Aaron2 wrote:
With that in mind, why would anyone be interested in a $2,500 drum machine that has even less functionality and utility in many respects than the AK and A4?
Less? It has 8 voices and sampling capabilities.

Anyhow, might as well wait to see the specs to see if it's worth the plunge. Me, I don't care what the market thinks, just whether or not I would find it useful.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:32 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Aaron2 wrote: But I think the Tempest's $2,000 price tag -- and its correspondingly tepid sales -- should be a lesson to Elektron.
DSI has sold thousands of them. If anything it told Elektron there's a market for a device like it.
But it could price itself out of that market by offering a machine that's too expensive.
GuyaGuy wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:

With that in mind, why would anyone be interested in a $2,500 drum machine that has even less functionality and utility in many respects than the AK and A4?
Less? It has 8 voices and sampling capabilities.

Anyhow, might as well wait to see the specs to see if it's worth the plunge. Me, I don't care what the market thinks, just whether or not I would find it useful.
My $150 Volca Beats has ten voices. Merely counting voices doesn't tell you how much the machine should cost. I agree sampling is a value-add for some.

But at the end of the day, you've got a drum machine with sampling. By comparison, the Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MKII + has a street price of $1,499. Again, I just don't see this being a $2,500 machine.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:07 pm

It does not matter how much particularly. People who love elektron stuff will find the money and get it. I'm salivating and I don't even know the full specs yet. I know it sounds awful and probably snobby but I hope the price puts some people off as it means the sounds will be more individual and not be all over the place.
I always wanted an ms20 but I have not really gassed for the mini for the same reason.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 am

Umm ... it says "8 voice analog drum machine with sample support" - does that mean it actually samples or perhaps it has eight analog voices plus samples already loaded in for those "classic" drum machine sounds?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 am

zoomtheline wrote:I know it sounds awful and probably snobby but I hope the price puts some people off as it means the sounds will be more individual and not be all over the place.
It is awful and snobby.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 am

It does not matter how much particularly. People who love elektron stuff will find the money and get it.
That's about the smallest market I can ever imagine pitching to. So I have already cashed out and I'm going to go in heavy for a SIMILAR product with THE SAME ENGINE and SOUND but a different configuration. Yes, spend more after ditching the elektron gear (I supposedly love) to buy this new thing. This ideal customer, I do not believe, exists in abundance enough to be the main target. I believe they are reacting to criticism/suggestions and reaching out to those who are interested in their stuff but passed on previous releases.

If it's going to cost an arm and a leg, it'd better be a workstation. And if the current 'specialized' lines are already difficult to maneuver around, I can't image what to expect with 3 X the functionality in the same size box. Good luck with that.

I know it sounds awful and probably snobby but I hope the price puts some people off as it means the sounds will be more individual and not be all over the place.
Not snobby, jut silly. Price has nothing to do with 'sounds being all over the place' and if "your sound" is about the particular drum machine you use, you're in bad shape.

I always wanted an ms20 but I have not really gassed for the mini for the same reason.
Unless of course, the landing point for your music is the elektron user forum, their soundcloud or yahoo group, then yes, you will probably sound like all the other noodlers. And I'm even curious how anyone stands out using ANY of their gear. Apparently all the elektron users (at least the ones who love their gear) all make the same stuff.

Probably the best reason ever to AVOID ANYTHING ELEKTRON.
I might buy this and start making music like the guy who bought their MDWMD+UWMTW 7 years ago.

All joking aside, I don't know anyone who's clamoring for that elektron sound.
I see interest in the functionally and features.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:16 am

griffin avid wrote: All joking aside, I don't know anyone who's clamoring for that elektron sound.
This is sort of true. Yes, the UI is what constantly pulls me in to use their gear. I am weighing an A4 keys or just the standard version. I want to be able to use their sequencers to control my CV gear. The two CV sequencers alone is close to a win. I have spent some time on a friend's A4 and I have to say their native sound + effects is pretty freaking flexible and awesome.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:54 am

commodorejohn wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:I know it sounds awful and probably snobby but I hope the price puts some people off as it means the sounds will be more individual and not be all over the place.
It is awful and snobby.
I can live with that ;)
griffin avid wrote:It does not matter how much particularly. People who love elektron stuff will find the money and get it.
That's about the smallest market I can ever imagine pitching to. So I have already cashed out and I'm going to go in heavy for a SIMILAR product with THE SAME ENGINE and SOUND but a different configuration. Yes, spend more after ditching the elektron gear (I supposedly love) to buy this new thing. This ideal customer, I do not believe, exists in abundance enough to be the main target. I believe they are reacting to criticism/suggestions and reaching out to those who are interested in their stuff but passed on previous releases.

If it's going to cost an arm and a leg, it'd better be a workstation. And if the current 'specialized' lines are already difficult to maneuver around, I can't image what to expect with 3 X the functionality in the same size box. Good luck with that.

I know it sounds awful and probably snobby but I hope the price puts some people off as it means the sounds will be more individual and not be all over the place.
Not snobby, jut silly. Price has nothing to do with 'sounds being all over the place' and if "your sound" is about the particular drum machine you use, you're in bad shape.

Unless of course, the landing point for your music is the elektron user forum, their soundcloud or yahoo group, then yes, you will probably sound like all the other noodlers. And I'm even curious how anyone stands out using ANY of their gear. Apparently all the elektron users (at least the ones who love their gear) all make the same stuff.

Probably the best reason ever to AVOID ANYTHING ELEKTRON.
I might buy this and start making music like the guy who bought their MDWMD+UWMTW 7 years ago.

All joking aside, I don't know anyone who's clamoring for that elektron sound.
I'd agree with all of that to be honest. The Elektron forum and community is full of people making the same music for sure but that's not to say it's bad music. It is geared to certain styles and a lot of people tend to stick with doing everything within Elektron hardware, obviously there is nothing wrong with that but it's not how I like to work at all. I use Elektron stuff to work with other gear not to do everything. The most elektron sounding track I have ever done was the one I submitted here for the comp the other month, but obviously that was the whole point of the comp to use one synth to do everything. Plus, it wasn't really my style. The elektron gear is so much more versatile than people think, they aren't just "IDM in a box" (I hate those genre tags) they can do anything you want and put in and there are people out there using and pushing them in all directions. The snobby comment was partly joking as I hope that my music does not have that typical Elektron sound to it anyway as 80% of the stuff I use in the MD is sampled from synths and various field recordings of mine. The main reason I use them is because of the interface. I have tried so many samplers and drum machines and none have suited me but Elektron was a revelation. Sue me ;)

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Looks nice:

Rob
Last edited by rob_lee on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Check out the new web page for the RYTM, which gives a very clear shot of the box and controls.

What's amazing is, with the exception of the pads, it's almost the exact same layout as the A4, thus making it easy for A4 owners to quickly get used to the control surface.

Oh, and $1,549 list, too.

Yes, I'm GAS'ing hard for this! :lol:
Last edited by Aaron2 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.