New Elektron Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: New Elektron Machine

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:54 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:Gear shed complete. Preorder payment sent.
Where did you order it?
JRRshop
Last edited by Sir Nose on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 am

calaverasgrande wrote:the more demo vids I see, of the new Elektron devices the less excited I am.
It just doesnt sound terribly analog to me. But rather it comes off as a really good rompler.
I know this is largely due to the kind of mainstream sounding patches they use (and thank god no dubstep).
But I wish these demos did more to demonstrate a range of possibilities rather than try to hit all the popular timbres.
Even when i was filming him, every time it started sounding really good and analog, he backed off, and it gave me a sad.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 am

I think I need to stop watching the demo vids until after I have one on order.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:31 am

8 voice analog with user sample input, but somewhat of a cluttered interface...

I can deal with that!!!

:bye:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:55 pm

https://soundcloud.com/elektron/sets/an ... o-examples
Official demos. Sounds great to me, but I already paid for mine so...

Specs and details are up.

All voices have identical digital sample playback engine, overdrive circuit and multimode filter. The difference lies in the specialized percussion sound generators, each designed to generate a specific class of analog drum sounds:

The BD, SD, and RS/CP voices all have a drum sound generator that is basically a small but very flexible dual-oscillator synthesizer capable of a wide array of percussive and electronic sounds. In addition to this, the RS/CP voice has a special circuitry for rimshot synthesis.

The BT voice has a resonant single-oscillator percussion sound generator capable of deep toms and classic boomy bass drum sounds.

The LT and MT/HT voices also have resonant single-oscillator percussion sound generators, but of a more general percussion nature.

The CH/OH voice has a six-oscillator metallic sound generator with several different synthesis methods for creating hihat sounds.

The CY/CB voice also has a six-oscillator metallic sound generator, but with several methods of synthesizing cymbals and cowbells.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:12 am

Really looking forward to getting my mitts on this. :thumbsup:

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:18 pm

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 am

I missed the first round but they're back in stock! Ordered! :dancer:

Anyone here get one from the first batch?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat May 17, 2014 12:23 pm

I am eagerly awaiting the 2nd batch. I am number 5 on the list with JRR and they only received two units so far. Hopefully, it will arrive there next week and be to me a couple of days later.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu May 22, 2014 2:49 am

Damn, son. That was FAST. Shipped yesterday from Sweden. Arrived in Brooklyn today!

Elektron does s**t RIGHT. Even the swanky packaging told me that.

Since I got this with the plan of replacing the Tempest, I'll compare the two. Compared to the DSI Tempest, it was a lot faster to get up and running, partly due to Elektron's smart "Getting Started Manual," as opposed to DSI's arcane manual. But the interface also works exactly as you'd expect. You might have to look something up but once you have you're good to go. With the DSI, the functions were never where I'd think to put them and often a menu too deep for my liking. While the DSI does have dedicated knobs for some parameters like filter, I actually found that annoying because having a soft knob and a dedicated knob made it overly complex. (TWSS.) With the Rytm, all of the synth/sample/fx/filter/amp/LFO parameters are controlled by the 8 soft knobs. Just click the button for filter and you got the filter parameters. The crisp display tells you what's going on. And no deep menu dives--just a "shift" function to give buttons dual functions. I actually find this a cleaner interface. Sometimes too many options is a bad thing. Playing with the Rytm, I did kind of miss the Tempest's sliders. But the parameter lock is super cool and almost makes up for it.

The Rytm's analog engine is perhaps a bit more old school. It's more like an 808 where each sound type is its own voice--a bass drum, a clap, etc. While each sound may not be quite as flexible as the Tempest's open-ended voices, a bass drum can be programmed to sound nothing like a bass drum--or very close to an 80s unit if you want traditional. I've not yet added my own samples but that option obviously blows the doors wide open on sound options. And, as you can program or play the pads chromatically, it can get close to a groovebox song-maker,especially with sampling.

Summary
The Tempest wins in terms of flexibility, playing it as a poly synth, being an all-in-one groovebox, and the neat sliders.
The Elektron wins in the UI, balancing simplicity with flexibility, storing/saving, allowing user samples, and the promise of more features to come.

So, it might depend on what you are looking for. But for me, the Rytm looks to be the perfect drum machine.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:17 am

Good review! Now I'm really salivating for this thing! Maybe a Father's Day present to myself? :lol:

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Great review, GuyaGuy. This box is a must-have.
Sonic state featuring Dataline:

[youtube][/youtube]

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu May 22, 2014 4:08 pm

maybe we will see a glut of used Tempests flooding the market.
a boy can dream right?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Regarding the realtime start and end point manipulation of samples, I wonder if it's possible to make it snap to transient peaks? That would be great for realtime breakbeat manipulation

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:05 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:maybe we will see a glut of used Tempests flooding the market.
a boy can dream right?
It's already starting. I just picked one up for a very attractive price on eBay. They're really starting to pop up on the 'Bay if you're interested. ;)