New Elektron Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hallu

Re: New Elektron Machine

Post by Hallu » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 am

I have my MachineDrum UW mk1 up for sale on eBay if you want to explore Elektron beats for SUPER cheap ;)

(full disclosure - I would profit from you buying my MachineDrum UW mk1)

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 am

megamanx wrote:If you get the octatrack prepare to set a lo of time aside to learn it.
I'm so finding this out right now. Had the OT a week and haven't even scratched the surface although i'm scratching my head mucho lol.
I really like it though and shall stick with it, I learned the A4 and AR in a short space of time but the OT is another story.

Rob

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:37 am

Yeah the OT is a very deep machine, took me about a month to really understand it inside out, but there are still a couple of functions I forget from time to time.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah the OT is a very deep machine, took me about a month to really understand it inside out, but there are still a couple of functions I forget from time to time.
Yes this is exactly the problem I have with the OT... forgetting how I did something and scratching my head trying to remember. This wasn't the case with any other Elektron gear it was pretty much a week or two when I could use them pretty much ok but this OT is a different mater. Like I say though it'll be worth the time to learn it cause it's just a great bit of gear.

Rob

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:26 pm

So now there's this.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:18 pm

That new software looks dope! The comments above regarding the Octatrack and its steep learning curve, makes me think I may want to get the Rytm first and the Octa perhaps at a later point.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 am

In other Rytm news...Pro-Modular offers plexi end cheeks for Elektron gear. I got a trans red set for my Rytm and now I can use it without having to stand over it. Yay.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 am

Hugo76 wrote:That new software looks dope! The comments above regarding the Octatrack and its steep learning curve, makes me think I may want to get the Rytm first and the Octa perhaps at a later point.
I would say the opposite, learn the harder one first when you don't have the distraction of the one you already know sitting around.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Hugo76 wrote:That new software looks dope! The comments above regarding the Octatrack and its steep learning curve, makes me think I may want to get the Rytm first and the Octa perhaps at a later point.
Assuming your high post count means you're not a newbie to the world of sound design and synthesis, don't let the Octatrack scare you. I've heard some people say it takes months to learn, but I got mine in the mail Friday and I'm already up to speed enough where I'm having a blast, and have a decent knowledge of most things it does. I think the months of experience go toward finding the quickest way to things, and getting certain things to work the first time. For example, sampling requires a handful of settings to be on or in the right mode, so if you're missing one, it can be frustrating to think you've just sampled and hear nothing out. But I'm only 5 days in and have the hang of it.
Last edited by Kidney05 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I would say the opposite, learn the harder one first when you don't have the distraction of the one you already know sitting around.
You may have a point there, sir.

@kidney:
Yeah, I think you're right. In any case I'm going to study the tutorial videos and then make my decision. Cheers