New Elektron Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: New Elektron Machine

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:47 pm

$1850? Yikes. There's so many analog polys I could get for that kind of money.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm

None of which would have the elektron sequencer, parameter locks, the ability to use more than 1 preset per channel assigned to individual steps, etc.

Certainly you could compare this to other analog polysynths, but this is so much more than that and brings a ton of functionality not found in other synths, especially analog ones.

I'm still more interested in the normal version sans keys, as I can just hook up to one of my existing keys for that functionality, but as an all in one solution, the keys version seems pretty awesome!

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I read the FAQs on the website. Internal power supply!!! Kudos to Elektron for staying away from the wall wart.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I dunno. Yeah, features, yay for features. Still, when I could buy at least three good vintage polys or one major classic for the price of this, I think it would make me question how much I really want the fancy doodads.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

The CV functionality on this and the Analog 4 are very compelling. Imagine sequencing super tight(i.e. robotic) bass lines in a Minibrute or anything else with CV/gate inputs.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:22 pm

I just ordered the module version, as mentioned before don't need the keys, already have too many keysynths, but the OS update is worth buying it. I guess if you don't own a. poly analog keyboard synth, cv interface, and sequencer, it must be a good value.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:33 pm

So if this finally means the A4 gets a proper poly mode, I'm sure as h**l tempted about that one again... The Analog Keys is a nice and logical move from Elektron, congrats!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:33 pm

seems intriguing, surely.
i'll be hunting one down to goof with for a bit...until then here's my initial reaction

-has a lovely sounding tri wave
-the poly modes are very creative, and linked to the sequencer which has per-step settings
-the fx sound good and are welcome (to be expected, really) in a new synth

on the other hand
- 4 voices is rather lean, polywise. and compounding this, 3 octaves suggests designating it to right OR left-hand duties during live use, while using another synth for bass or vice-versa. but then again the buzz of today is less can be more! ...right? :|
- such an uh, evocative/imaginative/poetic name and interface....and right after a korg analog called 'keys' debuts (an unfortunate yet ultimately forgivable derp). come to think of it, derp would be a better name than analog keys, especially if it's as awesome as we hope it is. be weird - whatever- just please don't be as generic as wall mart in naming your synth again, elektron.
- X/Ys are super-siiiick...but they're not modwheels. i would have liked at least a return-to-zero modulation controllerfor whammys, undulations and such, doods. a ribbon would be sweeeet, or perhaps the tilt-detector like on the radikal accelerator and in phones....i dunno, something besides just the aftertouch and a single x/y stick. call me greedy.
- the elektron-ified clicky-button interface may or may not work so well. it just initially 'reeks' of computer-keyboard..on a synth that probably should have more than 10 knobs. i have an Octatrack and it's OK; but it's one thing for a sequencer-y drum/groove whatever to give positive (and audible in this case) tactile feedback, but on a synth i find the smoother and more unambiguous the dials and switches feel, the better. we shall see if this is an aesthetic/UI boo-boo or not.

so (apart from the 3 octave limit) what we have here is a semi-viable alternative (but very different sounding) to a Jupiter 4, CS-50 or mofo, if that's you're bag. and also some welcome modern accoutrements, elektron-stylee. techno and synth-pop freaks rejoice - you've got a new axe to wield!
otoh church/cover/prog guys...go be boring! (or get high and keep praying to Bob for a new moog poly)

perhaps they're releasing a Big Brother to this with a full knobby interface and at least 5 octaves, 8 voices, modwheels yada...one can hope :ugeek:
Last edited by shaft9000 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I'm pretty into this - but interested to see what is in the box too.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:24 pm

I just keep thinking about this when I read forums on the mystery elektron product
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:15 pm

So when do we get to find out what's in this box thingy? Hopefully before NAMM :geek:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:45 am

Hybrid88 wrote:That would be great if it was that price, fingers crossed we don't get the typical Aussie pricing :roll:
$2299. The dollar's at 88c US at the moment, guess we can blame that.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:That would be great if it was that price, fingers crossed we don't get the typical Aussie pricing :roll:
$2299. The dollar's at 88c US at the moment, guess we can blame that.
Ah guess so, it'll probably be all of one place in Aus that stocks it anyway haha :lol:

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:12 am

Z wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:I think this looks like a great machine, but what's the street price going to be? If you take the Analog Four at $1,300 plus the +drive already installed (which itself is $400), keyboard, etc., this has got to be in the $2,000+ range.
Didn't someone say that the +Drive is already present in the A4 but will be "unlocked" with a new OS?
I'd like some confirmation on that. If that's true, I'd have a hard time justifying the AK, which is essentially just the A4 with keys with a much larger capacity for storing patches. Why not just buy the A4 and upgrade to the new OS, right?

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:31 am

OK, I think I've answered my own question. If you check out Elektron's Facebook page, in answer to a recent question about whether "there be an os update in order to make the previous a4 owners have polyphony access," Elektron said the following:
Elektron Music Machines wrote:Yes, free OS upgrade featuring - among many things - polyphony and +Drive storage coming for the Analog Four. Will be released Dec 9, same day as the Analog Keys starts to ship.
So I guess that's all the confirmation we need. I've also been surfing Elektron's forum, and some users have said that the +Drive hardware is already present on the PCB. It just needs to be "unlocked."

Having polyphony is also a big deal, too, of course.