New Elektron Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: New Elektron Machine

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm so stoked on the +drive update, I have already had to start deleting patterns to make new ones.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I'm so stoked on the +drive update, I have already had to start deleting patterns to make new ones.
I'm stoked because I was on the fence about buying an A4, and then I heard about the much more expensive AK, which seemed to have many advantages over the A4. As it turns out, it really doesn't, other than the keyboard, and a few other minor features. As my wife will tell you, I sure as h**l don't need any more keyboard instruments! :lol:

So I think it'll be the A4 + free OS update for me. :headbang:

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:26 pm

the Ak seems really cool, I like the idea of using p locks while playing the keys. but it seems to be a little unbalanced visually, everything is shifted to far too the left it seems ( trivial details I know) maybe if it's enough room to fit an octatrack or an A4. sort of how you can fit a tetra on the mopho x4.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Any info on this other machine? Machinedrums out of stock on the site...

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:11 pm

interesting. The rumor is an analog drum machine over at muffs. This makes me think that even more so now. I hope its a machinedrum, octatrack, analog drum machine combo. B/c that would be titz

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:59 pm

phesago wrote: I hope its a machinedrum, octatrack, analog drum machine combo. B/c that would be titz
Add the ability to stream p**n on a full color display and I'm sold.

But, given Elektron's business model, you can get it all, sans p**n streaming, just buy the trio of machines. :roll:

I have the OT and MD. If the analog drum machine comes to life, which I think it will, I will be dumping gear over the next year while the OS gets sorted and then jump on a used unit. If gear sells quick and I have cash in hand ... doubt I'll be able to hold out.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:38 pm

I have no idea what to expect, but I'm not convinced the world needs another analog drum machine. The Machinedrum was unique in NOT being analog, thereby giving a whole range of new sounds and there's been a million new analog machines since then. Saying that, something a little more user friendly than the new MFB Tanzbar would be welcome--they got the sounds right, but the interface is a little too fiddly.
Do you even post on vse bro?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 pm

I agree. An analogue drum machine does not get my juices going particularly. They'd have to do something special with it to make it worthwhile and that something special would probably end up being digital. Because, I mean, what can you do with an elektron analogue drum machine that you couldn't do with a drm being controlled by an elektron Machine? Probably quite a bit knowing elektron ha, but right now it does not sound groundbreaking. I'd really be interested in an effects unit by them though.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:32 pm

My vote is an analog drum machine with an effects-box-worth-of-effects and filters.
An awesome sequencer and not much else.

Every analog box is a rehash and it's time someone took that sound and used it to do more.
Ya know, place it in a more interesting box.
Do that and "oh so much more".
I want to hear a SOUND worth envying, not an okay sound being manipulated.
[That, to me, would be the point of an analog engine]
(But I would consider digital/samples with analog filters and a mix of the two for effects)

Not little utility-toys, but an actual workstation. Yes, workstation.
Tempest is the sole contender right now.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

mute

Post by mute » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 pm

I don't know.. the idea of an analogue drum machine with parameter lock/sequencing seems pretty damn cool/unique to me, and I don't own a single elektron device.

I don't agree that there are alot of good options out there right now. There's really only a few and most of them are very lackluster, sound the same, boring, and/or absurdly priced for the quality and feature sets...either that or they're moderately featured, well built, but stupid expensive. The Tempest could use some competition.

Anyways.. The ability to essentially use multiple patches via p-lock per-track is quite awesome, and as far as I know unheard of on any other analogue drum machine. It all depends on the amount of control/modulation/envelopes/filters they put in the thing.. if that is indeed what they are releasing. Hopefully they're smart enough to put some interesting sound generation in there. I extremely doubt they're doing this, but normalized, intentional DC-Offsets would be a killer "waveform" option for generating all kinds of grainy goodness.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 am

Breaking news: the release of both the AK and the OS upgrade for the A4 have been pushed back a week.
Elektron Music Machines wrote:Due to circumstances beyond our control, the sale and shipping dates for Analog Keys have been pushed forward one week. Sorry about that!
This post appeared on Facebook.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:47 am

mute wrote:Anyways.. The ability to essentially use multiple patches via p-lock per-track is quite awesome, and as far as I know unheard of on any other analogue drum machine.
The MFB Tanzbar does this (more of a parameter record, but basically the same thing).
Do you even post on vse bro?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am

I saw that, It says "pushed forward" though. Does that mean things are going better than they anticipated?

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I saw that, It says "pushed forward" though. Does that mean things are going better than they anticipated?
They're not native English speakers, so they mistakenly said "pushed forward," even though they meant "pushed back." That correction in the same thread; I just didn't include it in my post.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:25 pm

*drum roll*

Analog drum machine. Pun intended. Daddy needs a new toy 8-)