A concise explanation of digital vs. analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: A concise explanation of digital vs. analog?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Aaron2 wrote:Wow, I really started a s**t-storm here, didn't I? :shock:
Aw, it's a common enough s**tstorm, happens over and over all around teh interwebz on a regular basis. :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 am

Aaron2 wrote:Wow, I really started a s**t-storm here, didn't I? :shock:
Perhaps, but I know that wasn't your intent. I think when people see the phrase "digital vs. analog" it's bound to cause a fit. But whereas most "digital vs. analog" threads draw battle lines asking which is better (and thus, deserve the resulting shitstorm), it seems to me you're simply trying to understand the actual mechanics behind the two, which is commendable. Perhaps someone here can point out an unbiased source that explains the difference. My apologies, as I cannot point out such a source.
You can't synthesize love

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 pm

This is not at all concise, but it is un-biased:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may98/a ... gital.html