Raffle for minimoog signed by Gary Numan

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Raffle for minimoog signed by Gary Numan

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:06 am

No, this is not Gary Numan's Minimoog, nor was it ever stated that it was. If you come to the conclusion that it is his, despite that it has never been stated that it was, you have to ask yourself "why would I assume that a rockstar would sign his own Minimoog?"
The Minimoog was NOT Gary Numan's Minimoog. But it does sport his signature. Why? Because the Bob Moog Foundation was present at Mountain Oasis, where Gary Numan was performing, and asked him to sign it for the benefit of this promotion. As it clearly states in the promotion.
The Bob Moog Foundation is a nonprofit devoted to promoting the legacy of Bob Moog. It does so by preserving Bob Moog's work through education, archiving, outreach, and various events. Such work is extremely expensive, and fundraising is challenging AND expensive. To survive, the Bob Moog Foundation must raise funds. Efforts like this raffle help it continue to educate children about the science of sound AND keep Bob Moog's legacy alive (in a fashion that isn't simply to make money).

Irrespective of anything else, here is a chance to own a Minimoog for $20. If you win, you won the deal of a lifetime. If you don't win, you help a small but motivated nonprofit achieve its goals of educating kids and preserving Bob Moog's legacy. If you have a problem with either of those things... I just have to ask... what is wrong with you?

There is nothing sketchy about Bob Moog Foundation raffles at all. The 2012 raffle featuring a Voyager signed by Moogfest 2011 artists like Moby, Brian Eno, Terry Riley, and Wayne Coyne was won by a guy in South Africa. Because the Foundation didn't make provisions for international winners in its boilerplate, it ended up spending a TREMENDOUS amount of money getting the winner the Voyager. As the POINT of a raffle is to raise money, the entity raffling needs to make sure that international winners are responsible for shipping and duties. If that's not cool with you, that's very fair. But don't blame a small nonprofit trying to raise money for a worthy cause for trying to protect the money raised through its efforts.

Now go and enter! This Minimoog was made MIDI-capable by Rich Walborn. It is a pre-oscillator-upgrade Minimoog, which means it has an awesome tone. It also has new features like sync and an adjustable pitch bend. And thank you! Your entry not only puts you in the running, but also helps educate kids and protect Bob Moog's legacy.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: [...] you have to ask yourself "why would I assume that a rockstar would sign his own Minimoog?" [...]
To raise funds for BMF? After all, his autograph would make it even more attractive for people potentially interested, wouldn´t it? Why else would they boast that "it´s signed by Gary Numan"?

After all, Gary found a Mini Moog rotting away in his garage some time ago. About time to get rid of that old junk... there is no better way of getting some public exposure ("Gary who...? Wait a minute, this name does ring a bell with me... ah, that Automobiles Gary something").

One thing I forgot to ask: If Bob Moog´s legacy is so important, why didn´t they take better care of it when he was still alive? According to some sources, it must have been in really bad shape...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:37 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:To raise funds for BMF? After all, his autograph would make it even more attractive for people potentially interested, wouldn´t it? Why else would they boast that "it´s signed by Gary Numan"?
Um... yeah! As you're plainly unaware, let me tell you: The Bob Moog Foundation, proud participant of Moogfests past, has had synthesizers signed by Moogfest artists in order to support its educational and preservational efforts. This year was no different, except that the former Moogfest has become Mountain Oasis. This year, instead of getting a Moog Voyager, we thought we'd go vintage and acquire a genuine Moog Minimoog. And, as we have in previous years, we had a performing artist sign it. Because this is a vintage synth, we limited the signing to a single desirable artist: Gary Numan.
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:After all, Gary found a Mini Moog rotting away in his garage some time ago. About time to get rid of that old junk... there is no better way of getting some public exposure ("Gary who...? Wait a minute, this name does ring a bell with me... ah, that Automobiles Gary something").
This is plainly NOT the synthesizer found in Gary's attic... but that thing would undoubtedly draw some interest due to its history, as well!
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:One thing I forgot to ask: If Bob Moog´s legacy is so important, why didn´t they take better care of it when he was still alive? According to some sources, it must have been in really bad shape...
Do you really think Bob Moog's legacy was in bad shape? I, and I'm sure others, would love to hear why you think that. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:32 am

I don't mind paying shipping (+ related) expenses for having it delivered to my door: my main beef was that it wasn't clear if non-US citizens could participate. If not from other people here, I would not have known that the previous winner was an international one...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:22 am

$20 for a chance to win a minimoog (which I'd take over a voyager any day), signed by one of the most famous minimoog users, with all proceeds going to charity, and still people are complaining? :?

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah, I'm in. $20 for a 1/1200 chance? I can afford that gamble.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:47 pm

dustinh wrote:$20 for a chance to win a minimoog (which I'd take over a voyager any day), signed by one of the most famous minimoog users, with all proceeds going to charity, and still people are complaining? :?
I

It's their overbearing publicity. Seems like these days I can't even turn on the TV without hearing Bob Moog foundation this and Bob Moog Foundation that...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:
dustinh wrote:$20 for a chance to win a minimoog (which I'd take over a voyager any day), signed by one of the most famous minimoog users, with all proceeds going to charity, and still people are complaining? :?
I

It's their overbearing publicity. Seems like these days I can't even turn on the TV without hearing Bob Moog foundation this and Bob Moog Foundation that...
You forgot the " ;)"

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:38 pm

I am a little surprised by the negativity to be honest.
There is a minimoog up for offer, possibly for as little as $20.
If you don't have an interest, then you are not compelled to participate.
The fact that it is signed by Gary Numan, who tweeted
Finished our set at Mountain Oasis. Fantastic reaction. Very happy. Waiting to see @nineinchnails before we leave for Washington DC. GN. We even got to hang out in the Moog room. The machine that changed my life. GN pic.twitter.com/PyhDwycc3R
at the time of the festival, just makes it all that more special.
For me, I would probably not have become interested in synths if it hadn't been for the minimoog, it was Tubeway Armys "Are Friens Electric?" that aroused the interest in me.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 pm

When Gary Numan appeared on Saturday Night Live in January 1980, there were five Minimoogs in his band (I was surprised that this is not on Youtube, at least I couldn't find it there). Here is Gary Numan's performance of Cars on SNL. I was unable to find a clip of their second song Praying to the Aliens. Is that a Moog Satellite or Minitmoog to his left? What is that?

http://bubblare.se/movie/gary_numan_cars_live_snl_1980

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:18 pm

BluMunk wrote:Yeah, I'm in. $20 for a 1/1200 chance? I can afford that gamble.
While you´re at it, you can also enter the Yamaha CS80 raffle I´m about to hold on Christmas Eve this year.

20 US$ will get you a ticket, but you will have to organise shipping yourself.

If you wish, I can have my neighbour sign the CS.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:03 pm

AnalogKid wrote:When Gary Numan appeared on Saturday Night Live in January 1980, there were five Minimoogs in his band (I was surprised that this is not on Youtube, at least I couldn't find it there). Here is Gary Numan's performance of Cars on SNL. I was unable to find a clip of their second song Praying to the Aliens. Is that a Moog Satellite or Minitmoog to his left? What is that?

http://bubblare.se/movie/gary_numan_cars_live_snl_1980
It's a Roland SH-2000. Gary apparently used one to some extent on Replicas, eg for the little noises on "Praying to the aliens".
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 am

AnalogKid wrote:When Gary Numan appeared on Saturday Night Live in January 1980, there were five Minimoogs in his band (I was surprised that this is not on Youtube, at least I couldn't find it there). Here is Gary Numan's performance of Cars on SNL. I was unable to find a clip of their second song Praying to the Aliens.
Gary Numan : Praying To The Aliens

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
While you´re at it, you can also enter the Yamaha CS80 raffle I´m about to hold on Christmas Eve this year.

Stephen
Far out, what's your problem?
:roll:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:35 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
While it should be the intent of anyone to open up a raffle to any who are interested (for the benefit of their contribution to the cause), there are limitations that occur when that idea includes opening a raffle to countries that are not present upon the continent upon which the raffle-holder is situated.

The raffle itself is not a charity for people who think it should make less money so that they can enter. It is a fundraising for a historical and educational foundation which is nonprofit in nature.

That being the case, if you want to win a Minimoog for US$20 plus shipping, you should enter! I probably don't need to point out that whatever the shipping would be, it would still be vastly less than the cost of an actual Minimoog. Or, maybe I do.
And since we're being very clear: you don't have to pay shipping if you don't win!