Thoughts on the V50?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Smoking_Gnu

Re: Thoughts on the V50?

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Erp, forgot I was talking about the DX7-S earlier, my apologies. In terms of my current pursuit, I was wondering how much of an improvement the SY77 would be over the V50, since I may be able to pick up the former for half its normal resell price.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I was under the impression that the DX7s is basically a DX7-II minus the split/layer capability and extra memory?
smaller LCD display too.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

wildpaws
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Post by wildpaws » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Smoking_Gnu wrote:Erp, forgot I was talking about the DX7-S earlier, my apologies. In terms of my current pursuit, I was wondering how much of an improvement the SY77 would be over the V50, since I may be able to pick up the former for half its normal resell price.
The SY77 offers 6 operator but improved AFM synthesis, it is capable of so much more than the FM of the DX7 and DX7II series, SY77 also has AWM sample synthesis and you can combine AWM and AFM using RCM synthesis. Decent sequencer onboard, decent effects and thousands of patches available on the internet. I bought my SY77 in '89/'90 and it immediately became my primary synth, added an SY99 a few years ago. The SY77 can be brought up to date by loading new patches or if you like programming you can make your own. I still think the SY77/99 are two of the most underrated synths out there and capable of so much more than the factory presets show.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Wow, definitely sounds better than the V50 then. Think I'll try to see if I can snag this one up. I already have a couple patches I programmed on the V50 that I'd like to transfer over - Is there any way I could easily do that? (I have Midi Quest, if that would help.)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:12 pm

SY77 also has a filter, unlike the DX synths. They don't really need filters since the FM synthesis provides a very similar function.

The SY is by far the bigger and better synth. It also has a full inbuilt effects section, reverb, delay, chorus and more.
The V50 was released a couple years earlier and is not nearly as well featured.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm

If you strive for a strictly DX machine then it will offer just that...but be warned that the SY77 is not for everybody. I ended up selling mine (+ the blue lcd screen I had just bought and 5 sets of rom/data cards) because it was not exactly what I needed at the time although it provides everything I was looking for in a synth. It's a rather big keyboard as well but I've kept my eyes on another since. It's a classic if you know how to use it.