Bottom Ten Worst Synths of All Time

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Bottom Ten Worst Synths of All Time

Postby drawtippy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 am

Argh...a controversial thread she be!
clubbedtodeath wrote:Happened to me once. It's dust/dirt in the encoder. A quick spray with circuit board cleaner (about £5) and you're good to go.
You must have been lucky, mine spent 2 weeks at home and 4 months in the shop waiting for new encoders. It was right when Novation was being sold? and nobody was in a hurry to fix the problem. I sold it "as is" on the bay and took a loss.

monolith wrote:The vse rating system isn't the most reliable, but f**k it - if you enjoy the synth then who gives a s**t!
Yes, and yes.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox
drawtippy

Band: Draw Tippy

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am

I didn't see any mention of the Cheetah MS800..

A truly dreadful synth with c**p sound and terrible user interface.. has to be a contender for one of the worst ever

:mrgreen:
Soft: MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, Logic X, Reason7, Korg legacy, Diva, ACE, Alchemy,
Hard: Oberheim 4-Voice, Emulator II, 2x Emax IIs, E-Synth, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld KB, AS Telemark, Leipsig-S and Vostok DLux. plus many more
Chevytraveller

Gear: Obie-4V, Emulator II, 2x Emax IIs, E-Synth, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld KB, AS Telemark, Leipsig-S and Vostok DLux.. plus many more
Band: Speak & Spell

Postby elmosexwhistle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:41 pm

The TG33 is STUNNING. Rig it up to sound diver and dig in!

Crunchy, Gritty 12 bit waves, Beautiful, naive 90s digital chorus, insane distortion. Enough waves and a deep synth engine give you a massive amount of sounds. From 80's schlock horror to beautiful pad sounds that would grace any 90's documentary video. Also all kinds of mad industrial basses and percussion.

Mind you it's very digital sounding. I love everything digital, FM, artefacts, aliasing, stepping, etc. this is what growing up playing Sega does to you I guess, so not one for the analogue purist crowd. Still if you want an interesting digital synth to give you something new for your setup of Roland's, MOOGs and Oberheims, then check it out :p

Here's a demo:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j89tpcw3aecz84a

I'll give the patches to anyone who wants them.
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:25 pm

The TG33 definitely seems cool. This guy's demo has made me want one for a few years. They are climbing in price so get them now before digital is the new analog.
Watch on youtube.com
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby pflosi » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Mine died recently, a real pity :cry:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Kenneth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:The TG33 is STUNNING. Rig it up to sound diver and dig in!

Crunchy, Gritty 12 bit waves, Beautiful, naive 90s digital chorus, insane distortion. Enough waves and a deep synth engine give you a massive amount of sounds. From 80's schlock horror to beautiful pad sounds that would grace any 90's documentary video. Also all kinds of mad industrial basses and percussion.

Mind you it's very digital sounding. I love everything digital, FM, artefacts, aliasing, stepping, etc. this is what growing up playing Sega does to you I guess, so not one for the analogue purist crowd. Still if you want an interesting digital synth to give you something new for your setup of Roland's, MOOGs and Oberheims, then check it out :p

Here's a demo:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j89tpcw3aecz84a

I'll give the patches to anyone who wants them.

I like it. I think it sounds a bit (or a lot) like a SID chip. I'd love to try one in person.
Comparison is the thief of joy.
Kenneth

Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers