The NeverEnding STory

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: The NeverEnding STory

Post by synthroom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Micke wrote:Here you can watch a documentary on the making of "Take My Breath Away" (in Swedish with English subtitles):
http://www.svtplay.se/video/1656377/del ... -subtitles
That was fantastic! Thanks for linking to it.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 pm

You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it :)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Zamise wrote:Sounds like a simple up/down arp. Just have to figure which keys for each chord. Not sure if Jup8 was capable, but it sounds like it could be done by layering two voices or two oscs with one having a slightly slower attack and panned more to one side which would be more likely, or easier to do with a second synth being triggered by the first's arp or it was set with the same single note in to multiple note arp, because it sounds like there was even a third synth layered doing the same chords no arp, probably the one they were actually playing. My two cents and run on sentence.
Im glad to see that you have noticed the same as I, regarding the difference in the attack. That's one of the reasons why I think this was not just a delay running.

Im happy to see the great interest, and thanks Micke for the background info. I was kind of hoping you knew something, as you have earlier shared your info about Arthur Barrows Work with Moroder.

Im still looking for the needle in the hay.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm

In the 12" Mix

I noticed how there was used a fast short delay on the kickdrum and the "picky guitar". This effect might have been used on the arpeggio aswell to make a more pulsating sound. I have earlier spotted how Moroder is quite fond of using this when sequencing.
Well I did try it, and it definitely sounds to be somehow in the right direction... it makes the distance to that clean Square wave sound. Still it misses that effect like two arpeggios are running differently from each other.

@Micke - So the Linndrum was simply controlling the tempo of the Jupiter 8 arpeggiator, but besides form that, the arpeggiator mode of the Jupiter-8 was working on it's own?
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Arthur thinks the arpeggios on the song was a combo of the Jup-8 arp and the Serge analog
shift register which created a melodic cascading note chase.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Faced with this kind of thing, I'd shove the uncertain part into a DAW and play it back note by note, and just take it piecemeal.
I assume you mean that you would record the song's audio into your DAW? But then what would you do next?

In some programs, like the super-pricey version of Ableton, I believe recorded audio can be turned into MIDI, which would seem perfect for a project like this. In essence, the DAW would "transcribe" the arpeggio for you – at least if I'm understanding correctly how that feature works in Ableton. Unfortunately, I use the lower-priced version, which does not have this feature, so I don't have any firsthand experience with it.
Nothing to do with MIDI, just audio. Shove the track into your DAW, and just select and play small sections, which enables you to pick out individual notes more easily than having to hit rewind on youtube... it's a listening exercise.

philip

Post by philip » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Micke wrote:You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it :)
Yes, that was an excellent staff.

BTW, Micke, don't you accidentally know, what's been used in here? Especially that sequence and the bass.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't have much info on the making of that score other than that Sylvester Levay arranged & played the synths on the material
produced by Moroder. However, I think the synths were pretty much the same as the ones used on the earlier Cat People score; i.e.
Prophet 5, Jupiter-8, Minimoog and possibly Synclavier as well.

Calyxicon

Post by Calyxicon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 am

Glen Staffieri Jr has worked out the sequencer part here: