Modern Analog Synth Comp VOTE HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Choose your favorite track

Poll ended at Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 am

1. Nothing Will Ever Be the Same
3%
2. Drumentalist
5%
3. Approaching the Box (A4)
8%
4. Twelve Thirteen (DSI Poly Evolver)
8%
5. Information Retrieval (Korg Ms20 Mini)
22%
6. The Great War (Korg Volca Beats & Bass)
3%
7. Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen (Arturia Microbrute)
3%
8. They Called Me Mono! (Korg Ms20 Mini)
5%
9. No Refunds (Korg Ms20 Mini)
3%
10. The Never Ending Mono (Dave Smith Mopho)
35%
11. FunkyDumpFin
5%

Total votes: 37

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Re: Modern Analog Synth Comp VOTE HERE!

Post by dustinh » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Aaron2 wrote:I posted "Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen" - the only track performed with an Arturia MicroBrute. Well, thanks to my mom for voting for me; otherwise, I wouldn't have received any votes at all! :lol: To be honest, that was the very first complete track I've ever tried to compose and record, so even though it wasn't successful here, it was still a milestone for me.
Success isn't always measured in terms of winning or losing, but by doing something you haven't before. It really was a good entry, and I'm not just saying that. I really love the sound design aspect of it. You had some interesting buzzy sounds and the mix was quite clean, not muddy, and everything could be heard clearly. With a little more improvement in the composition, it would have been a real contender. Sometimes I never finish things because I become too much of a perfectionist. However, it's far more important to make the effort and finish tracks even if you think you could have done better, than never to finish anything because you aren't satisfied. To become better, it's important to finish things, so congrats on pushing yourself to finish a song :D I hope you compete in the next contest.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 pm

dustinh wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:I posted "Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen" - the only track performed with an Arturia MicroBrute. Well, thanks to my mom for voting for me; otherwise, I wouldn't have received any votes at all! :lol: To be honest, that was the very first complete track I've ever tried to compose and record, so even though it wasn't successful here, it was still a milestone for me.
Success isn't always measured in terms of winning or losing, but by doing something you haven't before. It really was a good entry, and I'm not just saying that. I really love the sound design aspect of it. You had some interesting buzzy sounds and the mix was quite clean, not muddy, and everything could be heard clearly. With a little more improvement in the composition, it would have been a real contender. Sometimes I never finish things because I become too much of a perfectionist. However, it's far more important to make the effort and finish tracks even if you think you could have done better, than never to finish anything because you aren't satisfied. To become better, it's important to finish things, so congrats on pushing yourself to finish a song :D I hope you compete in the next contest.
Thanks, I really appreciate the words of encouragement! :) Yes, you're right, it was a milestone simply to compose and record something, and I get that. I think the key is practice. I need to do it more.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 am

I don't think Drumentalist has been explained yet, but everyone else has. I like the hybrid idea!

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 am

Cool. Yes, I'd like to do a hybrid comp, but I'm worried that we might not get enough people to join. There really aren't a ton of hybrids out there.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 am

Well, you could do a poll like we did for this one just to gauge interest. You could leave it running until, say, January or whenever we're going to start the next one, and decide then.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

dustinh

Post by dustinh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 am

Perhaps I will create a poll and a new thread just to get some ides going. I figured we can start the new contest sometime in January or February depending on how many people show interest.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am

How about not using synths JUST effects? ;)

synthypoo

Post by synthypoo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:30 am

Well I've discovered this forum, this thread and the Korg MS20 mini too late but I have a short track/noodle/improvisation featuring only the MS20 mini - no sequencer or MIDI, just recorded in the first day with the instrument. Not the usual EDM but not BUG either.Hope you like.