Is the synthesizer simply an "improved" form of piano ??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Is the synthesizer simply an "improved" form of piano ??

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm

cornutt wrote:Regarding Moog and Deutsch, my own reading had led me to the conclusion that once they had decided they needed a conventional means of control, the keyboard was simply the most convenient technology available. Given the technology at the time, something like, say, a guitar interface would have been very difficult. But if technology had been such that a guitar controller were the easiest way, my impression was that Bob at least would have been okay with that, since he himself didn't play a lot anyway.
That's true... it was really a practical decision instead of a creative one. However, it's not the only route they could have taken. Remember that the Trautonium had a ribbon, the Theremin used capacitance-sensing fields, the Ondes Martenot used a string... they could have gone with any of those! R.A. Moog Co. had been in business since 1953, and that was 11 years of professional theremin design!
I am thankful he went with the most practical choice, though.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 pm

They both have keys that sound a note when pressed. However a synth is a synth and a piano is a piano, so no!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:57 pm

cornutt wrote:As for the invention of voice allocation, I'm pretty sure it was someone at Oberheim
I wrote about dynamic voice allocation (as in multitimbral synths)...Ensoniq invented it with the ESQ-1.

Before that all multitimbral synths used fixed voice allocation where the user had to specify how many voices were to be used for each part.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 pm

One of the cooler keyboards I've seen recently was an ondes martenot string attached to a CV keyboard for the Analogue Systems modular that was displayed in a shop.

So you got both the string+ring and keyboard.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Bitexion wrote:One of the cooler keyboards I've seen recently was an ondes martenot string attached to a CV keyboard for the Analogue Systems modular that was displayed in a shop.
That's an Analogue Systems special-order product -- the French Connection. I'm pretty sure it also has the keyboard that moves left and right to create vibrato.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!