How do you get over the feeling of wanting to try so many

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

How do you get over the feeling of wanting to try so many

Post by Tiger Jackson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:49 pm

synths?

I myself, and kinda young (nineteen) so I missed out on a whole lot of the past. I have an urge to want to play/own so many synths but realistically I probably can't lol.

Ensoniq vfx, sd-1, ts10
Yamaha dx7
Alesis fusion, andromeda
Almost any Dave Smith
Korg ms-20

All come to mind
Even if I feel content enough with my current set and don't want to be over-bloated. :D

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: How do you get over the feeling of wanting to try so man

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Easy - you try them all ;D

In all seriousness, though, most of what you listed (aside from the DSI and Alesis stuff) can be had pretty affordably - I've seen VFXes for a couple hundred bucks, and DX7s are common as heck (I got mine off Craigslist for $250.) The MS-20 (as the MS-20 Mini) is a bit pricier, but still affordable. Your best approach is probably to look up as many in-depth demos as you can, get a feel for what you want, and then set about getting your hands on it. And bear in mind that if you don't find it as satisfying as you thought, you can always resell it, usually for at least what you paid for it. I've changed over a good half of my setup since I started getting into this hobby.

I can tell you from personal experience that, while you might be happy with your DX100, there really is a world of difference between the 4-op and 6-op DXes - not just in number of operators/algorithms, but in the complexity of the EGs and a certain something to the overall sound (at least with my Mk.1 DX7.) Once I got mine, I simply stopped using my V50 altogether - and I liked my V50. So if you like FM as you've heard it on the DX100, definitely give the DX7 a shot.

As for the MS-20, I can't recommend it enough. It's got a distinctive character that you really can't escape (that is to say, it's perfectly capable of all kinds of typical "analog" sounds, but it will always sound like an MS-20 doing those sounds,) but it's a very, very good distinctive character, and it's a terrific machine for just sitting down and spending hours mucking around and discovering new sounds on, as well as being quite a playable instrument once you bring the performance controls (wheel, trigger, and EG1) into play with the patch panel. If you're going to start with just one analog synth, the MS-20 would be an excellent choice.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 pm

My furniture shop is 4 miles south of DFW International Airport and 2 mile north of Six Flags Over Texas. If you find yourself visiting Dallas or have an extended layover at DFW, you're welcome to drop by my shop most weekdays: 11-4 and some Saturdays: 10-2 and check out the synths I have there and if you give me advanced notice, I can bring others from home.

On your list, I have a DX7IIFD at my shop (along with nearly 2 dozen other synths like P-10, P-VS, ProOne, MemMoog, MultiMoog, Source, Z-1, DS-8, D-50, K-5000S).

At home, I have Alesis Andromeda and Korg MS-20 (along with several dozen others).

A good way to check out several synths at once is to attend synth meets. I host a meet at my shop every autumn (search Dallas Synth Meet on YouTube to see videos of previous meets to see what people bring). Switched On in Austin always has at least a couple dozen synths on display to check out.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 pm

The way you get over wanting lots of synths is actually getting your hands on them and realizing you really don't find them that interesting after all :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:27 pm

You could also listen to the current VSE contest entries for the modern analog synth comp and you will realize how much you can do with just one synth.

I used to lust for every analog synth ever made. I still have my moments, but I'm more interested now in breaking the barrier (me) that separates me from making good sounding music.

You've already got more gear than me. You've got the ESQ-1 than can make very convincing analog poly sounds, you've got FM synthesis covered with the yamaha, the micro korg is a really nice sounding VA, and the fizmo is a truly unique synthesizer that hasn't been duplicated since. If you really feel the need to get something else, get yourself a nice analog mono synth and you'll have all the bases covered.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:38 pm

I strongly dispute the notion that "having your bases covered" in a general sense equals never having to be curious about other machines - a DX100 does not sound exactly like a DX7, and Lord knows this is even more true for analog gear. This is probably that old "minimal setup vs. maximal setup" argument rearing its head again...

That said, there is a lot to be said for getting to know and love the gear you already do have. I know I didn't appreciate my MS-20 Mini half as much before sitting down and doing a couple of tracks entirely on it - so many little nuances and tricks I learned just from doing that that I'd never anticipated when I first got it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:58 am

try every single one you've ever been interested in (that you can afford) - that's what I've done and filtered through them/got it out my system to arrive at some constants/keepers (V-Synth, JX-3P)

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 am

meatballfulton wrote:The way you get over wanting lots of synths is actually getting your hands on them and realizing you really don't find them that interesting after all :?

ding*

A bit jaded but true :lol:

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 am

commodorejohn wrote:I strongly dispute the notion that "having your bases covered" in a general sense equals never having to be curious about other machines.
Nowhere did I say that you can't be curious, nor should you stop buying new instruments. I'm just trying to stress how easy it is to fall into the trap of "if only I had this, I could do this or that". I've seen people with enough synths to start up a museum without making much music with them and conversely I know of artist making entire records from a couple pieces of equipment. I'm just offering some advice to getting over the craving to try out and buy every synth out there. I've done it by getting to know my small setup really well.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:43 am

Buy & sell, buy & sell. I started with just a microkorg and a few guitars when I was a teen and kept flipping stuff to buy more expensive gear to try... I also sampled a lot of it. Seems like some stuff is taking another dip in prices. You can get an MS20 for a grand if you persist. They were twice that last year when I bought mine then the mini came out. Korg rules. I hope they reissue the mono/poly soon so I can get an original on the cheap ;)
bonne chance

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 am

I face the same dilemna when it comes to women and the answer is the same for both: It self regulates. :(

Seriously though? I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no big music retailers within, say 100 miles of me. And there are very few people in my area that are really into synthesizers and samplers and all that stuff. So I can't just stroll into a store or go over to a buddy's house and try stuff out. My only option is to buy online and, as a result, I'm kind of a cheap-a*s and tend to buy older stuff because how would I know if I'll really like it? If I see a great deal where I could easily sell something on if I don't like it, I will bite if funds will allow.

So I'll see something that looks amazing and lust after it for awhile via Youtube vids and whatnot. But it usually passes on its own and I'll dream of the next thing that catches my eye. And then 3, 4 years down the road (lol) when second hand prices get where they need to be, I might finally get my hands on one. :) A constant state of flux, my brand of gearlust.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:18 am

You're young. Go out and experiment. Mono, poly, whatever gets you off. It's the 90s, man. Try Japanese ones, Germans, Americans, whatever. Stick your MIDI IN into the MIDI OUT. It's your MIDI. You can do with it what you want. h**l, CV your audio while you're at it. You're only young once.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:06 pm

On the FM in particular, I'd start with something that's cheap, to see if that's what you might be interested in. A lot of people find FM difficult and give up on it. I think you can still get a TX81Z on the Bay for about $100; it's 4-op as opposed to the 6-op FM of the DX7, but for a beginner that's probably an advantage. An alternative might be to buy a resale copy of FM8.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Try as many as you can when they happen to come your way. If they don´t... well, they were not meant to come your way, then.

The best way of quenching gear-lust is facing life and the way reality bites back, i. e. paying the electric bill, the plumber, your car´s new set of tires, diapers for the kid etc.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 am

For better FM, I'd look for a TG77. They're pretty cheap, plus they have a lot of extensions to FM beyond the DX7. I like mine more than my FS1R.

As far as gear addiction as a whole, it never goes away. I bought my first synth when I was 15. I'm now 42. I've had many synths, and currently have something like 15-20 (if I actually sat down to count them). Some of my synths are ho-hum, like my TG33, but many of them are very nice and rare like my Nord Modular, or my Yamaha VL1. I've got VAs (Nord Mod, MS2000, Z1) I've got FM (FS1R, TX802, TG77), I've got "vector" (TG33, Wavestation A/D), I've got romplers (EMU E-Synth, K2500R, EX5R), I've got additive (K5000S), I've got wavetable (Blofeld) and I've got modeling (VL1, WSA1, Z1).

Despite all that, I'm still always looking for an interesting synth. Right now I'm kind of keen on finding an Oberheim--probably a Matrix 1000 or 6R, but if I see something unique, that sounds different from what I have right now, it will fire up the addiction all over again.

We should all join a 12-step thing. I've already accepted that I'm powerless over my addiction, but I haven't quite admitted it's a problem yet.

Geof