Little Bits synth kit product engineer on NPR Science Friday

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Little Bits synth kit product engineer on NPR Science Friday

Post by natrixgli » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 pm

It's not every day you turn on the radio and hear dudes talking about Minimoogs and Alesis Andromedas. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I turned on NPR Science Friday and heard a guy talking about analog synthesizers.

The guests were Reggie Watts of Comedy Bang Bang and Little Bits product developer Paul Rothman. They discussed the Little Bits kit, synthesis in general, analog v. digital, looping, recording, etc. Very worthwhile listen.

In addition to the discussion about synthesis, Reggie Watts improvised a short tune using the Little Bits kit. Science Friday posted a short video about Little Bits, and you can listen to the audio from the show here.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Little Bits synth kit product engineer on NPR Science Fr

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for the link. Nice to listen to over the morning coffee ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm waiting for Sonicstate to demo these. From what I've seen, the concept is great, but in terms of audio quality, I'm very turned off by them. I'm holding out hope that the demos I've seen are just poorly done.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 pm

I think it's probably a mistake to expect anything but a toy from these, but yeah, it would be nice to hear more in-depth demos.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73