DSI Prophet 12 Module

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Re: DSI Prophet 12 Module

Post by bluntedcircuit » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Ha no it just made me look up the demo on YouTube by jexus. I know they're apples and oranges heh

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:41 am

... and if he was looking for a cheap PPG, he won't be disappointed!
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:58 am

celebutante wrote:... and if he was looking for a cheap PPG, he won't be disappointed!
I have to disagree - entirely.

As much as I like my SQ-80, it can't even approach anything remotely as ethereal, crisp, moving, grating, piercing, spiky or tough as a PPG. Shame on you, Mr. Sigman, you know this.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

philip

Post by philip » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 am

calyx93 wrote:
celebutante wrote:... and if he was looking for a cheap PPG, he won't be disappointed!
I have to disagree - entirely.

As much as I like my SQ-80, it can't even approach anything remotely as ethereal, crisp, moving, grating, piercing, spiky or tough as a PPG. Shame on you, Mr. Sigman, you know this.

Yes, that's the great myth that sq80 is a poor man's PPG, absolutely different league

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:00 am

I dont see how they relate at all. The SQ80 doesn't have wavetables, it just has 99 digital waveforms on each oscillator. Can't sweep through them like the PPG's..

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:01 am

Tried the Prophet 12 keyboard at a store here the other day. Nice, fun to play with, but won't be shelling out for it.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:39 am

Bitexion wrote:I dont see how they relate at all. The SQ80 doesn't have wavetables, it just has 99 digital waveforms on each oscillator...
digital sampled waveforms = wavetables

not being able to interpolate between different waveforms doesn't mean they still aren't wavetables.

And so yes it's true that an sq80 is never going to replicate that sound; however, they aren't exactly worlds apart: both have lo-fi sampled waveforms running into an analog filter, so it's not exactly difficult to get similar sounds. And anyway, there's a ton of sounds that the ensoniqs can do that the ppg can't.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:35 am

wavetables are a table of single cycle waves. Sq80's approach was through volume modulation. Wavetable modulation is instantly gratifying, and still super unique sounding..to me anyway. Love the Blofeld for this.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:29 pm

Jabberwalky wrote: Sq80's approach was through volume modulation.
Volume modulation of what?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:56 pm

The oscillators. They call it "cross wave".

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 am

Okay, so its basically a new-school ESQ-m/VS/Wavestation digital-analog hybrid without the limitations of those old-school synths.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I used to tell people that "if you want the old Vancouver Industrial sound (i.e. Skuppy, Front Line Assembly) in a single box, get an Evolver." From now on I think my response would have to be "get a Prophet 12 module."

Even the fact that there are hi-fi wavetables in this doesn't really matter since you can use the decimator effect to grunge them up. Its a 4u rackmount synth, right?

This really is a fantastic synth and I hope it sells quite well. A very interesting and novel and useful product!

Admittedly its a bit of a shame that its only bitimbral, but at least every voice is very flexible. It's also a bit sad that there's no input... I mean it would be great to be able to run external signals through those nice tasty analog Curtis chips. But hey, I can do that with my Evolver.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Andy_X69 wrote:Okay, so its basically a new-school ESQ-m/VS/Wavestation digital-analog hybrid without the limitations of those old-school synths.
I really wish that was the case (and I'd love for someone to prove that the P12 could cover the majority of the sounds on those synths)! I think this biggest limitation on the P12 is that it only has, what, 3 or 4 non-standard waveforms for wavetable modulation? My biggest hope was that there was going to be a plethora of digital waveforms in there, but that seems to be the one area they've given the least attention to. I realize they want to differentiate this from the previous line, but why not throw in the VS waves (or at least more than 3!) just for the h**l of it; it's not like they occupy any memory? Then someone could really make the argument that this was a "new" VS...

I really want it to be awesome (my time with it was limited to 20 mins in a store, so not really enough to form my own opinion), but as it stands, I can't see it replacing either a VS or an SQ-80 yet.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Yeah it looks like it has just "Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator" and "Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator." That's very different than the Evolver, which has 128 slots for waves, including user waves. Even the Tempest offers more in terms of oscillator variety.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Yeah it looks like it has just "Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator" and "Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator." That's very different than the Evolver, which has 128 slots for waves, including user waves. Even the Tempest offers more in terms of oscillator variety.
But IIRC each of these wave shapes is effectively a wavetable anyway, not a static waveform. This does give the oscillators a lot more variety than you're giving them credit for,
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:28 am

Andy_X69 wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Yeah it looks like it has just "Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator" and "Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator." That's very different than the Evolver, which has 128 slots for waves, including user waves. Even the Tempest offers more in terms of oscillator variety.
But IIRC each of these wave shapes is effectively a wavetable anyway, not a static waveform. This does give the oscillators a lot more variety than you're giving them credit for,
There is a Shape Mod function that allows blending of 2 of the 12 waves. That probably allows for a lot of variety but it isn't the same as wavetables.