Do you ever feel pressured to use a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Do you ever feel pressured to use a synth?

Post by griffin avid » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Strange one, I know, but....

Sometimes I almost feel guilt or pressure to use a particular synth I own (more).
The feeling comes on in in several ways, but always feels similar by the end....

1) I buy something expensive and feel like I MUST get my monies worth or I'm being wasteful. -especially when it contributes very little to my overall sound/music. "It cost that much and I only use it in this narrow dimension"

2) I spent a long time pining for something or waiting for it to become available, maybe even go through some serious hoops to obtain it (travel, restoration or a trade) and when it arrives, I find it only works for me in a small capacity. And I don't want to be wrong or disappointed so I struggle to find some use and squeeze it in wherever I can.

3) I see someone else talk/post about how incredible, awesome, life-changing, world-altering it would be to get one. Maybe you hear what they are doing to get one or how they are SAVING UP a long time to get one and you've got that same synth- sitting there collecting dust....standing upright against a wall and not even plugged in.

After a while I usually give in and make something that uses that synth a lot or at least as the lead sound.
Surely, I can't be the only weirdo round these parts.

Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

salwa

Re: Do you ever feel pressured to use a synth?

Post by salwa » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Have it all the time. On a related note - I have also pressure to use more notes when I play a bass/guitar: "It has so many frets and strings and I'm only using six or seven notes"-kind of thing. I'm weird, I know.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I used to have vintage 13 analog synths at one time.
Analog synths break when you DON'T use them. As long as you turn them on and use them, they seem to last longer. As such, I felt like I needed to be using them all relatively frequently. Of course, it wasn't much of a chore... but eventually, other things take your attention. So, then I would walk into the studio and I'd see all of those synths needing to be played. I'd go to the ones that always inspired me, and the ones that didn't sat their MUTELY CONDEMNING ME and THREATENING FAILURE. It was unbearable. I ended up selling a lot of them. But even still, every time I walk into this studio, I think "I haven't played that one in awhile... s**t..."
It's stressful.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 pm

I struggled with modulars for a long time, thinking I really needed one and was always trying to find something to use it for.

At one point I had a 44-space dotcom system worth about $5000 and was just staring at it one day wondering why I had it, so I sold it.

I was just purging my computer of unused plugins yesterday for the same reason.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 am

meatballfulton wrote:I struggled with modulars for a long time, thinking I really needed one and was always trying to find something to use it for.

At one point I had a 44-space dotcom system worth about $5000 and was just staring at it one day wondering why I had it, so I sold it.

I was just purging my computer of unused plugins yesterday for the same reason.
I had a similar experience with a 44-space dotcom system. I sold mine to afford an ARP 2600.
But I'm at a point where I have a different perception of modular synthesis... so I'm going to build one back up.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:45 am

I know the feeling. I can't count off the top of my head the number of musical instruments I have sold over the years, the only reason being that I felt guilty looking at them everyday and not playing them. I try to maintain a healthy creative space by surrounding myself only with instruments I WANT to play. :)
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 am

It doesn't usually bother me, but I guess sometimes I think, 'c**p, all this stuff and I haven't been using it', plan to change that though in the new year with my new space.

Also price has something to do with it, like a VCS3 or JP8 for example, I know I wouldn't use them that much if I had them which would kinda make me feel guilty 'cause so many people pine after them. :geek:

I guess the real key is not worrying about what other people think. Still working on that one...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:02 am

All. The. Time. :lol: Yes, I experience this a lot. I've got a lot of machines sitting around, and sometimes I feel like, "wow, I really should be playing that one." But you only have so much time to play these things. Life gets in the way of our hobby, no matter how much we love it.

But the guilt you feel is a natural by-product of GAS, I think. You want it -- no, you MUST have it -- then you have it; then it isn't so mysterious; then maybe you don't want it...and so, you don't use it; and then, well, you sell it. And then -- and you know you've done this -- you wish you hadn't sold it. So you hunt down the same machine.... Well, you get the idea. The cycle repeats. Lather, rinse, repeat. :lol:

That's because we're chasing a feeling, really. It reminds me of something the late, great Lou Reed once said about heroin: "Even when I have it, I don't have it." Let that one sink in.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 am

No. They're mine, I paid for them, I get to dictate how I use them and not the other way around. Although if I really don't ever find myself using one I'll generally sell it cause I can always use the space and the money.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:04 pm

All the time! Lucky problem... ;)
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Yep, me too. I have sold a lot of stuff and all the stuff I have I use regularly. Well, except the Octatrack but I know that it's time will come so i'll hang on to it.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Interesting concept.

I can honestly say no. I have never felt ps sure to use any instrument that I did not want to use.

I fell in love with analog synths as a kid in the 70's and I started buying them in the late 80's/early 90's when the pawn shops were basically giving them away

I loved them then and I love them now.

When the crazies over (and I think it will be one day...) I will probably still love them.

Just use what works for you. I would say that if you aren't using a particular synth then perhaps you should sell it. Put that money in an investment account of some sort and buy something fantastic with it one day.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Pressured with no compulsion? Maybe the Polivoks, but only because it is a rickety piece of c**p that happens to sound great.

Only one I felt bad about neglecting was when I had a JP8. The only cure was to sell it.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:05 am

Simply... NO!

I understand what you are saying and in my previous creative space, I absolutely would have agreed. It used to make me sick to know how long I had lusted over any given board, worked my arse off to afford it and then bought it to sit upright next to my bed simply because I had no space to set it up amongst the rest of them.

Now I am in a bigger space, I have everything set up on Jasper's stands and into patch bays at all times. This means I can give all 20+ boards a running in an hour or so. It keeps them healthy and me happy. I have specific crushes on each board I own and the only thing that ever kept me from them was space and time.
Fortunately, neither of those problems currently stand
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:All the time! Lucky problem... ;)
Same here. Not so much of a problem, more of a bad conscience... if you have that many instruments, you ought to play them more often and record more music with them in order to distinguish yourself from the mere collectors...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/