Do you ever feel pressured to use a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: Do you ever feel pressured to use a synth?

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:39 am

*thumbs up* if this were facebook... i like this thread

i have a fear of this issue myself and it helps me to control GAS

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:34 pm

I once had a VST that guilted me into sending it nude pictures. Does that count?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Nah, they're just tools in the toolbox, just more expensive than hand tools! It's the price we pay.

I don't get rid of a hammer (or look for something to build) just because I haven't used it for a while. It's there when I need it. I HAVE gotten rid of tools though I concluded were simply not useful for the stuff I do build.

That's the way I approach my stable anyway. Relieves a lot of guilt!

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:05 pm

I have never felt pressured.

I do sometimes wish I have more time to play with some of them - mostly the Fairlight, since I've pined for it for so long.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:50 pm

synthroom wrote:I do sometimes wish I have more time to play with some of them -
This.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:19 am

if ive left my mono/poly on to warm up for a while and forgotten about it i def dont wanna turn her off without playin a little bit first

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:51 am

No pressure whatsoever and I think it is good to take things in a more positive perspective. Things come and go, nothing lasts forever. My motivation to play comes from wanting to hear them in action, making a new riff, patch, etc.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 am

I feel this way when i really get into a project on my computer with maschine and then I look over and feel guilt that I didn't use any of my hardware.

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Not that much, usually, mostly just when I read threads like these. :) I have a lot of guitars as well, but I don't fret (haha) if I'm not playing any particularly one much at any given point. They're always there for me when I get an urge to play a particular one. I don't sell gear anymore because the few times I did early on I had extreme seller's remorse. I just make sure that I buy gear that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep for the long haul after copious amounts of research. I've frequently discover needs and ways to use existing gear that I hadn't used for years. Maybe I do feel a little internal pressure (and likely not nearly enough) to make more use out of what I already have rather than buying something new to make up for my own deficiencies in knowledge and programming.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Only when said synth whimpers "use me, use me".
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 pm

I mostly apply pressure to myself to use whatever synths I've got to make music. Although, like to think of it as 'challenging' instead of 'pressuring.' Interestingly enough, I've (begrudgingly) found I can be creative with anything. Even when I was stuck with just software a few months ago, I still cranked out a pretty interesting score to a short film.

Of course, trouble is, I keep buying and selling synths! Kind of derails the whole music making thing sometimes...

Typically, even if I've gone to great lengths to score a piece of gear, I have no trouble flipping it if I don't get along with it - usually the purchase gets me into debt anyways!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
I was just purging my computer of unused plugins yesterday for the same reason.
amen to that!
I'm down to just the UA plugs and a few of the non-awful Logic plugs. Waiting for Stilwell and Waldorf to make theirs 64 bit so I can get those back on board. But then, heck I should just make it sound good going in.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave