micro tuning the DX7ii (and TX802)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

micro tuning the DX7ii (and TX802)

Post by corndogssg » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm

so for x mass I got myself a dx7iifd. only real reason why I wanted it cuz it was a good price, great condition and came with the grey matter E! board installed. I like the extra banks of sounds it has on it with the E! so anyone who has these know they can be micro tuned. what I have a ? about is I found this ad on ebay, some guy selling his "micro tuning wisdom" for 30 bucks.

Make your Yamaha DX7ii or TX802 the Best in the World Improving Sound Intonation

not gonna paste his ebay action add but if u wann see it, this is the tittle above.

what I am wanting to know is, have any of you micro tuned your dx7ii"s to make it a better sounding keyboard ? I somewhat would feel feel dumb giving the dude 30 bucks for a sheet of paper saying c2 up 3, c#2 down 1, d2 down 2, ect if anyone can give some feedback on this it'd be greatly helpful. thanx everyone.

ItsMeOnly

Re: micro tuning the DX7ii (and TX802)

Post by ItsMeOnly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:06 pm

First of all, micro tuning is not for making your DX sound better. To put it simply, you have different chromatic scales or gamuts, that you sometimes need your instrument to be tuned (think about Indian music, or Chinese).

There's a nice read for you:
http://www.feilding.net/sfuad/musi3012- ... tuning.htm

If you look at the titles of this guy's auctions, you'll get a hint that this guy can't deliver on his promises - I'd certainly not spend 30 bucks on something someone "doesn't want you to know".
Last edited by ItsMeOnly on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Definitely do not spend that 30 bucks! This is publicly available information.

The microtuning is a feature of the E! expansion, it's not in the original DX7 OS. So get the E! manual, e.g. here:

http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/page ... rd-man.pdf

Scaling is explained from page 39 onward. That's where you wanna look. The theory behind it is explained nicely in the link ItsMeOnly posted above, and googling will get you very far.

The E! manual is not really good, but you should get around to what you want to do... Do you know how to navigate the menu?

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute

Post by corndogssg » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 am

this is why I love this site. not even a day old post and already got a lot of help and advice.

no I don't know how to menu dive on it yet. I got it on ebay and it's probably gonna be here tomorrow or Monday. I have heard that it's pretty much a b***h to navigate as are most synths from the 80s. I just wanna load up the e! roms full of some of the best sounds the dx line is know for and i'll be set, besides tweaking some sounds to my liking a bit will probably be the only thing I do to the patches.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Ok, if you need any help with the E! menu let us know. It's even more tricky to navigate with the E! expansion than with an original DX7, since there are a lot more menues than in the original. I keep a printed version of the manual handy, with the "trees" in the beginning of each menu page, you can see quickly where's what.

Besides that, I really encourage you to also look into programming this nice synth. The basics of FM aren't that hard to understand and it's not the hardest thing to do to program a DX7. Start from an initialized patch, choose an algorithm, operator frequencies, operator levels, envelopes - that's pretty much all you need to get a big variety of patches already. Then when you got that you can start to dig into microtuning, key scaling, velocity, etc.

Most importantly, have fun! :thumbleft:

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:20 pm

while the dx7 mk i didnt have microtuning stock, the dx7 mkii did, so give the yamaha manual a look also
you should just read up on just intonation online and spend the $30 on a calculator and a pizza

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Ah good to know. I do indeed have a DX7 MK1 with E! here, so corndogssg you might also have a look at the MK2 manual...

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Sounds like you want to take the deep dive, so might I suggest that you visit Dave Benson's DX7 page for more background info along with links to even more.

http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/html/dx7.html

Also, this place is a treasure trove of resources of which I personally have benefited greatly so here's some relevant "give back":

I have what looks to be the complete set of DX7iifd "Supplemental Booklets" that I think I can offer up here. If I dig around a bit I can probably find these already in pdf's somewhere.

Consists of seven booklets:
Exploring the Preset Microtunings
Memory Management
Utility Parameter Reference Guide
Realtime Parameter Change
Voicing Parameter Reference Guide
Quick Reference Guide
Advanced MIDI Applications

If interested just let me know.

Of course, all of this is upstream of the E!, which is a bit of a beast unto itself, so you'll be needing that info as well perhaps the files needed to run the E!. As previously mentioned, help is here.

Lastly, welcome to "dry" FM as the output is raw(pure?), entirely lacking in effects. Make sure "local on" is on when you first go to play it, and you might want to check/replace the internal battery.

Have big fun!

corndogssg

Post by corndogssg » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:35 am

well it should be here tomorrow. so will let u all know how it goes :) I am sure i'll need help. lol. but if u wanna give me any/all of the pdf files please do so. I signed up to the yahoo group site for the dx7 and spent 7 or 8 bucks on something like 25,000 sounds and it came with the manual and the e! manual, if n e one wants all them sounds I can email them to you. I do plan on making my own from start to finish, I think that's the best way to truly "know" your synth the best and what it's capable of. i started playing keyboards back in 95 when i realized I'd never play guitar as good as some of my best friends and my grandparents and mom made me take piano lessons when i was a kid all the way through high school, when i first realized how cool keyboards are (my 1st real keyboard was a roland xp 80 and i think i got the techno card later) i have been a synth geek ever since. btw i foolishly sold that xp 80 and i am actually tracking the exact one down to buy it back :)

setitheyeti

Post by setitheyeti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:46 am

Hey there,

Just coming across this post. I got a TX-802 recently and I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on micro tuning it in HZ? I'd like to get all the notes to 432hz if possible, as the master tune won't allow me to get to it perfectly. The closest I can get it to is 431.9hz in the master tune.

If I changed the master tune to 431.9hz, would the micro tune be that much closer, or would it still start from 440hz? I'm assuming it will be at 431.9hz, but I could be wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is what the manual says:
"Here you can edit a Micro Tone scale. You can specify the pitch that will be produced for each not (C-2 to G8). Use the +1/-1 keys to raise or lower the pitch for each note. You can move in steps of a semi-tone (Coarse) or steps of 1.1719 cents (Fine). Select Coarse/Fine using ENTER + the cursor keys. The resulting pitch is shown as a note number +42/-43 and also as an absolute number 0 - 10794. (One octave is 1024 steps.)
To store the Micro Tune scale you have edited, press STORE. Use the ten-key pad and INT/CRT to select the destination (INT 1-2 or CRT 1-63) and press ENTER. Press YES, and if you are sure, press YES again."

Novoline

Post by Novoline » Mon May 11, 2015 3:22 pm

A man after my own heart. I've been running my tx802s at nearly 432hz for a year now. Was actually just now searching on how to scrutinize this approximation with some real micro tune editing but that Menu is basically unexplained . . Bump