Why do you use the Synthesizer you use most?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: Why do you use the Synthesizer you use most?

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:06 pm

It's the only one I keep around, there is warmth that no other synth has, it's what I think a synth should like.
Last edited by wiss on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Probably the MS20 because it is quite versatile. I am able to change a lot of settings right on the bored. I have 6-7 patch cables handy, and I can use it as a synth with a LPF or HPF, or both together, which is what I like most about it.
bonne chance

pmh

Post by pmh » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 pm

I used to have my DX7II on almost daily, then I moved onto a Korg X5D.

Most of my keyboards were packed away when the family came along, but I recently set up a 3 tier stand in the "computer room".

I now have a Korg Triton LE on tier one, and have put shelves on the other two tiers which I am slowly populating with desktop modules.

This is the most flexible set up for me at the moment.

My only minor bug bear with the Korg is the joystick. I would have preferred a separate modulation wheel.

Kind regards,

Phil

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 am

Well, its not a synth, but it IS an electronic keyboard - my rhodes. Its the piece I essentially write everything on. Its neutral enough color wise so I can *try* to focus on melody/harmony without sound design getting in the way!

When its time for sound design, 2013 was the year of the Ms20. Why? Because it fit the vibe of the album I've been working on. It has character.

Hopefully, todays purchase will be the focus of 2014's sound design.....

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm

For me ATM it's the AN1x, as it's easy to work with, always sounds great and I love the general tone of it (and the feel of the keybed). And it can make a lot of sounds.

I do turn to the JD-800 to noodle around with because I love the feel of it (and the sound) but the AN1x takes preference for making the sounds I need for my music atm.

What AG said is about right though, and 2 of his points are down to taste (mostly).

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm

For everyday soundtrack work, I rely on Omnisphere (loaded with beautiful, rich, evocative patches), but for noodling, it's the Synthi. Because: Damn! A new sound every time!
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Aaron2 wrote:To qualify what I'm about to say, I'll say that I'm still learning synthesis and the art of using a 16-step sequencer to create cool-sounding patterns. So lately I've been gravitating toward simpler instruments that allow me to study some of those fundamentals more closely.

With that said, I've been playing the heck out of the Volca Bass. It's a nice three-oscillator synth with all the basic controls, but not an overwhelming number of modulation options, and a very intuitive 16-step sequencer. It's really easy to use in the sense that you can focus on the sound and the sequence without having to run to a manual every five minutes.

I would highly recommend this as a first synth. It's a good teaching tool, inexpensive, portable, and a lot of fun, frankly. I jam on the couch with this thing all the time. :lol:
I finally picked one up after gassing for some time for it. It has a wonderful sound and a really wide filter sweet spot, and the kind of snap to it you might expect from a 303. If not the same, a very similar idea. It's very easy and fun to use this sequencer, especially in split and multiple oscillator modes. It has a very fresh and live sound and is far beyond a simple bass machine, as it has a full 6 octave range. I think it has more flexibility in a number of ways than the 303, and for the price it's kind of a no-brainer.

It may not be a perfect 303 clone, but it seems to hold a similar place in a setup. It would be great for acid, if that's your thing (I'm no expert in that department). It is too bad that the slide is not MIDI controllable, but anyway...it's small and portable and sounds great. You can whip up a sequence and modify it very easily. Some sort of memory chain function would be nice, but again, the peculiar limitations really inspire me with this thing. It keeps calling to me and I keep thinking of new ideas.

I can easily see this thing (and the volcas as a trio) spawning a new genre. All you need is these little boxes, and a very basic PA and you have a party.

As for the sound of the VB itself, I find myself using it to make Solvent-sounding riffs that I assume he uses an analog sequencer to create on his modular system. Again, it's a fresh sound that really doesn't sound like other gear on the market, at least not at this price range. Very fun, lots of quirks and tricks.

I've been triggering it from my Boss DR-110 (bought off a member here...BD decay/pitch mods). Instant party. It's also almost exactly the same dimensions as the 110.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm

For me it's my Integra 7. I own it and a Yami Tx81Z in hardware. I love the I7 because it's versatile and I enjoy the sounds I get out of it.

If I had the classics, I still think it would find a place because it offers so much versatility.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Minimoog. Clearly laid out and sounds great.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 pm

the 999 and 303 when laying down bread&butter tracks because they always sound great

when exploring and designing new patches; the modcan and eurorack+2600 get the most use because i can cobble up whatever patch i need for the specific task. it brings a subtle,temporal personality aspect to a patch that CPU-memory-based synths can't, and a new lease on life to the more common VCO->filter->VCA patches, too. not to mention their flexibility as fx processors.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:32 pm

probably my Roland SH09 followed by the Taurus III.
Both of them continue to surprise me with the different patches I can come up with.
The SH09 also has a delightful number of knobs, switches and sliders to manipulate while I'm playing. And unlike my other old synths, it stays in tune and always works.
I love the T3 but it's kind of hard to play on every song.
The SH09 is always on, even if I am not actively playing it, I'll set up a wide PWM patch or a wooshy noise patch to fill in the background.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 am

Other than making of desired sounds, reasons I could think why someone would have a synth as most used and current are as follows:-

- busy life leading to use what is already set up to work;
- unexplored functions/sonic possibilities, e.g. a relatively new to synth;
- satisfaction from learning/playing riffs/melodies/music;
- versatile connectivity to other existing gear;
- "in-thing" to synth fashion (if there is such a thing), e.g the most hot gear out there now, etc;
- easy connectivity to record; and
- great visual/aesthetic appeal having it as "current".

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

When playing solo I use my eurorack modular, because of the breadth of timbres and possibilities. (it's basically 5 synth voices, 2 drum machines, 3 sequencers, and 1 sampler in a box)

When 'jamming' with friends I go to the MS-20 for similar reasons mentioned above and also because it can sound like f**k heavy metal. :headbang:

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:58 pm

For me, it's probably my Solina because it's right next to my desk at sitting height, the power switch is on the front and it's polyphonic – I can turn it on quickly, I don't have to stand up to play it and I can work parts out on it like I would on a piano.

I also have a Logan String Melody II on the same stand, but the switch is on the back and I'd have to stand up to switch it on and play it. Sometimes I'll use the Little Phatty as a midi controller for a sampled piano or M-Tron instead, but it's usually much quicker, easier and more comfortable to use the Solina.

Of late though, I've tended to set up my Keystation and launch Pianoteq, VB3 and six instances of M-Tron every time I've sat down at my PC to make music, so the Solina hasn't been getting as much use for writing/noodling duties.