Why do you use the Synthesizer you use most?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Re: Why do you use the Synthesizer you use most?

Post by gmeredith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:57 am

My SM Pro V-machine VST hardware player is now my workhorse synth module.

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... /v-machine

Probably spend 10 hours/week using it. Since it can become anything you want it to be (sampler/drums/synth/etc) it has pretty much swallowed up all the sounds I use from all of my other samplers and synths into one tiny tabletop module. I just get my synths out when I want to sample them into it or reference a sound from them to make with a vst synth.

chhers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:53 am

At this particular point I am mostly using my analog four. I am a bit lazy when it comes to turning a bunch of synths and plugging them in either to the mixer and midi. With the analog four I have four independent mono synths with effects, or if I wanted to a poly synth and analog drum machine, plus I can cv my other vintage mono's from it if I wanted too. I took me a bit to warm up to its sound and layout but I am pretty happy with the results I am getting.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm

a bit late, but...
I've used my MKS 70 consistently for about 25 years (it cost more than my car back then), so that would be it, but lately, I tend to switch on the JV 2080 when I want to practice - I'm very familiar with the sound set and the OS, and I only have to turn on a keyboard and the module and I can get to it, with enough sounds/polyphony to keep me out of trouble.
The ROMpler side of things gives me a useable practice piano (Session) and organs, Eps and clav (60s&70s), with enough synthiness to keep me interested if I wander.
But the Super JX is my favourite all time.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I forgot to add that since my SH09 has cv gate out, and in, it interfaces nicely with all my stuff in that realm.
Sometimes I'm even just using it as a controller for the Dark Energies and other semi-modular gear.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:24 pm

The Roland V-Synth, because I always come up with fantastic sounds in it, sounds I couldn't achieve on my other synths.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Hugo76 wrote:The Roland V-Synth, because I always come up with fantastic sounds in it, sounds I couldn't achieve on my other synths.
Me also.

The V-Synth is a bottomless sound machine with possibly the best ergonomics and UI of any synth I own.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 pm

The Sound.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 pm

griffin avid wrote:I'm trying to gauge what qualities and/or character makes you use one piece over the next.
I'm asking about 'number of hours' spent in front of it and why the one that YOU USE MOST (as a time measurement) has come out ahead of the rest.
Dunno how I missed this thread. Gonna go with Virus b for most hours spent and generally used in more projects. But I can really only attribute this to its generic and useful nature and the fact that it's the one I've had the longest still in use.

Runner up would be my modified SH-101. Simple, I like the sound and I've f**k it up just enough that its quirks make it interesting and fun instead of cumbersome and awkward.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

dr.blitzen
Band: dr.blitzen

Post by dr.blitzen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm

My CS80v. Granted it's not like the real thing but using a good controller it's got real expression making it a players synth! :D

Hardware synth I've used the most would be my Yamaha TQ5. It's not the best sounding synth I own but I always find a use for this.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 am

Infrasound wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:The Roland V-Synth, because I always come up with fantastic sounds in it, sounds I couldn't achieve on my other synths.
Me also.

The V-Synth is a bottomless sound machine with possibly the best ergonomics and UI of any synth I own.

Another one here! Amazing machine.

I also love using the Korg Prophecy (which isn't as hard to program as they say, even from the panel!!??) and to my ears sounds pretty damn fine doing it's thing... both analog esque leads/bass to more esoteric digital stuff. I prefer it to the MS2000 etc.

And at the moment I'm back into my 6th D-50 and pulling out even more thick, beautiful atmospheric sounds...

Love using the JD-800 because: interface! It allows me to do things with digital few synths do merely by virtue of reaching out and grabbing a control (for example mapping lfo and filter to aftertouch - which does work on mine - creates a very expressive sound which can then be further tweaked with the sliders while playing... analog style but with digital depth). ON most digital synths even if you can you rarely 'do' because it's too convoluted to try things out only to maybe want to undo them again (i.e the aforementioned aftertouch settings inc depth and type) - on the JD-800 you are instantly trying things out, it welcomes experimentation and that's where it's power lies (rather than it's sound/engine which isn't that complex by today's standards)

V-Synth is almost as hands on though but is obviously a far more complex synth so it doesn't quite have the same vibe (but nonetheless it's my overall favourite synth), feels great, looks great, sounds great (if you program it right) and always holds so much potential for yet another great/unheard of sound. :mrgreen:

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:53 am

DX100. Light enough to throw in a sack for public transit, small enough to quickly flex any of the paramters while working keys with both hands, and paired with a BCR2000 and a granular effects pedal I can melt the world

Thunderkyss

Post by Thunderkyss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:11 am

I use Maschine for all my drums now... I'm starting to miss my MV8800 a little bit, so I may be going back to it pretty soon.

I'm also using it for sampling myself playing guitar & bass. I also use Kontakt & I'm starting to play around with Massive & Reaktor using my Fantom-S as a controller.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:05 pm

i use what i use when i use it because it fits what i'm thinking and feeling.
there's nothing more to it than that, really.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

MY CME UF8 controller keyboard is the one I spend most of my time playing as it connected to everything else!
GC

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Post by tdack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:51 am

Hands down, MS2000. I have written over every preset on the baby. I have owned it for seven years.

Why would I own a 4-voice synth you ask?!?!

It was a learning tool into the block diagram synth programming world. It was $300. It sounded pretty from the start. So I put a lot of time into it.

I hate the delay, it's washed out and boring, but as soon as I turned it on with some brass with some fun filtering, I was in love. It also makes great pads. I have two whole banks of pads alone. I like ambient musick.

My clock started slipping now, so I am selling it and getting a rack mount version just to be a slave to my Elektron MD.