What is a live synth-based performance ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Re: What is a live synth-based performance ?

Post by Swayze » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:39 am

If there is a synth on the stage making noise, it's a live synth-based performance. I would consider soft synths on laptops synthesizers as well. It doesn't matter if it's being sequenced or played by hand. If someone on stage is manipulating something that outputs a synth sound, and it's more prominent than say a guitar or other instrument, it's a live synth-based performance.

Edit: I would also consider samples as a synth as long as the artist either recorded their own samples from a synth prior to playing or was triggering them on a device that had synth editing capabilities.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 am

zmd wrote:I look at it this way, a good laptop performer plays the crowd more so than the laptop.
lapdancer?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:18 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
zmd wrote:I look at it this way, a good laptop performer plays the crowd more so than the laptop.
lapdancer?
I think you might be onto something. :o

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:24 am

For a period of time I was a live sound guy, DJ and kinda-sorta producer for a hip hop act.
Most of our performances were with a simple backing track on a CD, or even ipod. I got up and performed with them a lot of the time. But sometimes I'd just kick it in the back of the room with the soundboard.
Mostly I'd just mult the backing track on a mixer and use the eq and aux send facilities to tweak the music in real time. My two favorite methods were to send a effects loop through an Effectron or digitech delay. The kind with knobs. Then use the hold button and 'freeze' a song segment or vocal phrase. Maybe modulate it, or simply crank the delay time knob up and down an interval.
The other silly but very effective one was to use a 3rd mixer channel to boost up the bass, but put a low cut on it as well. Then simply engage and disengage the low cut switch, on the beat! IF you know your sound system you can get right up on the limits of how much thump it will give you.
I myself have a hard time counting all this on the same page as my 'musician gigs' as a bassist, drummer, vocalist etc.
But I was using musical gear, and my ears and hands to produce musical results, along with other performers, in front of an audience. And jumping up and down like a loon, if I was drunk enough.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Before I lock this thread, not because I hate it, but because we just had it...

If you have to set hard limits on what constitutes art in your world, and then feel the need to spew that viewpoint on those around you, you are an incomplete child. This is okay. Feel free to make your world as small as possible, and when one day, while lying on your death bed, you can rest assured you deprived yourself of all sorts of interesting ideas for the sake of your own narrow-minded bullshit. And not only did you live your life in some self-imposed idea ghetto, you proudly announced your own ignorance to those around you for the sake of speaking your mind (or regurgitating a viewpoint you've inflicted on yourself by being a stunted control freak awash in a world you can't appropriately navigate).

Fortunately, I offer more than disdain for such parochialism . I encourage each person to listen to, view, or experience in any fashion new things. Things they don't like, things that make them uncomfortable, things they hate, things that stir nothing but great ambivalence, etc. I promise, while all these things are initially difficult, they are really the key to making you a complete person, a happy person, and a more well rounded individual. The fact that it will make you a more tolerable individual (rather than a intolerable troll) is merely a bonus for us.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.