NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 pm

He wishes he was :D

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:40 am

zoomtheline wrote:Monomachine is a digital synth with various synthesis methods to choose/mix up etc.
Machinedrum is basically the drum machine version. Various types of drum sounds to choose and synthesize.

I have never used a Monomachine but the Machinedrum has been an absolute godsend. No other drum machine/sampler/sequencer has clicked with me before this. It's deep and versatile but not over complicated and a joy to mess with. There are downfalls though, you can find yourself loosing yourself within the box and not being able to break out of the 64 step loop to make a track but if you don't treat it as something that is going to do everything it will work with you.
As good as all that sounds, everytime I watch someone use it it just looks complicated. The problem is not only judging if I'd like the interface but also which would I even choose among all their products. Too many options. But almost all of them look cool in a way.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 am

Bitexion wrote:I guess NAMM is 90% guitars and mixers and new effect pedals, and 10% synth news. At least according to what Sonicstate is putting out on youtube.
Synth 'news' or synths?
Honestly, its probably 30% guitars, 20% band instruments, 15% mics, 15% speakers/amps, 10% synths, 10% misc (cases, cables, DJ stuff...)

Not planning on going back tomorrow, maybe i should have just pulled out the camera and walked around to give you the impression.

Oh, and Kemper Gmbh's booth was entirely profiling amps. Not a peep from their little-known subsidiary Access.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:49 am

Kidney05 wrote: I'm not even sure what the difference between the Monomachine and the Machinedrum is, let alone to find them for sale on muffwiggler (I've never been to that site before).
Muffs is easy to navigate. Get a used MD for 1k or less. try and get a + version unless its like 700 bucks. Make it control other gear. Learn the "return to save point" hotkey as well as p locks. You'll be happy as f**k, promise. Might need some midi mergers/thrus(to make outs/ins of the MD have more than one port/midi solutions work well).

tallowwaters wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:This is a little OT, but...hey that guy looks familiar...

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... more-54530
Trent Reznor's homeless brother?
Is that a beer gut Doty? :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm

phesago wrote:Is that a beer gut Doty? :lol:
Well, it's a pathetic showing for a beer gut, really. I mean, s**t… with the amount of beer I pour into that thing, it's kind of a failure.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Bitexion wrote:He wishes he was :D
NO COMMENT :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 pm

So did that belly grow any more since then, considering that there's been a whole year of pouring beer into it? :D

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:10 pm

pflosi wrote:So did that belly grow any more since then, considering that there's been a whole year of pouring beer into it? :D
Well, what you're looking at there is the result of at least 7 years of constantly pouring beer into it. So, no.
But I am not daunted. I'm told if you want your dreams to come true, you have to WORK at them.
I'm plainly not drinking ENOUGH beer.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Good luck mate, my thoughts and wishes are with you. Gonna go drink a beer to that now :thumbleft:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:34 pm

If you pee alot I guess it goes out as fast as it goes in.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Since we're already in a different part of the galaxy as far as sticking to the subject goes, I'm curious: what kind of beer are you expanding your gut with, Marc? Same goes for all of you: what's your favorite beer? Or, if you can't decide, top three? I know microbrews are regional for the most part, but I like a lot of what Bells puts out: Two Hearted, Oberon, Alaskan White... That's all great. I think my favorite brewery has to be Deschutes, though. Their Fresh Squeezed IPA is the best thing I've had since my mother's breastmilk.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:38 pm

and what, may I ask compelled you to resurrect a year old thread for such topical information Marc? :?

Without the benefit of before and after photos, the then and now if you will, we can only imagine what toll the consumption of beer has taken on your once toned and tan Synthesist of the Year body. :lol:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Kenneth wrote:Since we're already in a different part of the galaxy as far as sticking to the subject goes, I'm curious: what kind of beer are you expanding your gut with, Marc? Same goes for all of you: what's your favorite beer? Or, if you can't decide, top three? I know microbrews are regional for the most part, but I like a lot of what Bells puts out: Two Hearted, Oberon, Alaskan White... That's all great. I think my favorite brewery has to be Deschutes, though. Their Fresh Squeezed IPA is the best thing I've had since my mother's breastmilk.
You and me both, Kenneth. I've never had that IPA, but Mirror Pond is one of my favorite beers of all time!

I have been drinking a terrible amount of the particularly-not-awesome, but cheap Sessions.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:13 pm

seamonkey wrote:and what, may I ask compelled you to resurrect a year old thread for such topical information Marc? :?

Without the benefit of before and after photos, the then and now if you will, we can only imagine what toll the consumption of beer has taken on your once toned and tan Synthesist of the Year body. :lol:
I was here to find Jon's video from last year's NAMM so that I could make reference to it in a blog and I saw some of the posts I didn't see last year. :D

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Deschutes is excellent, but give me their Black Butte Porter.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73