NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:37 am

There is some talk on gearslutz with the usual speculative justification that roland will finally do something this year after being the ugly chick at the prom last year.

My opinion: At best, they have a new ROMpler groovebox, full of bugs and to be abandoned shortly after release. Press release: "We swear that our new Integra ultra-VA transistor modeler really sounds like a 303! Really! We finally nailed it!" While everyone yawns.

I wouldn't get too hyped, pretty much everyone shot their wads last year and it was a BIG year for analog nerds. We got more than we could have dreamed of.

I think the best shot at something with a big "wow factor" would be a poly from Moog or Korg.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 am

I'd like to see the Fairlight App for Android or Windows.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:56 am

2 Osc 3 octave patchable Big Brute would be cool, but I reckon it's more likely at Messe or just to get announced in between trade shows. It seems like nobody waits until the trade shows any more to announce stuff.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned on VSE, but there has been speculative Roland analog talk indeed

So far this is what we know:

A Guy Called Gerald after visiting and long discussion at Roland Japan said "big things"
Hardfloor were visited by Roland from Tokyo in Germany with their prototypes for the "dance production"
Roland visited Moog and hinted at something big
A Roland rep told a music store that the vintage synth crowd would be happy with their next product, didn't say if it was analog or digital

And this post I found on KVR take with a grain of salt

Pure specualtions without any real hard evidences of the afformentioned companies profits charts. Now, an ex collegue of mine, who was repairing equipments for ages, was called a few weeks ago to japan to work on a roland project... They used the word ''modules'' when they spoke to him. I am holding my breath... They are keen to jump on the current trend/revival, this is something they clearly said. But anything they made post mid-eighties has been nothing but dissapointments to me. Even the jp8000. Fair play to them for delivering the VA concept (which i hate in hardware form, by the way... Especially from them...), or the "groovebox" concept, but they still can't develop descent digital filters or OSCs as far as i am concerned. My SH09 is still the house of the fattest OSC i have ever heard, tho... I sold so many classics when i got it years ago (moogs included).... Come on Roland... Your schematics are all over the net... Bring that sound back!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 am

nathanscribe wrote:Actually I predict Korg will announce a Femto range of synths, patched with human hair inserted into microscopic holes. They'll come with tweezers and a magnifier, and a cocktail stick to play the keys. They'll be 20 pence each, and you can fit an entire system in your hat.

Or a 1-octave piano. For cats.
Imagine the potential for viral YouTube videos!!!

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 am

So if last year was the year of analog, maybe this year (or next year) will be the year of modular.
Not to say there isn't already a big following. but it's always seemed kind of the "cool kid's" territory. Not quite mainstream.
just a thought.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Korg and Arturia do next. Both companies have been consistently blowing my mind in the past few years, and I am looking forward to giving them MORE of my hard-earned dough. Seems like Moog has been losing steam with the Minifoogers, and the SubPhatty doesn't quite hold its own against the cheaper, more versatile analog offerings from Korg, Arturia, and Novation. Not holding my breath on them this year.

This is a great thread, btw. Cool hearing everyone's thoughts. :)
Comparison is the thief of joy.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 am

volumetrik wrote:A Guy Called Gerald after visiting and long discussion at Roland Japan said "big things"
Hardfloor were visited by Roland from Tokyo in Germany with their prototypes for the "dance production"
Roland visited Moog and hinted at something big
A Roland rep told a music store that the vintage synth crowd would be happy with their next product, didn't say if it was analog or digital
I would really love it if Roland got back into the analogue game, but that "dance production" nonsense makes me uneasy...damn it, Roland, stop f**k around with "groovebox" c**p and give us a real, playable instrument! (You too, Yamaha!) This attempt to sell prefab style-in-a-box makes me nauseous...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:12 am

A poly Moog and a Waldorf PPG Wave thingie with analog filter :D

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 am

TheKeytarist wrote:So if last year was the year of analog, maybe this year (or next year) will be the year of modular.
Following this logic, will 2015 or 16 be the year of the tube synth?

*crossing my fingers for a Novachord reissue :lol:
You can't synthesize love

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:16 am

There already was Novachord remake in '70s. It was called Polymoog :lol:
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Hasn't every year been "year of the modular" recently? There's tons of new and interesting eurorack stuff out there already.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:25 am

Black Tomorrow wrote:*crossing my fingers for a Novachord reissue :lol:
Now that is a fantastic idea. Hammond could totally make this. Transistors could be used instead of tubes keeping everything discrete, but would it sound anywhere near as good? Especially with modern SMT manufacturing it could be quite small and lightweight even compared to today's hardware.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:18 am

I just want a 64+ step cv/midi sequencer that I can program rests/holds and accents with, using the keyboard on whatever synthesizer I'm working with, as a module. If the microbrute could program holds and accents it would be perfection...an extra oscillator and env might be nice too.

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 am

*I think Roland would be wise to upgrade the Gaia. Ditch the sampled waveforms for real (albeit digital) oscillators, allow (the already existing) GM implementation through its own keyboard, heck, even a step sequencer.

*Korg should create a Vola based keyboard synth with the Beats module built in.