NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 am

sourwookie wrote:*I think Roland would be wise to upgrade the Gaia. Ditch the sampled waveforms for real (albeit digital) oscillators, allow (the already existing) GM implementation through its own keyboard, heck, even a step sequencer.
Real oscillators would help, but what the Gaia really needs is even just a single ounce of discernable character. Roland used to be able to develop versatile but distinctive-sounding instruments, but their modern VAs all sound like store-brand food tastes.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 am

sentientprogram wrote:I just want a 64+ step cv/midi sequencer that I can program rests/holds and accents with, using the keyboard on whatever synthesizer I'm working with, as a module. If the microbrute could program holds and accents it would be perfection...an extra oscillator and env might be nice too.
It's called the Elektron Analog 4 and it came out about a year ago. :thumbleft:

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:53 pm

My opinion: At best, they have a new ROMpler groovebox, full of bugs and to be abandoned shortly after release.
If this wasn't too buggy, I don't hate the idea of an updated RS7000/MC909 type piece - but with more updated/flexible sounds and full sampling implementation, good effects. Maybe even Spektralis like, with an analog (or hybrid in this case) monosynth for one part, then tracks for sampled sounds, drum kits, VA/Rompler stuff...

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Bitexion wrote:a smaller version of the Yamaha CS-80 at $1000 wouldn't be wrong.
something like this could have perhaps happened if sonic core had kept making those ASB boxes still.

i'm interested in seeing Elektron's Mr Frosty Machine.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
sentientprogram wrote:I just want a 64+ step cv/midi sequencer that I can program rests/holds and accents with, using the keyboard on whatever synthesizer I'm working with, as a module. If the microbrute could program holds and accents it would be perfection...an extra oscillator and env might be nice too.
It's called the Elektron Analog 4 and it came out about a year ago. :thumbleft:
LOL, I meant like a eurorack module!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:07 am

Syn303 wrote:i'm interested in seeing Elektron's Mr Frosty Machine.
If this isn't a machine to make Wendy's Frosties, I'm going to be gravely disappointed.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 am

What I would love to see:

Moog: A new poly synth. Everyone wants it.

Yamaha: A modern and updated AN2x :) New features, more knobs!

Roland: Something, anything, that sounded organic, musical and inspiring.

Korg: h**l, keep on keepin' on. If we're free to be greedy, how about a reissue of the Polysix?

Arturia: I think the previously mentioned idea of the Big Brute is fantastic. Yes please!

Access: A Virus TI polar that somehow didn't cost 3 grand. And no, i don't mean some Snow-like module. I mean an actual Polar. I have always loved the Viruses, but man are they pricey (deservedly so, but hey this is my wish list).

Clavia: A Nord lead 4 that actually seems to build on the Nord Lead 3. Return the screen, and those LED rotary encoders are simply awesome. Add more oscillators and voices please.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 am

1. Korg Mono/Poly reissue
2. Moog Drum Machine
3. Still waiting from the new Linn Drum Machine
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

philip

Post by philip » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am

Moog Polysynth, please!!!

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Oh how I'd love to play an actual Jupiter 8 or Memorymoog to hear what they sound like under my control. But I'd settle for something modern thats analog and built in the spirit of the before mentioned...one knob per function sort of thing. I think my wife will let me spend up to $3000 uncontested and I'd spend that on an analog poly synth. Roland would be my first choice, Moog my second. Six or more voices with full size keys.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Reginator wrote: Roland would be my first choice, Moog my second.
Brand bias much? :lol: Wouldn't you want to hear them first? You might find that you like the sound of the Moog better. Just because Roland made a couple of synths in the 80's that were used on a lot of hit records and are prized by collectors and vintage snobs doesn't mean today's Roland analog synth (which, btw, is a fantasy) is somehow going to be superior to current offerings.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:05 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Reginator wrote: Roland would be my first choice, Moog my second.
Brand bias much? :lol: Wouldn't you want to hear them first? You might find that you like the sound of the Moog better. Just because Roland made a couple of synths in the 80's that were used on a lot of hit records and are prized by collectors and vintage snobs doesn't mean today's Roland analog synth (which, btw, is a fantasy) is somehow going to be superior to current offerings.
Hahaha - Bias and personal preference. I have a Voyager which I love and I have a JP8080 which I also love. Roland would be my first choice because I'm thinking the price might be closer to what I'm allowed to spend and I like the sound of what I hear on albums from yesteryear and youtube. My Voyager has a really creamy sound but it's $3000 for only one note at a time. Can you imagine what 8 notes would cost???!!! If Moog could do it for less than the price of a Toyota Prius then I'm for that!

This month I'm building a 2600 clone and a 4 voice OBX clone to bring a little more analog into my life. ;)

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I'd like to see Korg do a re-issue of the Maxikorg.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:00 pm

Cumulus wrote:Moog Volca Killer.
That would be a great band name! lol

I would love to see someone do an all-analog or at least an all-v/a groovebox that doesn't cost as much as a Spectralis. I know, there's the Monotribe, but I'm talking full featured with sampling and everything. Love my MC-909 for several different things that it does for me but I can't help but think, what if it had, say,
a JP-8000 engine,
one part analog monosynth,
analog or v/a drum synth,
keep the sampled drums kit as well (I find them useful),
the sample storage system of an SP-808 (64 banks x 16 pads, easy as pie)
2 fewer D-beams :P

But in all reality, it would almost certainly be Korg who fills this order, if anyone, right? Just throw the whole Volca range in one decent sized box, implement a full featured sampler, and call it a day. I know that grooveboxes that are more than a couple hundred bucks would not have nearly the customer base of a Monotribe or Volca but I think they could still do quite well with something like this.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping