NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: NAMM 2014 thread of broken dreams

Post by phesago » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:40 pm

somebedroomdj wrote:
Cumulus wrote:Moog Volca Killer.
That would be a great band name! lol

I would love to see someone do an all-analog or at least an all-v/a groovebox that doesn't cost as much as a Spectralis...
Isnt the machinedrum/monomachine just that? I guess its not in the same box tho :/

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm

I'd like to place a bid on the JP8 reissue - $3000

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Roland JP-8M (JP-8 Million).

Like a JP-8K but 1000 times better. Costs $8M (and all your dignity and self-respect) and emulates the JP-8000 pretty good. COSMVVA. COSM modeling of Virtual Virtual Analog.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

wiss wrote:1. Korg Mono/Poly reissue
This!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 pm

garranimal wrote:
Black Tomorrow wrote:*crossing my fingers for a Novachord reissue :lol:
Now that is a fantastic idea. Hammond could totally make this. Transistors could be used instead of tubes keeping everything discrete, but would it sound anywhere near as good? Especially with modern SMT manufacturing it could be quite small and lightweight even compared to today's hardware.
Well, if you switch from tubes to transistors, it's going to sound different immediately. Transistor-based divide-down is what pretty much all string synths were. Also, the Novachord has formant filters... which manufacturers these days would probably be inclined to avoid if they planned to market it to even a small market. Someone would undoubtedly want to give it the ADSR treatment, and I'm going to guess they'd probably stray pretty far from an electromechanical LFO.
The only way they're going to get an accurate Novachord through reissue is to make something that will be too expensive for the people who would want it to buy it!

But yes. I'll talk to Antiquity Music and maybe Dewanatron about doing it right. ;)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:But yes. I'll talk to Antiquity Music and maybe Dewanatron about doing it right.
Now that you mention it, something new from the Dewans would be really cool, if totally unaffordable. What have they been up to lately?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:18 am

bhrama wrote:
wiss wrote:1. Korg Mono/Poly reissue
This!
I love that machine.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:53 am

Found on a trademark site

KORG TRITON TAKTILE : "USB musical instrument digital interface (MIDI) controller "

Roland AIRA : "Electronic sound effectors for musical instruments; electronic musical instruments, namely, music synthesizers, rhythm machines, and bass machines"

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 am

volumetrik wrote:Found on a trademark site
Roland AIRA : "Electronic sound effectors for musical instruments; electronic musical instruments, namely, music synthesizers, rhythm machines, and bass machines"
If there is truth, seems as Roland is going after the Volca market? Intriguing.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:06 pm

NORD G3 MODULAR
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Here's another "prediction"... more correctly its a "product they won't make but they're stupid for not making it" stipulation:

Alesis should re-release a small tabletop/desktop or 2u rackmount (size/form-factor similar to the Waldorf MicroQ or Blofeld, Matrix Editing with a large-ish screen) version of the Alesis Ion... same specs and poly and FX.

For i/o, keep it simple: MIDI In, Stereo analog in, 2x Stereo analog out (maybe via a D-Sub connector to save space and perhaps cash).... and most importantly? A 24/96 S/MUX ADAT output mirroring the analog outputs but in digital form.

Think about it... a lot of people have ADAT I/O on their audio interfaces, but can only get 4 channels of ADAT at 96kHz. Plus, ADAT is Alesis tech so it should be cheap for them to use it on the synth.

The Ion's a phenomenal synth engine for vintage replication, and I think this suggestion would be a good and profitable way to preserve it.

Also, there's been speculation that Clavia are planning on introducing something like a Nord Wave 2... which of course interests me because the Nord Wave preserves and expands upon the Nord Lead 3's FM capabilities. Maybe a Nord Wave 2 with four parts, a rack version, syncable LFOs?

And of course Waldorf may end up releasing some sort of "Super-Blofeld with lots of i/o and all of Waldorf's previous digital synth works" thing, which would do great FM too (less intuitively than any Nord Wave 2 though, but with a far more flexible overall sound engine)... ahhh, Speculative GAS, gotta love it.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Keen to see what the new Nord synth is, would love it to be a G3 but think a Wave 2 is more likely.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:05 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Keen to see what the new Nord synth is, would love it to be a G3 but think a Wave 2 is more likely.
Indeed. I'm getting the feeling that Clavia might be interested in streamlining their synth range as follows:

Nord Lead: Traditional VA/Subtractive synth focused on analog emulations but with some digital thrown in (digital waveshapes pretty much)

Nord Wave: Oscillators can do samples, VA, digital waveshapes/sampled waveshapes and advanced FM algorithms, but there isn't as much of a focus on traditional analog emulations (i.e. no modelled filters).

To be fair I can see the logic behind this but I really don't see why it is necessary... wouldn't it make more sense for them to integrate this all into the same product? It wouldn't increase the cost very much at all, and it would certainly increase the value proposition and flexibility.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:11 am

I hope nord does something new. Theyve been kind if redundant for a while, except the drum thing. Be cool to see them release something they havent done before, but not likely.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 am

phesago wrote:I hope nord does something new. Theyve been kind if redundant for a while, except the drum thing. Be cool to see them release something they havent done before, but not likely.
Like what, real analog?