New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by wiss » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:37 pm

There you go...they created a new VA technology for this line.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:12 pm

I really don't think its a 'new technology', I think its just circuit modelling, which several top-line VSTs do (Diva and D-Cam stuff comes to mind)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Ashe37 wrote:I really don't think its a 'new technology', I think its just circuit modelling, which several top-line VSTs do (Diva and D-Cam stuff comes to mind)
Their words not mine...

newest clip

"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 pm

alpha wheel?!?

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 pm

That thing on the top has a very small keyboard. If it is a digital monophonic synthesizer then that would be bizarre. Korg Prophecy anyone?

My guess is that the synth at the top is monophonic. I reckon they are going to be exactly like the analog things they are emulating, (no extra features, just like an ms-20 but digital and with patches) but a lot cheaper, as they are digital?

I reckon the thing middle left is a vocoder, the thing on the middle right is an effects unit and the thing below that is a drum machine (obviously).

Apparently we will find out what they are on the 15th of February.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/02/ ... ur-models/

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm

This is my guess. TB-3 should be the new TB-303, the TR-8 should be the new but hybrid of TR-808 and TR-909. There seems to be a theme unifying all the units so System 1 might be linked somehow (through software or a connector maybe). Yeah VT-3 should be a vocal processor of sorts. The next thing to find out is how they sound and cost!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Regarding the TB-3 (middle right), the text seems to read "Touch Bassline". And it indeed seems to be a touch panel present.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Yea I agree now about the tb -3. Just doesn't look like a 303, so it wasn't obvious. Looks like those touch screen midi controller things but with a synth inside? With lit pads that change to perform different functions. Look very hard at the pads and they are kind of shaped like a keyboard and underneath you can just make out cdefgabc.
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Not looking bad I have to say. Let's hope workflow, actual sound in one's own hands and price are going to be nice :thumbright:

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:33 pm

heres some info on the AIRA according to http://www.x0xclones.com/roland-aira-tr-8/
Part of the Roland Aira series of machines, the TR-8 is a modern day evolution of the Rhythm Composers from the 80s capable of producing a wide variety of timbres, including sounds inspired by the TR-808 and TR-909 drum machines. With their brightly backlit pads, sliders, knobs and buttons the Aira machines have been designed with ease of use and live performance in mind.

The TR-8 includes 11 instrument Tracks each with dedicated Level faders and Mute buttons. Each Track also provides control over several editable parameters (Tuning, Decay etc.). The eleven Tracks are labelled Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Low Tom, Mid Tom, High Tom, Rim Shot, Hand Clap, Closed HiHat, Open HiHat, Crash Cymbal and Ride Cymbal. Complete Kits or individual Instruments can be chosen using the “Drum Select” button.

The sequencer includes sixteen “Pads” each representing a step in the “Pattern”. Each Pattern is able to utilise two “Parts” – A and B, with an AB mode for creating Patterns with up to 32 steps. Pattern length can easily be set by holding down the “Last Step” button and pressing the Pad representing the last note of the Pattern. There are also four “Rolls” available including 8th and 16th note rolls.

Instruments can be quickly selected as active for Pattern programming by holding down the “INST Select” button and one of the first eleven Pads of the sequencer. Patterns can either be created manually by programming in each step or by recording your performance live using the Pads. Accents can also be sequenced to emphasise voices by an increase in amplitude.
sounds pretty fun. no mention of individual outputs, but big slider fader per inst look way more fun than muting on an er-1

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I think these are looking good... just hope they come in sensibly priced.

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:08 pm

No pitch or mod wheel on the keyboard?? :?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't know if this is needless bitching or not, but:

Roland has created some new products using a new technology, and they're going to be releasing them soon. Okay, that's awesome. So, why all of this hinting about them doing the thing that a lot of people wanted them to do... when they're also saying that's not what they did? Why all the talk of analog technology when analog technology... the thing that a lot of people want from them... isn't what they're doing? Why, after all of the constant begging for analog remakes of their previous products are they excitedly telling us that they're making non-analog-non-remake versions of their previous products that are BETTER? It's such a mess of mixed messages.

With all of the truly astounding software possibilities for synthesis, all of the sampling workstations, all of the fantastic analog synths, and all of the compact and insanely interesting and powerful modular synths... how can they possibly think that people are going to be excited about their new technology when they're not demonstrating it, but rather telling us it's like their stuff from the past but really very different and employs analog-simulating technology?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Roland has created some new products using a new technology, and they're going to be releasing them soon. Okay, that's awesome. So, why all of this hinting about them doing the thing that a lot of people wanted them to do... when they're also saying that's not what they did? Why all the talk of analog technology when analog technology... the thing that a lot of people want from them... isn't what they're doing? Why, after all of the constant begging for analog remakes of their previous products are they excitedly telling us that they're making non-analog-non-remake versions of their previous products that are BETTER? It's such a mess of mixed messages.
I guess they subscribe to the notion that "any publicity is good publicity" and there's apparently no such thing as backlash...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73