New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 pm

wiss wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:
wiss wrote: If I can not sequence an external synth via MIDI, I have no interest in this machine.
Do you know how hilariously pompous and pretentious you sound?
It's pretty simple, I have limited resources and space. The equipment I purchase must meet my individual and very specific needs. If this makes me pompous and pretentious, so be it.

If the new Drum Machine by Roland can sequence an external synth, then damn it, I will be pretty excited.
What I said came out wrong. I merely meant the way you stated it. It just reminds me of a king on a throne. "I have no use for such peasantry". Your reasoning makes sense. No harm meant.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:52 pm

griffin avid wrote:Do you know how hilariously pompous and pretentious you sound?

Those aint the right two adjectives, but it's strange to make such a bold announcement and concern for such and slim margin. If you were worried about:
1) Cost, then I bet MANY would echo your sentiment.....
2) How it sounds IN COMPARISON, then you'd have a ton of shared hopefuls....
3) How it simply functions as A DAMN DRUM MACHINE...
4) How simple, intuitive and/or knob-laden the surface was...
5) How many lights the M'fer has.....

Anything...um....normal....but with everyone knowing so little, you boldly step forward and proclaim...
something...probably....no one cares about....and seeing there's probably soooooo much already that can sequence a bunch of synths....I dunno if....awww you get the idea......

With all this speculation, that's your stumbling block???

I'm sorry, it is kinda funny.

But it would be hilarious if you got one early and your review demo video was you ONLY sequencing other synths and skipping all the drum machine aspects. All the comments would be angry versions of the last 26 pages.
yes, that would be funny...

If the interface is horrible, if it sounds horrible, or if the price is ridiculous, then obviously I would not care if it could sequence an external synth or not.

It's really about the limited space that I have, my ever growing stop motion and traditional animation equipment occupies 90% of the space that I have. I've slowly departed with all my music equipment (besides a few key pieces) to make space. I would like to avoid using an akai MPC, or something I have to hook up to a computer, or an older drum machine.

So, as I'm looking for a new drum machine(because I need one), I have a few simple demands, besides that it sounds good, it's relatively new, and a decent interface. It has to have the ability to sequence external synth, I know crazy.

I assumed the Elektron Rytm was going to be able to sequence an external synth, as the MM and MD can, but I was wrong.

So, if Roland's new drum machine drum machine can sequence an external synth, I will take a serious look at it, other than that I have no interest in it, plain and simple.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Tokyo Tapes

Post by Tokyo Tapes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
wiss wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:
Do you know how hilariously pompous and pretentious you sound?
It's pretty simple, I have limited resources and space. The equipment I purchase must meet my individual and very specific needs. If this makes me pompous and pretentious, so be it.

If the new Drum Machine by Roland can sequence an external synth, then damn it, I will be pretty excited.
What I said came out wrong. I merely meant the way you stated it. It just reminds me of a king on a throne. "I have no use for such peasantry". Your reasoning makes sense. No harm meant.
It was funny though. You people are just way too serious over this AIRA thing.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: The Tanzbär can sequence an external synth too
Thanks, this is what I'm looking for.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Ugh.

First and foremost... most people who want analog don't actually want analog... because analog includes things like unpredictable variation, noise, good AND bad results (at least as far as predictability), and imprecise tuning. THIS is why analog simulations never work. They're trying to sound analog while they're trying to meet the needs of people who want analog but don't actually want analog.

The math required to honestly simulate analog is expensive... and ultimately, it's only going to be enough to trick human ears into perceiving analog variation. It's not the same thing. Ashe should know, especially as a 3D modeler, that there is a difference between tricking the eye and portraying reality.

Analog is natural. It is random and dirty and infinitely variable. That which people usually associate with "fat" is just detuning and resonance and a bunch of s**t that digital synths and software can already do. But what analog REALLY is is messy and variable and dirty and distorted and out of tune. It is very hard to accurately recreate that because it takes a lot of processing power to generate that level of variability. Luckly, you don't have to truly create that level of variability to trick human ears. But even so... it is expensive and complicated to simulate true analog. And what the f**k is the point, when most of you don't want all the "flaws" that define true analog?

Most people just want the "status" of analog. I don't care how many "circuit simulations" you do... the only way you're gonna get anything that comes close to actual analog is to do things that people today wouldn't accept. It's not that its impossible, it's just that it's TRULY UNWANTED.
:agree: :clap:

The A vs D argument is old. I think a lot of it for me is not so much the sound source as it is how many knobs are provided. More and more new digital synths are putting a knob per parameter though, and with good sound engines I believe the lines can get blurred easily. I've been using the free Arturia Minimoog they released last year and I think it sounds fantastic and am only limited by not having a knob filled midi controller.
bonne chance

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Not trying to be an anal wart but I have some really specific needs right now.

Tokyo Tapes

Post by Tokyo Tapes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:25 am

I found this on youtube

Do you guys think it's the sound of the thing? I mean, first review is scheduled for tomorrow right?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 am

Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 am

kuroichi wrote:Instagram clip
Oh man, I fear the worst...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 am

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:08 am

I'm sure it won't be up for long

Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 am

Hugo76 wrote:
kuroichi wrote:Instagram clip
Oh man, I fear the worst...
Really? A 15 second Instagram clip is going to make you say that? Jesus Christ...

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:14 am

^^ Instagram snippet, it's going through empirical labs fatso

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:17 am

volumetrik wrote:^^ Instagram snippet, it's going through empirical labs fatso
Doesn't matter. It's a drum machine synth. You wouldn't judge any other synth after 15 seconds of one patch. The whole point is you can edit the sounds and how it works creatively. An Instagram clip doesn't even give you an idea of sound quality.

pelican

Post by pelican » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 am

Well i'll have to wait to hear more, but the clip sounded horrible
Last edited by pelican on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.