New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Just watched the system 1 vid above. If you make that type of music then, cool. To me though, it sounded bloody hideous. Of course they only showed the commercial dance patches and sounds but still. Not one for me. I'll stick with the SH09 through some nice pedals or A4 effects.

mute
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by mute » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:45 pm

my take from this since im not interested in the products, is that roland has finally made their stance clear on the whole analogue revival going on.

User avatar
moremagic
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 am
Real name: A.M.
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99
Location: nc

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by moremagic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:52 pm

id still rather have a 7x7 than a tr 8
i was hoping the tr 8 would be cheaper and have individual hardware outs so i can run each voice thru my individual hardware. dang
it seems they are going after maschine/mpc with a really strong computer tie in but with much nearer total functionality away from the box.
its a direction to go in, i guess, but it seems pretty late to that game and bizarre to try and market it as replacements for the old analog gear.

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
I'm not saying it's particularly bad (or good for that matter) but I think the inclusion of an onboard bit crusher kinda speaks volumes here. Possibly a compensation for a lack of intrinsic character perhaps? :geek:
Well, that or it's one of the more popular effects in the current crop of electronic music.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I love bitcrushers to be honest but I don't want all of the things I love to be there right in the same place. I want to put effort into my sounds, I don't want the easy way around things. I spend alot of time trying to degrade sounds through various processes to get individual timbres, which defunkts the higher quality sound they are providing here. That is the enjoyable thing about making music for me, how many people hear and enjoy it at the end is secondary. These products are for people who want to spend less time making and more time out there making people dance. To which there is nothing wrong with that at all.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 am

mute wrote:my take from this since im not interested in the products, is that roland has finally made their stance clear on the whole analogue revival going on.
Roland has been making their stance incredibly clear for years now, it seems that most people aren't listening though.
tallowwaters wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:I'm not saying it's particularly bad (or good for that matter) but I think the inclusion of an onboard bit crusher kinda speaks volumes here. Possibly a compensation for a lack of intrinsic character perhaps? :geek:
Well, that or it's one of the more popular effects in the current crop of electronic music.
My sentiments exactly.

These are just synths, they pretty much sound like whatever the person making the patches wants them to sound like. Don't want heaps of reverb and delay on your patch? Don't add any. Don't want mega phasey supersaw sounds? Use a different osc model. I've got an Ultranova even though I think most of the demos of it on youtube sound terrible. It's got a really good sounding flexible synth engine though, so I just make patches that I like and then it sounds great. :idea:

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Real name: Douglas
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by phesago » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I just make patches that I like and then it sounds great.
my take away from most of the gibberish on the "synth-er-net"

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by monolith » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
These are just synths, they pretty much sound like whatever the person making the patches wants them to sound like. Don't want heaps of reverb and delay on your patch? Don't add any. Don't want mega phasey supersaw sounds? Use a different osc model. I've got an Ultranova even though I think most of the demos of it on youtube sound terrible. It's got a really good sounding flexible synth engine though, so I just make patches that I like and then it sounds great. :idea:
Agreed. I've got the Mininova and 99% of the presets are absolutely horrible (it has Dubstep printed on it for f**k sake!) but it's a great sounding and amazingly capable synth engine. If I judged it by its presets I'd probably have to set it on fire.

volumetrik
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by volumetrik » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
mute wrote:my take from this since im not interested in the products, is that roland has finally made their stance clear on the whole analogue revival going on.
Roland has been making their stance incredibly clear for years now, it seems that most people aren't listening though.
How did they make their stance clear? Time frame between last analog made?

Korg had a similar time frame.

They never actually made any direct comments about it though, at least I haven't seen any, or answered questions about if they'll do analog, there was a guy who arranged an interview with Roland, the rep was nice and all but when it came time to answer questions no reply.

It is acceptable now they'll never do analog again though, after this campaign.

But there is a rumor that real analog at Roland is cooking and AIRA has to be seen as a competitor to Electribe, apparently they are making Eurorack modules too. I'll find the Facebook post where a guy met with the new CEO, and the guy replied in more detail what the new CEO mentioned.

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
I'm not saying it's particularly bad (or good for that matter) but I think the inclusion of an onboard bit crusher kinda speaks volumes here. Possibly a compensation for a lack of intrinsic character perhaps? :geek:
Well, that or it's one of the more popular effects in the current crop of electronic music.
Must be a sign I'm getting old then haha :D

The funny thing about Roland is they seem a little like the creepy uncle trying to be cool and up to date but ultimately missing the point entirely :lol:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1562
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:45 am

Hybrid88 wrote:The funny thing about Roland is they seem a little like the creepy uncle trying to be cool and up to date but ultimately missing the point entirely :lol:
They should license a mascot for AIRA:
Image
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

edfunction
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:47 pm
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200
Location: Basel

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by edfunction » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:59 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
The funny thing about Roland is they seem a little like the creepy uncle trying to be cool and up to date but ultimately missing the point entirely :lol:
I don't know if I agree, it seems that they are giving people what they have been asking for using the technology that they are most comfortable developing (and have been developing for years). I don't like the sound of the system1 or TB from the demos but the TR sounds pretty close to my ears (would have to hear it in person to judge) which is what most people want. Korg is a different company with a different vision, different developers etc. I'd like to see Roland update the V-synth or look into other sampling tech. but there are plenty of companies doing cool stuff these days, I certainly can't afford it all...

The thing that Korg and Arturia (and others) have noticed is that a lot of people are willing to buy "unique" but limited stuff within a certain price bracket and are making products that sit in easy wallet reach. This obviously works well for them. The thing that Roland could (it seems they have to a degree) take from this is make something that does one thing well rather than do a bit of everything and price it accordingly.

So far the only emulations of the TR series that sound close enough IMO have been digital emulations, the Jomox/MFB/Acidlab sounds pretty different if that's what you need. If they made these things analog it would be a different price bracket, at least for the drum machine.

We will have to see if the TR8 packs the punch on a PA like the old ones do, that for me is the important thing with the 808-909-707. The faders are something that I've been wishing for forever!

anyway, I'm looking forward to hear all the new bits. :D

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 pm

volumetrik wrote:But there is a rumor that real analog at Roland is cooking and AIRA has to be seen as a competitor to Electribe, apparently they are making Eurorack modules too. I'll find the Facebook post where a guy met with the new CEO, and the guy replied in more detail what the new CEO mentioned.
Let's make sure we all see this part AGAIN: a rumor Not truth. A RUMOR. It is just that and until it's officially announced, I would not get my hopes up. Nor spread that rumor.

You come up with confirmation and I'll be the first to agree, but until then, let's not add fuel to the fire, OK?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Real name: Douglas
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by phesago » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:06 am

volumetrik wrote:they'll never do analog again



:lol: I feel like this coming from you is hilarious. A lot of good that facebook trolling did :lol:

volumetrik
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by volumetrik » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:10 am

phesago wrote:
volumetrik wrote:they'll never do analog again



:lol: I feel like this coming from you is hilarious. A lot of good that facebook trolling did :lol:
Funny thing is 95% of your posts have an lol attached to it lately

Post Reply