New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Looks like they are aiming at the Yamaha MOXF with this one.

PS: I like how in the AIRA video he says "in 1980 electronic music did not exist" :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
PS: I like how in the AIRA video he says "in 1980 electronic music did not exist" :lol:
I think they meanthouse(disco music?) techno "trance". I suppose "contemporary popular dance" music.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:19 pm

meatballfulton wrote:PS: I like how in the AIRA video he says "in 1980 electronic music did not exist" :lol:
Someone better call Kraftwerk and Jarre, and tell them it was all a dream. :lol:

All your history are belong to us.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

I think they also may be referencing hiphop with the comment "using it as a leadiing instrument" seeing in how all those cats go apeshit over the 808. h**l ive been lucky enough to sell custom sample packs to a few guys locally. Not much but its cool and fun to do.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

New vocoder/voice processor too.

I hope they all have D-beam too

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Is there SERIOUSLY that big of a market left for workstations ? I thought most of that demographic has been switching to a computer with a good MIDI keyboard...
bonne chance

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 pm

zoomtheline wrote:New vocoder/voice processor too.

I hope they all have D-beam too
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachme ... ail004.jpg

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Is there SERIOUSLY that big of a market left for workstations ? I thought most of that demographic has been switching to a computer with a good MIDI keyboard...

I think it's a circular argument. Make a box with tons of sounds for "gigging" and everyone says:
"WHAT, NO SEQUENCER FOR MY BACKING TRACKS?!!!!!!!"

--give it an awesome sequencer and tons of sounds and someone says: "Bah, too heavy to gig with!!!"

Make something in the middle and everyone says X is much more powerful....and has more.....

Make a unit tied to a computer at all and everyone plays out- without a laptop.
Make the ultimate standalone piece and everyone has a DAW they need total integration with.
------------------------------------

I certainly think this is a box+PC combination. Seeing the labels ON THE BOX itself- smacks of having an EXACT piece of software it is tied to. Even the video....the guy is in front of a computer. If it was a standalone drumbox, they woulda been jammin out (probably in a weird setting). I'd love to be wrong. I welcome ANY new drum-machine-groovy-thingie....and the blinking lights is always a plus, BUT!

As someone said a piece of software with multi-samples and a custom controller is probably the answer.
And seeing how far out ahead Maschine is, I wonder what chance this has to sweep us off our feet.
-especially coming this far late behind.....

And...and I think they already hit the pinnacle with the MV-8800. How do you top that?
The ONLY thing that screams 'more than controller' is the drum grid design on the front. If it all software, then they'd be no need for that. So maybe a digital drum machine (tied to the PC as audio interface) is a possibility. That would give it one feature better than Maschine out the gate.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Can't wait to be disappointed.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm

If I'm honest I'm expecting disappointment more than anything. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:12 pm

hmm we shall see.

As a side note, does anyone else think their new stuff is really ugly or is it just me? Can't stand that lurid green and red they use all the time. :?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm

They must be watching the response, because they removed some of the pictures that could be found on their own site, one of which I linked to earlier. Why they bothered to remove this now I don't understand, as the picture of the whole unit is floating around everywhere.

http://www.roland.com/aira/_assets/imag ... ail003.png
now yields 404 error.

But I found it again as a google thumbnail.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:19 pm

D-Collector wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:PS: I like how in the AIRA video he says "in 1980 electronic music did not exist" :lol:
Someone better call Kraftwerk and Jarre, and tell them it was all a dream. :lol:

All your history are belong to us.
Add Carlos and Subotnick and Eaton and Derbyshire and Stockhausen and Sala and Cage and Schaeffer and Varese to that list.

Here, let me just fix it:

"By 1980, all that was left of electronic music was fun dancey tunes."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Hehe, yes I know about the others, I just needed to drop some names in a hurry. :)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:48 pm

And...and I think they already hit the pinnacle with the MV-8800. How do you top that?
+1000000000000
I'm all for the analog renaissance and support the hope this new 808 is analog (or at least standalone), but I can't imagine anything touching the MV8800 - anyone who has used it as a drum machine will attest that it's depth and sound quality and sequencer are all top notch. (sorry to derail, I just enjoy seeing another MV fan).

The MV's biggest problem was it was not a big hit, and as griffin pointed out about other gear, people bemoaned it was too big/not giggable....it's the sort of risk roland took (trying to compete with MPC obviously) that didn't pay off that I think led them back onto the stale arranger keyboard-type path. Let's hope this new ARIA line is both innovative and successful so they'll be inspired to go that direction more often.