New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:08 pm

moremagic wrote:what exactly is 'style in a box' ? all that comes to my mind is limited 90s digital tech. the sort of goofy crud like the mc-303 and sp-202 which were just really cheap limited versions of more capable products, so they marketed them as entry level stuff and whatever.
were the korg electribes 'style-in-a-box'?
what about the 808?
Yeah, the MC-303 and company are good examples - you can usually tell these because the advertising is focused on "dance music! In a box!" or "hip-hop! In a box!" handy-dandy-touch-a-button-does-it-all-wonderbox hype. The 808 I wouldn't classify in that way because A. it's not some kind of all-in-one prefab-sound-in-a-box box, and B. as much as it's strongly associated with certain styles now, that only happened some time after its release, when pioneers of those styles decided they liked it for what it was - it wasn't created as a one-touch rap/hip-hop/etc. machine.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Anyone who can't make any kind of music with a groovebox is limited not by the equipment they're using but by their own abilities. :thumbright:
Oh, don't get me wrong: a suitably creative person can use just about anything to suit whatever purpose they like. It's not that I think they're unsuitable for anything else, it's the whole idea of selling prefab art machines that turns my stomach. It'd be like if art stores all started trying to sell paint-by-numbers kits as the Latest and Greatest that everyone should buy and turning up their nose at the notion of furthering support for oil and canvas.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 am

Maybe you should try finding something more important to be worried about. :idea:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:34 am

Why? Then I'd have to be really worried.

Besides, the progressive purging of the human element from music ain't exactly nothing.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 am

What decade is this again? Damn those player pianos and all that hurdy-gurdy auto-accompaniment drone s**t.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 am

Any decade where turning art into an assembly line is cool is a decade I don't want to be living in.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 am

commodorejohn wrote:Besides, the progressive purging of the human element from music ain't exactly nothing.
Isn't that the same closed minded argument that guitarists use to dismiss synths as "real" instruments?

Technology is only as good as the person controlling it ;)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 am

commodorejohn wrote:Any decade where turning art into an assembly line is cool is a decade I don't want to be living in.
Buy a pistol and one bullet.

The world is going to turn out to be all sorts of ways that aren't what you wanted or intended. Most all of us learned this growing up.

Entry level grooveboxes are exactly what they claim to be. If somebody wants something to "play a beat" so they can freestyle with their friends in the apartment on a drunken Saturday night, what pretentious twit is going to have the nerve to tell them they aren't doing it right?

But hey, what do I know? Keep bumping up that post count defending some overwrought elitist opinion.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 am

You know what really sucks? The way that all music is now exactly the same, ie really bad, ever since a company made a box that could play synth parts and drums at the same time.

It's just like when the typewriter was invented and everybody immediately started writing in that particular way that everybody with a typewriter does, which isn't as good as writing by hand.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:20 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Isn't that the same closed minded argument that guitarists use to dismiss synths as "real" instruments?
Yes, and they're ignorant, because synths don't play themselves and there's loads of ways to get human expression out of them. Designing a machine to produce "art" in a given format is another thing altogether.
tallowwaters wrote:Buy a pistol and one bullet.
Wow, you're quite the charmer.
The world is going to turn out to be all sorts of ways that aren't what you wanted or intended. Most all of us learned this growing up.
Yes, and? Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Entry level grooveboxes are exactly what they claim to be. If somebody wants something to "play a beat" so they can freestyle with their friends in the apartment on a drunken Saturday night, what pretentious twit is going to have the nerve to tell them they aren't doing it right?
If this were limited to that kind of low-bar home-keyboard kind of thing, I might agree. But these things aren't being positioned as something for Junior to do karaoke with, they're being sold to producers as a solution for serious music production, because the industry likes to see the mechanization of creative expression, especially when it involves having some new trendy gadget to sell.
But hey, what do I know? Keep bumping up that post count defending some overwrought elitist opinion.
Will do!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You know what really sucks? The way that all music is now exactly the same, ie really bad, ever since a company made a box that could play synth parts and drums at the same time.
All of it? No, thankfully. There are still a good number of artists who actually put effort and personal expression into their work. But is it worse than it used to be? h**l yes. Listen to the autotuned prefab bullshit that infests the radio now and compare that to where we were forty years ago.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:38 am

i think you missed the sarcasm there john

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 am

At the risk of feeding the troll, I must say that as one who actually was around to listen to the radio 40 years ago, I can honestly say that there was as much c**p on the air back then as there is today. The "good stuff" will find staying power and the bad won't. There is prefab bullshit in every era, including plenty of examples in the Library of Congress field recordings.

Frankly, some of the "bad" of the time will be revered as wonderful (in time), due to repetition (familiarity). I can assure you that some of the stuff that's looked upon by many fondly now was as pure s**t to some then as it is today. I highly doubt that everyone will agree that every song that's considered a "classic" truly is one.

However, what this has to do with the next generation of instruments Roland is about to cough up is minimal.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:54 am

Yes, to a certain extent, but honestly I'd argue that even most of the bad stuff from the '70s was a whole lot better than the bad stuff today, or even some of the merely mediocre stuff.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:11 am

All posts beyond this not directly about Roland's new s**t will be deleted.
All posts beyond this point that are aimless bitching will be deleted.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Low Life

Post by Low Life » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:55 am

Nick from Sonic State stated that he'd be receiving one of these this week, with the embargo being lifted on the 15th (and he'd have a video ready for that). We also know what the bottom of the thing looks like and that the first review in Europe will be going up on 14th:

Black plastic, who'd have have guessed?