New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by desmond » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Analogue Ryhthm Machine, 6 Analog and 4PCM-based Drumparts, Loop- and Step-Sequencer, Stutter-, Active Step and Step Jump-Functions, Multitouch Trigger Pad / Step-Button, LED-Display, Build-in Speaker, Sync I/O 1/8" Mini-Input female Mono, MIDI In, Headphone-Out 1/8" Mini-TRS Stereo, Power via 6x AA Battery or optional Power Supply (KA-350; not included), Dimention: 193 x 115 x 45 mm (WxHxD), Weight: 372

698 Euros" which currently comes to $948.93.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:12 pm

D-Collector wrote:They must be watching the response, because they removed some of the pictures that could be found on their own site, one of which I linked to earlier. Why they bothered to remove this now I don't understand, as the picture of the whole unit is floating around everywhere.

http://www.roland.com/aira/_assets/imag ... ail003.png
now yields 404 error.

But I found it again as a google thumbnail.

If the above photo is legit, it clearly shows "bass drum," "snare drum," etc., with a slider and set of knobs above it. These controls look a lot like mixer and tone controls for each of these instruments. The question is, where does the sound come from -- i.e., is it analog, analog plus samples, just samples? To me, it looks like it could very well be a stand-alone machine. I hope so; I refuse to buy any piece of gear that needs a separate PC in order to make sound.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. When is Winter NAMM? That's apparently when it will be unveiled.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:17 pm

And so what's this thing?!? It says "voice transformer" on it. I found the image while searching for "Roland Aira." Looks like another piece of gear in the series....

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:23 pm

desmond wrote:Analogue Ryhthm Machine, 6 Analog and 4PCM-based Drumparts, Loop- and Step-Sequencer, Stutter-, Active Step and Step Jump-Functions, Multitouch Trigger Pad / Step-Button, LED-Display, Build-in Speaker, Sync I/O 1/8" Mini-Input female Mono, MIDI In, Headphone-Out 1/8" Mini-TRS Stereo, Power via 6x AA Battery or optional Power Supply (KA-350; not included), Dimention: 193 x 115 x 45 mm (WxHxD), Weight: 372

these are the specs for the Korg Volca Beats ;)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Something like the Arturia Spark perhaps?

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Looks like they are aiming at the Yamaha MOXF with this one.

PS: I like how in the AIRA video he says "in 1980 electronic music did not exist" :lol:
That's fine by me :) I'm another big fan of the XF sound and anything that could possibly compete would be worth a test drive.
even Siberia goes through the motions....

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
desmond wrote:Analogue Ryhthm Machine, 6 Analog and 4PCM-based Drumparts, Loop- and Step-Sequencer, Stutter-, Active Step and Step Jump-Functions, Multitouch Trigger Pad / Step-Button, LED-Display, Build-in Speaker, Sync I/O 1/8" Mini-Input female Mono, MIDI In, Headphone-Out 1/8" Mini-TRS Stereo, Power via 6x AA Battery or optional Power Supply (KA-350; not included), Dimention: 193 x 115 x 45 mm (WxHxD), Weight: 372

these are the specs for the Korg Volca Beats ;)
Exactly what I was thinking! :lol:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Yeah, this is gonna be more same-old-same-old.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

There are a whole lot of "if"s about this leaked product that make me skeptical about wanting it.

It may just be a controller. The whole line may be just controllers for plugins. The teasers show it being used with a computer.

With the drum machine, I don't really care if it's digital or analog, but it's probably either a controller or a PCM box. I'm staying very skeptical until the actual product is announced.

IF Roland has actually awoken, then it would really really surprise me. They have mined their past over and over and put out mediocre products. If it looks promising based on a supposed name (TR-08) or design, remember they have mined those for mediocre or at best unexciting products for the past decade--SH-01, JP-80, Juno G. Appearance and name don't seem to give any indication of quality for Roland. They seem to be interested in mass market appeal not niche genre. But maybe hip-hop and wub-wub music is popular enough for them to pay attention. Who knows.

I'm remaining very skeptical.

Another issue is pricepoint. Who's gonna go for a 303 update unless it can beat the Volca Bass? Not me. I don't have money to throw at vintage gear, but I can get a Volca Bass.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Just saw this on GS. Mentions VST release. Balloon briefly inflated then popped...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9758775-post919.html
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 pm

A VST?!? :o

*begins stabbing screwdriver into ears* :lol:

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm

^pretty sure that has already been called out as a photoshop/joke

I *really* can't see it being a controller at this point...they can't be that daft, right?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Oh for f**k's sake. Did anyone tell them that there are already eleven million VSTs emulating exactly those machines?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Just saw this on GS. Mentions VST release. Balloon briefly inflated then popped...
Obvious fake. It isn't even the same font. And nothing new on the Aira website,

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 pm

I *really* can't see it being a controller at this point...they can't be that daft, right?

Why that?
Arturia's drum machine is a controller...probably sold well.
NI Maschine is an 'mpc' controller.....has sold a ton. [I have bought 2 so far...]
Why wouldn't Roland think ....our best-est drum machine line....as a ....controller.......

And so, it's a revamped TR series with 'modern sensibilities'....
1) DEDICATED CONTROLLER 1 for 1 with the software
2) VST integration, automation/whatever....
3) Grid style throwback programming with added features.....

They aint making an analog drum machine and if they did, it wouldn't look ANYTHING like that.
And since sales have sagged for all standalone drumboxes (Who aint using software at this point?) I can't imagine that lane being so sexy.....

Now, I for one know EVERYONE wanted an analog beast and then DSI gave you/us one and a lot of people suddenly had excuses...

And so we want something with the
Sound of a TR....
Features of an Elektron...
Pads of an MPC...
Ease of a eLectribe....

For cheap, and um....analog (mostly)......

Well that could be exactly what this is ...almost.....sorta.....

I think most of us are in love with the Idea OF An Analog Drum Machine...because we imagine gigging somewhere and just that little box is the brain of our set ups...buy soooo many more would use it in a studio where they would appreciate more- the total integration.....

I think DSI should take the Tempsest tech and break it down into smaller boxes that do less, easier, but nail the sound....import samples easily or um........1 new thing the Tempest doesn't do. Make it really affordable and POW!
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com