New stuff from Roland!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: New stuff from Roland!

Post by D-Collector » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 pm

http://ohpeewon.com/discussion/comment/ ... ment_36386
I got to play with prototypes back in November. Non disclosure agreement expires now that the Aira site is up. All 4 Aira machines are digital, but will use modeling technology rather than PCM. The TR-08 has 909 sounds as well. They are not software controllers. This new division of Roland is dedicated to hardware since software has taken a huge chunk of their sales. Pieces are solid and well built. Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me. I'm not going to quote them here, though. Aira units are geared toward live performance rather than recording. One of them will have a very promising functionality. I really can't say much more in a public forum, but feel free to inbox me with any burning questions. Only 2 of the 4 prototypes were operational, TR-08 being one of them. Played with them for about 45 mins. Great fun.
Ok, seems plausible.. I don't mind all digital at all, as long as it sounds right and is not PCM. And good news about it having 909 as well. Solid, good build quality and low price.. All great news. IF this is true.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 pm

As long as "geared to live performance" doesn't mean "mix out only"... otherwise sounds promising :)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Sounds good. Still want a 909 :lol:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 pm

They're already almost to 50 pages on this thread at GS. Is this more hype than the MS-20 mini last year? Seems like a lot of hype. If it's really a VA, it may not be so bad.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

If it's just a simple V/a drum machine, geared towards live use, what separates it from late 1990's stuff like the Korg ER-1?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:34 pm

And can it be as flexible as a Machinedrum without stealing P locks?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it being VA or DSP based, I just hope it has its own sound/style rather than a straight emulation though. I was thinking about getting a nord drum not so long ago, as having played with one I think it sounds great, so if true, this could work out to be good product, especially if its cheap.

If this is an 'ER-1' type device, having multi outs, good build/audio quality and full MIDI implementation could make it quite nice. Kind of like a progression from the 808-909-707, Analog/Hybrid/PCM/...

I would actually buy that if the price was right, and the sequencer was well thought out.
Last edited by kuroichi on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm

mute wrote:If it's just a simple V/a drum machine, geared towards live use, what separates it from late 1990's stuff like the Korg ER-1?
Well, probably better modeling, and a slider per part setup for volume. It's also not a drum synth like the ER-1. Also the ER-1 only has stereo outs, not separate outs per part (as one website alleges). Also the ER-1 has 4 synth parts and 4 samples. The VA part of it is only 4 voices, and there's only one set of knobs to control all four of them. It gets a bit fiddly.

As far as Roland's modeling goes, I can't speak about their newer VAs, but I really like the SH-32, but I think it's sampled waveforms, not strictly VA. But it still sounds great. And the digital filter character on that box is great. The Res really screams. So, I guess what I'm saying is that they can pull off good stuff that's not analog.

This is still all speculative, since the claim that it's a VA machine is based on two unconfirmed rumors. If the price is right, and it's a proper drum machine, geared to performance, I might consider saving for one.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:17 pm

I might consider saving for one.

Hopefully, there's not too much of that needed.
The Sp-555 has been going UP in price.
"Live performance" can be a blessing and a curse. Nice if it simplifies the interface and brings the pattern juggling up front....bad if it's stripped down in functionality and becomes the drum machine for guitarists and keyboardists alike..

Because that would be back to the original concept....
Backing drums for people without a drummer.....could be severely limiting.....
as opposed to kick-a*s drum machine that IS YOUR DRUM MACHINE for electronic musicians....

Honestly, I'm no see keen on using/losing so much real estate for mixing LEVELS.
Small knob at the top would have sufficed and those faders could be doing soooo much more.
Make em assignable even....controlling effects.....pattern manipulations......

I love early speculation....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm

mute wrote:If it's just a simple V/a drum machine, geared towards live use, what separates it from late 1990's stuff like the Korg ER-1?
Pretty much nothing... Based on current knowledge of this new thing, the ER-1 still looks more innovative :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Hmm there's a video here at the link below. It shows quick shots of some Roland machines namely T808, TR909, TB303, SH101 then a shot of the new soon to be arrival.. Maybe its a mixture of all 4.. nice if it is :-)
Check the video at 01:00 if you haven't already.

Also here:

NEW ROLAND MACHINE

Rob

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm

D-Collector wrote:http://ohpeewon.com/discussion/comment/ ... ment_36386
I got to play with prototypes back in November. Non disclosure agreement expires now that the Aira site is up. All 4 Aira machines are digital, but will use modeling technology rather than PCM. The TR-08 has 909 sounds as well. They are not software controllers. This new division of Roland is dedicated to hardware since software has taken a huge chunk of their sales. Pieces are solid and well built. Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me. I'm not going to quote them here, though. Aira units are geared toward live performance rather than recording. One of them will have a very promising functionality. I really can't say much more in a public forum, but feel free to inbox me with any burning questions. Only 2 of the 4 prototypes were operational, TR-08 being one of them. Played with them for about 45 mins. Great fun.
Ok, seems plausible.. I don't mind all digital at all, as long as it sounds right and is not PCM. And good news about it having 909 as well. Solid, good build quality and low price.. All great news. IF this is true.
The quote that you quoted has disappeared; at least I don't see it when I click on the link you've provided. Pfft. :cry:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:06 pm

but can it sample?
a digital hardware drummything that doesn't sample will have to have a really fuggin' good ace in the hole besides "it models the classics". some pattern variation/interaction in the sequencer, and inputs for odd controllers and CV would be a start. but i'm not holding my breath.

hhhmmm...not to be a Negative Nancy here but the name TR-8 doesn't bode well for the imagination.
This being the same company that recently gave us the illustriously awful-sounding Gaia...which they oh-so cleverly christened the SH-1

TR doesn't apply to a digital box - because it's "Transistor' Rhythm. And this thing... isn't.
It stinks of their (what 15 years almost now?) old MC-series and VA shenanigans of being coy about what's inside the box. Dem' new 'junos' and 'jupiters' ...right!!!...uh,...right?? :?
The marketing takes precedence over a clear, sensible instrument design. And that has always been a problem in synth and electronic instruments, but Roland have dug themselves into a singularly bad habit of it lately; like the 15 year-long sort of 'lately'.

tl;dr = please stop wanking with my expectations Roland and just make something kick-a*s again, kthxbye
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:49 pm

shaft9000 wrote:TR doesn't apply to a digital box - because it's "Transistor' Rhythm. And this thing... isn't.
But there are transistors in digital instruments, aren't they? I mean awful lot of transistors in every microchip?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Another blah VA from Roland, shock and surprise.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73