Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Moog Sub 37, finaly a new poliphonic Moog?

Post by silikon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 pm

CfNorENa wrote:
silikon wrote:Multimode filter?
Don't think it's a multimode (with HPF and BPF); but it does have four slopes (6dB, 12dB, 18dB, and 24dB) which you can choose from the front panel.
silikon wrote:$1499.- (my guess)
God I hope you're right. But I'm thinking closer to $1999.
Bah, you're right. In my defense, it's extremely difficult to type when you have a synth boner the size of a sapling in the way. :D
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Finaly a new poliphonic Moog or not?!

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Also, duopohony can work in two different ways: 1) 2 fully articulated voices as standard, as in the Yamaha CS-40m, or 2) One 2-osc voice which can be articulated as a 2-voice (1-osc each) "paraphonic" type either by selection or playing two keys, such as the Odyssey (IIRC?)

Can't tell from the tiny graphic on my tablet whether there's any sign of which type this will be.
The second.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Nice one Moog!
silikon wrote:Arpeggiator with a record function? [...] Please let there be full CV.
These +1000.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Monophonic/Monophony: This synthesizer, triggered from a keyboard...
Bah! :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Monophonic/Monophony: This synthesizer, triggered from a keyboard...
Bah! :lol:[/quote]

I'm an old man stuck in the past. I intentionally put my descriptions in terms of 1970s analog synthesizers. :D

Also: SCREW YOU, DESKTOP SYNTHS.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The second.
Makes sense. Also, Korg Mono/Poly does this, yes? Hmm.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 pm

So what you are saying AG is that this new Moog will not retrigger Envelopes or filters of any key pressed after the first one if held?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Yep, that's what paraphonic and duophonic usually means...only the first note triggers the EGs (you don't trigger filters).

BTW Odyssey was weird. Hold one note, both VCOs play that note, hold two each gets one VCO. Can sound pretty odd...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pjablon

Post by pjablon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:22 pm

So it will be 2-OSC mono or 1-OSC duo-paraphonic with one filter and one amp. Not really exciting. It's like Polivoks or half of MonoPoly.

The crucial thing with all new paraphonic synths is that they have just the single AMP and AMP envelope for all voices. This is the bottleneck. Poly800 had an AMP with separate envelope for every oscillator and only the filter was shared. This way the timbre was paraphonic (single filter for all voices) but the volume was polyphonic (every note had independent AMP contour). Poly800 had 9 envelopes (8 AMP + 1 VCF) not only 2.

This new Moog will be very limited, only 2 voices and shared AMP ENV and VCF ENV.

They should make a hardware, hybrid Animoog with real analog filter and colour touchscreen for the digital oscillator section.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm

I have to say, though: The paraphony of duophonic is still really awesome. While we might wish that each voice was fully articulated, it has rarely been the case in analog synthesizers that both voices are.

Playing duophonic synthesizers with a paraphonic arrangement creates unique and enjoyable outcomes... and if you're used to playing like monophonics like I am, having the ability to add an extra note here and there is really fun and useful.

This conversation always makes me eye my CS-15 with a lust for modification. :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

meatballfulton wrote: BTW Odyssey was weird. Hold one note, both VCOs play that note, hold two each gets one VCO. Can sound pretty odd...
It's been 30 years since i sold it but I believe the Cat SRM behaved the same way.
even Siberia goes through the motions....

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Yep, that's what paraphonic and duophonic usually means...only the first note triggers the EGs (you don't trigger filters).

BTW Odyssey was weird. Hold one note, both VCOs play that note, hold two each gets one VCO. Can sound pretty odd...
Of course, sorry I did mean filter eg. I was thinking with the sounds in my head and hearing a slow attacked filter sweep on the first note and trying to imagine what the next note would do. Sort of like how my stratus works. Although I do think there are some quirks with mine so it does not work how it should.

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Ahem... the MaxiKorg 800DV would like to have a word with all of you.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 am

jim777 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: BTW Odyssey was weird. Hold one note, both VCOs play that note, hold two each gets one VCO. Can sound pretty odd...
It's been 30 years since i sold it but I believe the Cat SRM behaved the same way.
yes, all the Cats work that way...

I'd the most interesting application will be when the oscillators are synced: allows you to get some really interesting harmonic patterns each osc plays a different pitch (the Oddy also has the benefit of a ring mod which duophony works well with).
Do you even post on vse bro?

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 am

I am holding my breath for the Duo mode to be implemented in te same way that the Odyssey works. That would be the coolest.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:38 am

this looks pretty neat
will check it out

I hope Moog go all the way on Sample&Hold instead of just a plain noise-based 'random'; give it ext. clock and sample input like voyager...and a RINGMOD is a comparatively dead-simple circuit that should be in every analog synth - but they wanna sell you 'foogers, i guess. it's ridiculous how simple a ringmod is to make; a few diodes wired together with a few jacks and it's almost done.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies