Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kidney05
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 am
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Sooooo who's actually excited for this? I think it'll be awesome to have more tribute editions. Those were always the nicest little phattys. I think the sequencer looks sick too.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am
Real name: John
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I think you're confusing para with pseudo, or at the very least conflating the two. In other words, you have a pseudo-understanding of para, not a para-understanding. Also para is Greek, not latin.
Again, though, whether or not this is technically a confusion, it's one that has been in place in English for quite some time (viz. "paramedic," "paralegal.") It may not be technically "correct" in terms of actual Greek meaning, but it's how we've understood for a good long while now.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Para is currently used exactly the way I described its use in my post... :?

I think you're confusing para with pseudo, or at the very least conflating the two. In other words, you have a pseudo-understanding of para, not a para-understanding. Also para is Greek, not latin.
okay you win.
you will also get home first,before anyone, in your commute,
and all the vintage synths you own are surely more vintage than mine.
You have a much better grasp of google search and wikipedia than I can ever hope to achieve.
I am not worthy.

But Kirk still beats Sisko, Picard and Archer hands down.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 2889
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The right side of the Pennines
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:49 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:I said "Putting aside the actual latin roots"
because I was speaking on the use of the words, not from whence they derived.
Derivation determines proper usage. Sloppy use and incorrect assumptions blur meaning.

User avatar
Sir Nose
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Real name: Bob
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400
Location: PA

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:54 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:Para is currently used exactly the way I described its use in my post... :?

I think you're confusing para with pseudo, or at the very least conflating the two. In other words, you have a pseudo-understanding of para, not a para-understanding. Also para is Greek, not latin.
okay you win.
you will also get home first,before anyone, in your commute,
and all the vintage synths you own are surely more vintage than mine.
You have a much better grasp of google search and wikipedia than I can ever hope to achieve.
I am not worthy.

But Kirk still beats Sisko, Picard and Archer hands down.
And Janeway tops Kirk. So what?
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Aaron2
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 am
Real name: Aaron
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Kidney05 wrote:Sooooo who's actually excited for this? I think it'll be awesome to have more tribute editions. Those were always the nicest little phattys. I think the sequencer looks sick too.
+1 [he says, in an attempt to get the thread back on track. :lol: ] Having an onboard sequencer is always a huge plus in my book. :thumbright:

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:I think you're confusing para with pseudo, or at the very least conflating the two. In other words, you have a pseudo-understanding of para, not a para-understanding. Also para is Greek, not latin.
Again, though, whether or not this is technically a confusion, it's one that has been in place in English for quite some time (viz. "paramedic," "paralegal.") It may not be technically "correct" in terms of actual Greek meaning, but it's how we've understood for a good long while now.
I've never heard anyone confuse the two until now. Paralegals and paramedics certianly make a lot less than doctors and lawyers, and paramilitary forces are usually covered in the media as small fringe groups, which may be the source of confusion for some people? Not sure where this leaves parasols or paragliders, which are infinitely better than normal umbrellas or plain old gliders ;) .

Either way it's not the languages fault that some people are gramatically-challanged, and it's far from being a common usage error, especially compared to more common problems like using the "word" irregardless to mean regardless, or replacing you with the letter u, spelling that dat, etc. The only acceptable occurance of the latter imo is that meme of "dat a*s" with the pear wearing sunglasses. Picard.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Either way it's not the languages fault that some people are gramatically-challanged, and it's far from being a common usage error, especially compared to more common problems like using the "word" irregardless to mean regardless, or replacing you with the letter u, spelling that dat, etc. The only acceptable occurance of the latter imo is that meme of "dat a*s" with the pear wearing sunglasses. Picard.
You misspelled "Certainly", "Grammatically", "Challenged" and "Occurrence" in a vain attempt to appear smart.
Should have just quoted Princess Bride.

Greek, Latin and French aside,
PARAPHONIC was never a real word to begin with. Try and find a Webster's definition for the word that predates Roland's.
Meaning evolves in the public commons, and has nothing to do with a dictionary definition or etymology.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Aaron2
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 am
Real name: Aaron
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am

ninja6485 wrote:Either way it's not the languages fault that some people are gramatically-challanged, and it's far from being a common usage error, especially compared to more common problems like using the "word" irregardless to mean regardless ....
OT: "Irregardless" is a real word. I know people hate it (as do I), but that doesn't make it a "grammatical error," as you're suggesting.

Behold as Merriam-Webster's Associate Editor Kory Stamper breaks it down: :lol:


User avatar
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 2889
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The right side of the Pennines
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:13 am

calaverasgrande wrote:PARAPHONIC was never a real word to begin with. Try and find a Webster's definition for the word that predates Roland's.
Meaning evolves in the public commons, and has nothing to do with a dictionary definition or etymology.
"Real" words come into being through consensus and repetition. All words are coined somewhere, somehow, by someone or other, they don't magically appear from the clouds. Dictionaries do not prefigure language, they record it. All words occur before their inclusion in dictionaries, and a word being not in a dictionary does not render it not "real".

Regarding your second point, meaning does indeed evolve, and it does so through natural use. But without a sensible and repeatable consensus of the patterns and functions of the elements of language, there can be no language at all. Etymologies are useful in tracing the history of meaning of a word, and the evolution of a word and its subsequent mis-uses that become more everyday uses often differ. Change is normal. As is stasis. All the words you used as examples can be understood by considering their respective etymologies.

EDIT: nice video, Aaron2. Cheers.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by monolith » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:29 am

Well this is a thrilling conversation.

How about taking the language debate to PM's or an off topic thread?

It sucks to see this thread has new posts, thinking maybe someone's shared a new demo only to find more nitpicking about the term paraphonic. :lol:




Moog Slang Phatty with thesaurus cv expander

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:34 am

I called it a word. I just used quotes to do it! ;) Never said I could spell... :D
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
Dr. Phibes
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 am
Location: UK

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 am

knolan wrote: For example, I 'know' the envelope generator on both my J106 and MonoPoly intimately - as in - I can perform very precisely in real time with them and affect the character of the sound that way, and much of that is because of their incredibly smooth analogue nature. And - my two Juno 106's are very different in the Envelope department , offering different options to me. I'm not saying you can't do that with digital envelopes (for example), but the analogue path is very organic and genuinely a part of the character of each individual instrument. Likewise, I suspect if would be exceedingly difficult to recreate the CS80 ring modulator digitally, it is its intrinsic analogue features that give it its character.
I may be mistaken but aren't both the EG and LFO digital in the Juno-160?

User avatar
Carey M
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan
Location: Turku, Finland, EU
Contact:

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Carey M » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 am

Dr. Phibes wrote: I may be mistaken but aren't both the EG and LFO digital in the Juno-106?
Yes, they are, like on most Roland analogue polys. JP-4, JP-8 and JU-6/60 being the exception (don't know about the JU-6/60 LFOs). And like mentioned before, software EGs and LFOs on the Moog Subs as well.

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:39 am

Jesus-F'ing-Christ. I am seriously going to start handing out bans for anymore ridiculous OT wank.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Post Reply