Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by genshi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 pm

genshi wrote:In an effort to not let this thread die, I thought I'd post my own exploration videos of my recently arrived Moog Sub 37 synth. In the videos, I try to show a variety of sounds, from soft and mellow to hard and aggressive; all in a music context. This really is a wonderfully beautiful, modern analog Moog in the best way possible!

:)
Kenneth wrote:Awesome videos! Genshi, I particularly liked the third one you uploaded. Very enjoyable! I'm looking very much forward to finally getting to try one of these out in real life (whenever that may be).
Thanks Kenneth, I do appreciate the kind words! I'm having a blast with the Moog Sub 37. :D

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:08 pm

An impressive player and some good technical mumbo-jumbo...

:keys1:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:34 pm

So, does anyone even have this yet? Apart from JidoGenshi that is.
I'm still waiting on my Jan pre order :lol:

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Thought I'd found somewhere with them in stock, so ordered last night. Got a phonecall this morning that it was a mistake on their website and they can't get hold of them at the moment, going to be at least six weeks, just like everyone else :cry:

The sales guy was suggesting that some of the larger EU suppliers are not in Moog's good books so aren't likely to get them anytime soon and I'd be better ordering from a UK-based/owned company (and not necessarily them, although they say they'll give me a call if/when they get stock and if I've sourced one elsewhere, no hard feelings).

There's a couple listing estimated deliveries later this month and another site saying December :o – I guess they might have a delivery before then but that all the units are already spoken for. I guess I'm in for a long wait, having left pre-ordering to the last minute (i.e. early April :D ).

It's like the Volcas all over again :lol:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:19 pm

My supplier says Oct at some point for the preorders but I am not holding out hope ha.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:04 pm

zoomtheline wrote:My supplier says Oct at some point for the preorders but I am not holding out hope ha.
The last I heard from mine was at the beginning of September saying they were expecting them in late September. Yeah, right :lol:

mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Post by mantrak » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Since nothing happened on 30-SEP-14 I called Thomann and learned that delivery is postponed to "end of October". I cannot believe this is happening. I did not just made a preorder, Thomann requested full payment from me so I paid for it in March. They are assuring me that I will get it with the first EU batch of deliveries and that no synths have been delivered in the EU until now. True?

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38 pm

mantrak wrote:Since nothing happened on 30-SEP-14 I called Thomann and learned that delivery is postponed to "end of October". I cannot believe this is happening. I did not just made a preorder, Thomann requested full payment from me so I paid for it in March. They are assuring me that I will get it with the first EU batch of deliveries and that no synths have been delivered in the EU until now. True?
From what I read somewhere else, they have already delivered 25 to the U.K. The demand for this synth is simply overwhelming. Moog has received over 4000 pre-orders (including from retailers) and since this is hand assembled, they are cranking out about 64 units a week, so...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:14 am

Reminds me of british computer manufacturers back in the mid-80s. When Sinclair released the Spectrum in 1984, they had already pushed the ads for 6 months, plus it was the first home computer under £1000 GBP, so people had preordered tens of thousands of units even before production started. Of course they couldn't manufacture enough, and just had to give buyers who hadnt got their before xmas (mostly parents who wanted one for their kids) a coupon that said

"We're sorry but your Spectrum hasn't been made yet, you will get yours in february keep the coupon and return it at your local hardware store to get your computer"

I'm betting there were ALOT of disappointed parents and children on xmas 1984. No parent likes to give a kid a coupon and promise their gift will arrive in two months time :P

mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Post by mantrak » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:34 am

I have just checked my order status and now it says 1-DEC-14. Another month, again! They have broke delivery promises for FIVE times now (MAY, JUL, SEP, OCT, DEC). This is not just "overwhelming demand", this is chaos and incompetence, crappy production, delivery and customer relation management.

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:42 am

I notice that Gear4Music here in the UK are now saying January 2015... hopefully that's for new orders.

The dealer I have an order with can't give me a date at the moment because they never received the shipment they were expecting in September.

The question is rapidly becoming whether it'll turn up inside a year from having been pre-ordered. :roll:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:13 pm

I am so glad I never got on this preorder madness train. I did with the Minibrute last year and it was 4 months in "agony". Rather just let it pass and get one when they're available instead of ruining my quality of life being angry at some manufacturer for weeks on end.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh yes the minibrute wait. Had erased this from memory... If they have 4000 pre orders for this then it is going to take a while to clear the backlog. Let's hope they don't discontinue it before everyone gets there's. Or 'release' a special edition colorway. ;-)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:26 pm

I cannot find it for the life of me, but I remember reading somewhere (here or Muffs) that someone was taking a Moog factory tour, posting a pick of Sub 37s stacked on a shelf, with a comment reading something like "we can get 20 of them made per week, backorder is ca 2000". If that's true it'll take 2 years to only even complete the preorders...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:27 pm

were those 4000 pre orders in Jan? if so then fair enough. I just feel that someone somewhere is calling the shots and overseas pre orders are taking a back seat to US sales.
I'm trying my hardest to not get frustrated and I don't want to keep bugging my dealer for a date because I feel like a C**t.
Jido: I know all is swimingly good with your moog but do try and stop defending them to the hilt. there is an obvious problem with this machine and it's birth into the world, it needs acknowledging somewhere.