Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rumbler101

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Rumbler101 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Bitexion wrote:Why? Doesn't the sound just turn into a whistly sine wave?
Yeah but I love it :P. Don't ask me why, my ears just do. I like filter house and all that as well so that probably is a reason.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:03 am

Rumbler101 wrote:Probably Moog's second best next to the Voyager.
:shock: The Voyager, of all synths, is the best Moog synth?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 am

He must mean out of the commercially available moogs. The Moog Rebirth synths. I had never tried a moog until recently. Voyager felt pretty normal, nothing special from the initial sound. I had a quick blast on a friends Rogue and instantly felt nicer, I took to the raw sound so much more. Of course this is based on initial basic sounds. Voyager will go infinitely further.
It's just taste.
I'm taking a punt on the Sub37, as is everyone who has not touched it first hand. But we know it's going to sound amazing, whether it has the vintage timbre? who knows? who actually cares? I just think it looks beautiful and with those extra functions on the face I can imagine all sorts of oddness.

Also, what's filter house? Surely there is no such genre where House music just concentrates on filter tweaking? is that not just "Electronic music" ;)

Rumbler101

Post by Rumbler101 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Yeah, the newer ones -- that's what I meant.

Filter House is basically French House. People like Cassius, Thomas Bangalter, Le Knight Club etc...
[youtube][/youtube]

I mean if you wanna go into it further it's mainly about sampling disco loops and then filtering them.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Ah ok. I will check that out, out of interest, ta.

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:48 pm

The UPS guy just dropped my Sub 37 off. I think I'm booked for the weekend now. :D

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Where are you?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:15 am

I got mine mine a week or so ago, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed:
  • Great UI
  • Strong, flexible VCOs
  • Awesome filter with added od/fb flexibility
  • Super fun sequencer and arp
  • Modulation routing that's far superior to the Little and Slim Phatty
  • Looping EGs give lots of options for rhythmic patterns and evolving sounds
And there are cool features coming in the next firmware: CV destinations will be programable (!) and mod destinations can be determined by just turning a knob rather than going into the menu, which is, like, the smartest thing ever.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:22 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:I got mine mine a week or so ago, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed:
  • Great UI
  • Strong, flexible VCOs
  • Awesome filter with added od/fb flexibility
  • Super fun sequencer and arp
  • Modulation routing that's far superior to the Little and Slim Phatty
  • Looping EGs give lots of options for rhythmic patterns and evolving sounds
And there are cool features coming in the next firmware: CV destinations will be programable (!) and mod destinations can be determined by just turning a knob rather than going into the menu, which is, like, the smartest thing ever.
Played one for an hour or so last week in store then called today to order so this is good to know I'll have mine tomorrow, can't wait. When I played this I just jelled with it right away. Most things available right on the front panel too.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I really want to like this synth. Great price, ton's of features, and great build. However, every time I check out demos on youtube, it sounds so dreadfully dull and flat. Why does a synth with these modulation capabilities seem lacking in the demos? Is this just a bread & butter synth, or is it something more?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I really want to like this synth. Great price, ton's of features, and great build. However, every time I check out demos on youtube, it sounds so dreadfully dull and flat. Why does a synth with these modulation capabilities seem lacking in the demos? Is this just a bread & butter synth, or is it something more?
Its the modern Moog sound! I felt the same about my Voyager. Definitely capable of sounding great in a mix, but by itself a little uninspiring. I swung back and forth with it for a while before giving up.

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I really want to like this synth. Great price, ton's of features, and great build. However, every time I check out demos on youtube, it sounds so dreadfully dull and flat. Why does a synth with these modulation capabilities seem lacking in the demos? Is this just a bread & butter synth, or is it something more?
Dunno. Depends on what you're looking for I guess. I recently uploaded a piece that features softer sounds. There's a lot of reverb and only subtle modulation going on, but maybe this offers a different perspective:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:37 pm

nice brassy tone

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:14 pm

I think that most people are just not very adventurous with programming. It essentially has 4 audio rate mod sources (2lfo + 2looping env) and yet, people continue to play generic moog leads on it.

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I think that most people are just not very adventurous with programming. It essentially has 4 audio rate mod sources (2lfo + 2looping env) and yet, people continue to play generic moog leads on it.
Gotcha. I guess I couldn't have posted a more boring example then. :mrgreen:

Well, I'm currently preparing another track that is going to feature the Sub 37 only, including drums/percussion. Maybe that will show another side.