Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes! That's definitely the side of it that I'd be interested in hearing.

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Okay. I keep you posted then.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I think that most people are just not very adventurous with programming. It essentially has 4 audio rate mod sources (2lfo + 2looping env) and yet, people continue to play generic moog leads on it.
Well, it's hard to not play that on this thing because it's just darn Moogy!

But the modulation does take it far past the standard Minimoog trappings. It will still sound Moogy--even in 18 and 12dB modes (6dB less so to my ear)--but it takes that Moog sound places that you previously needed a Moog modular or something for. The mod matrix is similar to the Voyager's and pretty deep. But even on the surface you can do things like use one LFO to control the speed of the other LFO--fun stuff not available on previous Phatties and Minis.

Check out the Mod Source/Destinations starting on p43 for an idea of the possibilities:
http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... l_8_13.pdf

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:59 pm

IMO I think this thing is bad a*s. I've owned a 2 voyagers, and while I really miss the 3rd osc with the Sub 37, it greatly makes up for it with modulation, arp, seq and has as close to the old mini overdrive sound I've heard from new Moogs. It does take a little bit of work to coax a creamy-classic moog sound out, as it trends towards the multi-drive filter sound. However, once you learn the path to smooth, its all crème de le crème .

I've only owned for a short while, and every time I turn it on I find myself on a sonic sojourn. I haven't been so enthralled since owning my P5. h**l I haven't even run effects on it yet, and its still a blast.

note: I recently got a Streichfett and have been using the Sub 37 as a sequencer-arp/midi controller for it, fun times.
Last edited by bhrama on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:49 am

Poptones wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I think that most people are just not very adventurous with programming. It essentially has 4 audio rate mod sources (2lfo + 2looping env) and yet, people continue to play generic moog leads on it.
Gotcha. I guess I couldn't have posted a more boring example then.
No way! That was actually pretty cool. Nice production and mixing. The bass does sound pretty good.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 pm

If I'm honest I'm not the biggest fan of modern Moog stuff but from the demonstrations I've seen I definitely like what I hear.

Not going to rush out and put my name on any waiting lists but I definitely wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:09 pm

It's an absolute beauty of a synth. I don't need to say anymore.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:39 pm

zoomtheline wrote:It's an absolute beauty of a synth. I don't need to say anymore.
Iv'e had mine 2 days now and I totally agree. I'm so happy with mine here, glad I invested, put a small hole in my Prophet 6 savings but that's ok

Rob

Poptones
Gear: Ableton Live 9 Suite & Push 2 | DSI Pro 2 | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 | Sequential Prophet-6

Post by Poptones » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:11 pm

I've uploaded a track that only features sounds I've done with the Sub 37 (27 tracks in total):

or:

The youtube file has a slightly better quality.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 pm

^ cool track! seems to be a really versatile synth too. :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:34 am

Great demo Pop!

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:25 am

Awesome track :-)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks everybody for the comments! Much appreciated.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 am

To be honest, I don't know why people always say, "But this synth has sooooooooo many modulation possibilities, why aren't people doing x, y, or z with it? The 4 LFOs can be routed to 416 different sources, man!"

Here's a simple answer: people want classic synthesizer sounds. The ones they've been hearing on records their entire lives. It's like those wild presets that ship with DSI synths. Yeah, they're "adventurous," and they sound cool all by themselves, but how would one use them in a real piece of music?

Personally, I don't really care for highly modulated, experimental-sounding, "glitchy," wobbly-a*s patches. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather listen to "generic Moog leads" or "Vox Humana" all friggin' day! :lol:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 am

Aaron2 wrote:To be honest, I don't know why people always say, "But this synth has sooooooooo many modulation possibilities, why aren't people doing x, y, or z with it? The 4 LFOs can be routed to 416 different sources, man!"

Here's a simple answer: people want classic synthesizer sounds. The ones they've been hearing on records their entire lives. It's like those wild presets that ship with DSI synths. Yeah, they're "adventurous," and they sound cool all by themselves, but how would one use them in a real piece of music?

Personally, I don't really care for highly modulated, experimental-sounding, "glitchy," wobbly-a*s patches. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather listen to "generic Moog leads" or "Vox Humana" all friggin' day! :lol:
I'm off to make some popcorn, this could get interesting...

(For the record, I'm with him. Give me a nice classic musical sound over yet another "hey check out this bizarro modulation" patch any day.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73