Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Moog Sub 37

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Not falling into this tired argument. Everyone is looking for different things in a synth. Bizarro sounds may not fit into every composition, but for demo purposes (which is the intent of these videos) the crazy sounds demonstrate a much greater depth of the engine than the basic saw lead patch etc. Both are important, and musically usable. I'll leave it at that.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:42 am

I get both sides. Moogs tend to attract a different synth player. Someone experimental may go for something a bit wilder and people who are of a certain age and music preferences will prefer what moog offer.
It's like when a band comes along and does an album on a shoestring and the cheap equipment they have sounds janky and experimental, and that's half the reason why they get signed and do well. the second album, they have made a bit of money and they have a better studio to record in. They buy a voyager, of course, you would. The second album sounds tame, old sounds produced too well which makes it sound cheesy. Band tries again with third album then disappears.
The whole moog thing sort of steers the music making in a weird way because people get hung up on "i've got a Moog!!!" and try and make it sound like they have a moog.

Anyway, You're both right, online demo's should show both sides and demo patches should be few to not ruin the exploration possibilities of a synth but enough to show the possibilities to a new user.

If you really are looking at the Sub37 for yourself, i'd happily send you a couple of wavs of some odd patches.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I get both sides. Moogs tend to attract a different synth player. Someone experimental may go for something a bit wilder and people who are of a certain age and music preferences will prefer what moog offer.
I kind of know what you mean. I have to stop myself putting Phatty-made Tangerine Dream flute patches on everything I do; that, or I let myself do it and then delete that track in the edit...

Most of the patches I make on the LP are in the lead/bass camps, a few fast arpy/blippy things... it's not the most flexible synth for oddball noises, though it can be cajoled into that territory. Certainly the Sub37 looks like a better bet on those grounds.

Having said that, even a modest bit of kit like the LP can be mangled joyfully with a couple of pedals and some judicious patching.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:22 am

Kidney05 wrote:Can't that guy wear a shirt?

I'd love this if it were my first Moog (and not to rain on anyone's parade), but I gotta say, it's not nearly as pretty as the little Phatty tribute was. Maybe because it's all grey, black, brown, and yellow. Hoping the standard edition is a little cooler.
Not sure if you saw one in the flesh yet but - wow..

SUB 37 looks better than ANY phatty or sub phatty. It looks 'ok' in photos, but it's precisely the colour scheme (the black panel looks expensive so other than readability on stage it's much nicer than a harsh silver panel) the knobs silver tops look classic and the yellow lighting and wood ends are a great finishing touch. I've had hands on a normal phatty and it did not feel like the same class as the SUB37 - so nor would a standard SUB37 if they ever make one, though the rest should still look nicer than a phatty (which kinda looks like a low brand MIDI controller to me from the front!)

Your taste may be towards certain colours but honestly the phattys always looked rather bare and a bit cheap (for moog) esp the rubberised ends. I also prefer the yellow lights of the 37 tribute vs the blue? lights on the tribute phatty. The whole unit screams cohesion and beauty - the SUB 37 - the wood goes beautifully with the black panel and silver topped knobs (very 70s - very classily 70s not retro for the sake of it) and simply looks and feels top quality. The knob action is brilliant, the knobs are smooth, the switch knobs feel like they are from a BMW or Mercedes! I was shocked how well built it felt considering the fairly cheap price. The phattys ARE nice synths too, don't get me wrong' but combine the name with the cartoon logo in the top left, the sparse panel and the cheaper looking end caps - it's in a different (lower) class of looks/feel vs the SUB37 tribute edition.

I get some prefer blue lights but honestly I'm over blue lights, they are everywhere... you don't often see yellow and they remind me of summer.. the synth reminds me of a 1970s summer, it's like something my dad would have owned but kept pristine for 40 years later! :lol:

Have seen a lot of nice looking synths in my time but nothing wowed me like the SUB37 once I saw it in reality! I think it makes the prophet 6 look a touch cheap by comparison (and I think the Prophet 6 is gorgeous itself)

LOVE. IT.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:32 am

UK SUB 37 owners - I know many of you have had this synth for quite a long time, when did it first hit the UK? November last year? What kind of prices were you paying new for it?

Are the current prices (pretty much £1279 everywhere) what it used to sell for (I thought it was a bit cheaper in the past)?

Did any of you UK buyers get any pencils, stickers etc or just the poster/chart and manual?

all helpful info to me (as a new, and VERY happy, owner of a 37)
:D

Edit > Guess this answers my question eh?

http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?pu=2455937

Lowest prices were around £1150 then? Wonder if that was down to ready available stock (the ususal up prices when out of stock thing) or due to the exchange rate nonsense (that has also affected DSI synths ii.e Prophet 08 was going for £1440 then shot up to £1680 recently)

also - SUB 37 is the second most popular synth!

http://pricespy.co.uk/category.php?k=660&o=lokal_rank

JD-Xi at #1 there... both of them bargains in their respective categories I feel (even if JD-Xi isn't anything I want)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri May 08, 2015 10:25 am

Pretty sure I was on the first source list and got mine early Nov I think. I bet there was VIPs who got them earlier though.
No pencils, stickers etc. Not that I care about trinkets like that anyway.
I however get a lonely sticker in the post only a couple of weeks ago which I though was strange.

I love this synth especially with the new OS. When midi'd to a digi synth like a DX and playing them both with the seq it really blows my mind.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Pretty sure I was on the first source list and got mine early Nov I think. I bet there was VIPs who got them earlier though.
No pencils, stickers etc. Not that I care about trinkets like that anyway.
I however get a lonely sticker in the post only a couple of weeks ago which I though was strange.

I love this synth especially with the new OS. When midi'd to a digi synth like a DX and playing them both with the seq it really blows my mind.
Iv'e had my sub 37 for about 4 weeks now (basic tribute edition) was supposed to be £1249 but I get them from a friends shop so a straight £1000 haven't played it at all I just plugged it in to test due to doing renovations here but can't wait to dig in, can't recall any stickers though just a big piece of thick paper with MOOG covering the synth in the box but will check again later.

As for the DSI stuff, well I was all geared to buy certain DSI synths BUT no way now, the UK prices just rocketed.

Rob