Moog Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Re: Moog Sub 37, finaly a new poliphonic Moog?

Post by Carey M » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'd just prefer a Moog where the knobs controlled the functions instead of the knobs controlling a digital thang that controlled the functions. But that's what all of you get when you demand TABLETOP TABLETOP TABLETOP USB USB USB
Well, you already have one of those ;)

Most of the time I find no disconnect between the Sub Phatty controls and its functions or sound. I have the panel active 99% of the time.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:14 am

Carey M wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'd just prefer a Moog where the knobs controlled the functions instead of the knobs controlling a digital thang that controlled the functions. But that's what all of you get when you demand TABLETOP TABLETOP TABLETOP USB USB USB
Well, you already have one of those ;)

Most of the time I find no disconnect between the Sub Phatty controls and its functions or sound. I have the panel active 99% of the time.
Yes, well I'm emotionally scarred because the Sub Phatty I had refused to abide by the saved "under the hood" settings.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 am

Since this is going to be duophonic, I'm curious about something. I used to have a Polivoks, which is also mono/duophonic. One of the quirks I discovered though was that you could place the mono/duo switch in between the two settings, which would disable the keyboard tracking on the second oscillator. If you'll allow a bagpipe comparison, it meant that one oscillator acted as a drone while the other was like a chanter. I don't know if this was intentional. Did other duophonics like the Oddy or Cat do this?

Anyway, my point is, I wonder if this is something that might be doable on this new Moog.
You can't synthesize love

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 am

gross!

you like synths how I like synths.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 am

It's also what you get when there are more functions than can be sensibly applied to a 1:1 control:function interface. I have no qualms at all about controls being scanned and digitised and DAC-ed and applied to functions. After all, synths with memories have been doing that for 36 or so years, at least. More is demanded of synths now, but it's not a new thing.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:01 pm

It all depends on what music you want to play. Progressive music needs new technology and more than the human hand can cope with. If all synths had the "proper" parameters that AG prefers then music would not progress at all.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Since this is going to be duophonic, I'm curious about something. I used to have a Polivoks, which is also mono/duophonic. One of the quirks I discovered though was that you could place the mono/duo switch in between the two settings, which would disable the keyboard tracking on the second oscillator. If you'll allow a bagpipe comparison, it meant that one oscillator acted as a drone while the other was like a chanter. I don't know if this was intentional. Did other duophonics like the Oddy or Cat do this?

Anyway, my point is, I wonder if this is something that might be doable on this new Moog.
Dunno, but you can do it on the model D :)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 pm

...I also like how everyone is passionately discussing terminology and semantics whilst happily looking past the obvious spelling mistake in the thread title :lol:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 pm

At the risk of starting a fight, I have to say your comment really doesn't make much sense, Zoom. One could reasonably argue that music can and will progress regardless of the interface. Will a non-tactile interface make a difference? It depends on the musician using it. For example, there's been plenty of computer music made that doesn't push any sort of compositional boundary, but there are other pieces that do. The same goes for pieces composed and performed on Buchlas, Moogs, Arps, etc.

At the same time, while I do understand AG's frustration, there are plenty of people for whom the interface presents little problem, if any.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:39 pm

yeah it's cool, there is no definitive way to use gear and people interpret things in different ways of course. What I'm saying is that AG always comes across it's his way that is the way everything should be. If a synth does not fit within the confines of what he feels is "true" synthesis then it's plain wrong. You seemed to take offense at CZ'riders post and I did not read anything in there to warrant you smarmy response. Anyway, No beef at all AG, it's just the way your text comes across to me. I love the enthusiam in AG's vids, I just don't think I get your typed words.
My comment was a loose jibe at these points above. Of course you can make what ever music you want with any gear new or old. Most of my synths have no midi or even CV so I have to play them which would go against my argument regarding the music I make. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm

zoomtheline wrote:... Most of my synths have no midi or even CV ...
Funny!

And yes, our AG does get a bit up in it, doesn't he? Time to rile him up some more, I guess. :twisted: :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:...I also like how everyone is passionately discussing terminology and semantics whilst happily looking past the obvious spelling mistake in the thread title :lol:
There are even two :mrgreen:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Well, I mean, you're right. I am really insistently black and white about some aspects of synthesis... a lot of time, especially here, to an annoying degree.

While some of it is just me being an a*s, some of it has another purpose. I fight a lot of modern technology because a lot of modern technology serves customer demand... and customer demand is often about convenience, low prices, and emulation of stuff other people have done. As an educator, I'd really like it if people were more interested in employing synthesis to meet their own creative needs through a synthesizer that allows them to do so without pandering to them. Which often creates a situation where people have to sit down and learn, work hard, spend a lot of money, and etc. Convenience is usually the enemy of creativity.

And yes, I'm pretty obnoxious. But if I show up here and say "well, here's my personal opinion... here's what I like... but to each his own... it's all good... it's all in the music and nothing else matters... etc." What the h**l point is there in posting that? Forums are great for discussing and even arguing about various aspects... which allows people to really refine how they feel and why they feel that way. No one learns anything from everyone being quiet, kind, gentle, and agreeing with everything.

In conclusion: Irritating, but at least altruistic! :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm

See, I like that response ;)

Don't get me wrong though, I like your posts even if some of them make blood boil. Like you say, it makes this place interesting. As long as it does not get too personal I think this is a place to be able to say anything.

I'd love to see a AG demo of a welson syntex by the way :)