Beatitude - Ric Ocasek

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Fredthehound

Beatitude - Ric Ocasek

Post by Fredthehound » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:14 am

Hi all,

I have always been a fan of the Cars and Ric O's solo work. The Beatitude album had a pretty good impact on me as did Panorama. I really enjoy that sound they got on it. It just struck me as different to a lot of what was out there at the time. The filtered vocals and dark almost lo fi qualities of some of the synths. 'Connect up to me' is a good example of what I mean. Every so often I do searches but I never seem to be able to find a lot of detail on the production aspects/keys.

I know Greg Hawkes worked on Beatitude but again, unless I am totally missing it (possible) I never find much in depth on him either outside of the Heartbeat city articles/fairlights.

Anyone got the goods or can point me in a direction to find them?

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Re: Beatitude - Ric Ocasek

Post by Max Websta » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:01 am

I have Greg Hawkes solo lp "Niagara Falls". I remember liking it it, but haven't listened to it in awhile. I enjoy Ocasek's Beatitude also, but both pale in comparison to the songs they did with The Cars.

Here's a review: http://culturefusionreviews.com/tag/nia ... eg-hawkes/

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 am

Max Websta wrote:I have Greg Hawkes solo lp "Niagara Falls". I remember liking it it, but haven't listened to it in awhile. I enjoy Ocasek's Beatitude also, but both pale in comparison to the songs they did with The Cars.

Here's a review: http://culturefusionreviews.com/tag/nia ... eg-hawkes/
I'll check it out. Thanks!

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 am

Probably not a huge help, but I'm a big fan as well. I remember reading when it came out (when I was still a wee lad) that Ric and Greg both played keys on it, and I believe it's mostly Prophet-5. I certainly recognize the Prophet oscillator sync sounds.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 am

Let me know what you think.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:46 pm

one "Miss Linn" (a/k/a an LM-1) is listed in the personnel credits

FWIW, the Jupiter-8's all over Heartbeat City (e.g. - the whooping ascending sound that starts "Magic"), and would've been available at the time of Beatitude

Distorted_Frequency
Gear: DSI Prophet 08, Univox MiniKorg K2, Roland Juno 106, TR-909. RIP Custom Guitars, Rocktron Prophesy Pre, VHT 2:90:2, Rocktron Midi Mate.
Band: ToxicDose

Post by Distorted_Frequency » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Well after much research and watching the Cars Unlocked DVD for my Cars tribute band I found there were a few staples and some rotating synths in Greg Hawkes career. Early stuff was a Univox MiniKorg 700, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, Arp Omni, some sort of Yamaha EP, and a Vox Jaguar. I've also seen Roland SH-7 and SH-2 mid career. Later stuff was the Fairlight and Jupiter 8.

I've managed to get away with the Univox 700s, a Prophet 08, and Jupiter 6 to cover most sounds throughout their catalog.

Rob
FAST, LOUD, RUDE!!!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm

From what I understand the following synths were used on Beatitude:

Jupiter 8
Prophet 5
roland VP-330 vocoder
Mini-korg
LinnDrum
Korg lambda (for "orchestral coloring")

"all of the synthesizers on Beatitude were manually played with the sole exception of a sequencer, which makes a brief appearance in "Connect Up To Me."

At the time of this album Rick also had a Linn LM-1, a Korg KR 55, five Roland units (including a TR808. CR8000 and a Dr. Rhythm), some old Univox rhythm gizmos and an assortment of little Casiotiones - so he may have used some of that stuff as well.

You can read the full Musician magazine interview with Ric here (march 1983):
http://dailyeventsbookpagethree.blogspo ... -1983.html
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 am

Greg Hawkes is one of, if not THE most under-rated keys player out there.

everything he did on just the first 3 Cars albums is like writing the book for what was to come in the '80s.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 am

The "some sort Yamaha electric piano" is a CP-30. It blows my mind that wee little Greg Hawkes must have to move that monster around to gigs early on (they weigh a ton). On the 1979 Musikladen German vid, Greg's playing the CP-30 with a an ARP Omni on top and the miniKorg 700 on top of that.

I used to mistake the miniKorg for an early Roland monosynth (they're shaped kind of the same), but I've never known Greg to use them (I could be wrong, of course).

For the record, I've met him a couple times (the quasi-famous 80's band I used to play for opened up for the "New Cars" a couple times), and he was very shy and very kind.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:39 pm

celebutante wrote:the quasi-famous 80's band I used to play for
Come on, Mitchell, Berlin and Terri Nunn are great! And more than just "quasi-famous".

Thanks for your insight on Greg.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Hawkes is also quite the mult-instrumentalist. Besides keys he plays sax, guitar, and in recent years has done an album of Beatles covers on ukulele.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 am

@Kirk- Ha, found out! I just try to refrain from (affects snobby voice), "Back when I was touring with famous 80's band Berlin,... " :mrgreen:

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone, I am =very much- appreciating all the info.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Micke wrote:From what I understand the following synths were used on ...
Micke, that article was pure gold. Couldn't have asked for more. Thanks!