Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Re: Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 am

damn that sucks...oh well I'll probably still grab one to hold me over until I can afford a q960 or dark time. these are going to be crazy when they hit the used market too
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I'm curious if this will have more than one CV output, to allow velocity etc. This is basically the mega cheap, small version of the arduino sequencer I'm building right now. Dammit!
Not only that, I'm wondering why anyone would ever buy a Doepfer Dark Time again? You can get six of these Arturias from the price of one DT!
because it matches the Dark Energy?
(I'll probably still buy one myself)
OTOH I am finding it hard to rationalize buying any more of the VOS sequencer kits or any other sequencer kits.
They don't have midi sync and will end up costing more when you figure in case etc.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:20 pm

this seems pretty nice, its cool that it can function as midi controller and step sequencer simultaneously. im almost inerested in one, i just cant wrap my head around why the computer specs much. i never make music on my computer, youd think the midi editor at least would be xp compatible :/

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:38 am

Even if limited, for 100 clams, total winner.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm kind of curious how much of what it does is computer dependent. Is it just a simple USB device that has no native logic or does it have the ability to operate independently of a computer?
I can use it either way, but I'm more interested in a CV controller that doesn't need to be plugged in to my laptop.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 pm

everything says it can be used away from a computer, using a phone charger or whatever to power it via the usb port
a few places have them online for 99usd shipped preorder, so im just waiting for my tax forms now lol

it definitely seems well worth the price even if i cant hook it up to my old xp pc, but itd be nice to adjust the gate time &c that is accessible via the midi software for the thing

...yeah i have watched too many videos about this one!

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:OTOH I am finding it hard to rationalize buying any more of the VOS sequencer kits or any other sequencer kits. They don't have midi sync and will end up costing more when you figure in case etc.
OT: True. I think most synth kits are a waste of money. Generally, you don't save that much over mass-produced, prebuilt machines. Plus, you run the risk that you won't assemble it right (and may never get it right).

Now, back to the Beatstep! :D

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:OTOH I am finding it hard to rationalize buying any more of the VOS sequencer kits or any other sequencer kits. They don't have midi sync and will end up costing more when you figure in case etc.
OT: True. I think most synth kits are a waste of money. Generally, you don't save that much over mass-produced, prebuilt machines. Plus, you run the risk that you won't assemble it right (and may never get it right).

Now, back to the Beatstep! :D
Maybe I'm an exceptional solderist (solderer?) but I've never had a problem with a kit not working.
Though I do often catch typos or errors in the BOM or instructions that require some re-engineering of the kit.
Until recently, the kit based CV sequencers WERE the most cost effective way to get into CV step sequences.
The EHX box is cool, but no gate out.
The Beatstep may beat the VOS sequencer on price alone, but there are still some other tricks that I don't think I'll be able to emulate with the beatstep, like 'shorting' a sequence.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Yeah there's a lot it won't do - as it can't be clocked from an analogue source, you're not going to be able to fully integrate it with that kind of setup, for example - but especially for the price I think it looks like a great bit of fun which will actually see some use, instead of being fun for a week and then looking like an error.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 am

yeah, itll be nice to have a digital cv sequencer to go with my electra cv sampler!
im not on the fence about getting one, just on the fence about whether itll be indispensible or merely $100 worth of fun

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 am

ok finally had time to watch the videos. I not only want one, I am pretty sure I need one. It's clearly not dependent on the host machine, but it does add fucntionality to my DAW that I don't have right now (pads!).
Yeah, this is too easy, cheap and cool not to buy. I mean it has red AND blue lights? For no extra charge?
Too bad I'm right in the middle of building a 2xVOS sequencer in a rack case project. Oh well can't have too many CV/Gate sources, that's how we get polyphony right?

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 am

or you can turn on and off steps on the beatstep and use its gate to clock your other sequencers to get madness happening

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:59 am

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

Noob question coming. So, I have trouble clocking my machinedrum to Logic so I imagine the beatstep will talk to Logic fine so could I slave the MD from the beatstep therefore clocking it all from DAW?
Bit of a roundabout way of course, maybe I should persevere the right way ha.

pmh

Post by pmh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Best price in England, at the moment, seems to be £89

Certainly packed with features for that price and certainly worth a go.

Kind regards,

Phil