Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:17 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Noob question coming. So, I have trouble clocking my machinedrum to Logic so I imagine the beatstep will talk to Logic fine so could I slave the MD from the beatstep therefore clocking it all from DAW?
Bit of a roundabout way of course, maybe I should persevere the right way ha.
You should probably head over to the elektronauts forum and see if someone can hip you to a solution.
My MD and Logic get along fine. That is kind of the neat thing about the MD, being able to save different sync configs so you can just plug in at home, live or in the studio and select your appropriate config settings.
What are you using for a midi interface to clock your MD to logic (or vice versa)?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm using a focusrite saffire pro 40. I know it sounds bad but I rarely sync with the daw because it gives me a headache so I just set the tempo's, record what I need and and it's always in time.
The MD can drift a tad though if I'm recording something a bit longer than usual.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I'm using a focusrite saffire pro 40. I know it sounds bad but I rarely sync with the daw because it gives me a headache so I just set the tempo's, record what I need and and it's always in time.
The MD can drift a tad though if I'm recording something a bit longer than usual.
If you can do p locks on the MD you should be able to navigate getting midi sync happening.
Just get the pdf of the manual and hunker down for an afternoon to get it done.
Like taxes, it's a pain, but you will be happy when it's over and done.
Cliff notes being that one of them will have to be the master time reference and the other devices will follow it.
I prefer to have my DAW as my master, but in the past I have setup my MD or other drum machine as master.
It really just boils down to which play button you prefer to hit. Though sometimes due to various manufacturer incompatibility wrinkles you get forced into a corner on this.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:52 am

The MD is fine, i'm all over that thing I think it's just getting midi through the interface that's causing the problem. I'm just impatient I guess because it's not simple and instant like midi'ing up hardware. I will buckle down and get it sorted one day.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 am

zoomtheline wrote:The MD is fine, i'm all over that thing I think it's just getting midi through the interface that's causing the problem. I'm just impatient I guess because it's not simple and instant like midi'ing up hardware. I will buckle down and get it sorted one day.
It's simple and instant as soon as you go into the midi preferences and enable midi clock on your midi output. You'll need to do exactly the same thing to get your beatstep to sync with Logic as well, so no point holding off from doing it until you buy a new bit of gear. It's just one button you need to hit once, will save you a bunch of time in the long run.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:The MD is fine, i'm all over that thing I think it's just getting midi through the interface that's causing the problem. I'm just impatient I guess because it's not simple and instant like midi'ing up hardware. I will buckle down and get it sorted one day.
It's simple and instant as soon as you go into the midi preferences and enable midi clock on your midi output. You'll need to do exactly the same thing to get your beatstep to sync with Logic as well, so no point holding off from doing it until you buy a new bit of gear. It's just one button you need to hit once, will save you a bunch of time in the long run.
and like I said above, you can even save that as a setting, so that you have one midi setup with logic, a completely different one for standalone operation. I can't remember of the top of my head but I think you get 8 slots for midi/sync setting presets.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 am

yeah, it should be as simple as that, but it still does not get the message. Maybe my long midi cable has died ha. Sillier things have happened. It's the only one I have that will reach my Elektrons. I need to invest in some new midi cables anyway and re test. Thanks guys, at least I know I'm setting it up right anyway. Something is a miss somewhere.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I gotta say, this might be the thing I am most excited about from NAMM.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah this machine looks dope-ity dope dope as dope (and cheap).

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:27 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I gotta say, this might be the thing I am most excited about from NAMM.
what else is in the running?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 am

moremagic wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:I gotta say, this might be the thing I am most excited about from NAMM.
Analog RYTM, Midas M32, Makenoise Erbe Verb, Trigger Finger Pro, Korg Gadget, the new Pittsburgh Modular systems, Waldorf 2-Pole, Moog Sub 37, Nord Lead A1 and a couple of keytars. :thumbright:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:40 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
moremagic wrote:
Analog RYTM, Midas M32, Makenoise Erbe Verb, Trigger Finger Pro, Korg Gadget, the new Pittsburgh Modular systems, Waldorf 2-Pole, Moog Sub 37, Nord Lead A1 and a couple of keytars. :thumbright:
Yep, there is a lot of other stuff that looks awesome. This just seems to have a GREAT function to price ratio. I don't currently own any MIDI capable synths, I don't own any midi drum controller, and I don't own a CV sequencer... This thing wil do ALL of that. How f**k cool is that ?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Anyone preorder this yet ? I believe it is supposed to ship in the next few weeks or so. I can't tell in the photos or the specs at Nova, but is the CV out a 1/8" jack or a regular 1/4" ? It looks pretty tiny, so I thought I'd ask. If it is 1/8", what kind of adapter would I need to go to 1/4" ? Assuming a TRS headphone adapter wouldn't fit the bill...

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

2 3.5mm male to 1/4" male cables should do the trick, trs adaptors short out ts jacks too often ime
im probably gonna pre order one this week

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I dig how you can step sequence CV gate. I'm having trouble triggering my Juno 60 any other way but unfortunately the CV gate from my Volca Beats only does it in 1/8th notes. Really dig how you could custom send out +5V gate signal with this.