Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Re: Arturia Beat Step---$99 CV step sequencer!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm

calaverasgrande wrote: Well that is what you get for foisting poutine on unsuspecting tourists.
I only have one zing to zay to you:

My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: Well that is what you get for foisting poutine on unsuspecting tourists.
I only have one zing to zay to you:

I'm actually French/Acadien/Creole. So I'm making fun of your poutine not as an American (or worse a Brit), but as a snobby frog that thinks they know how to cook better than anyone. :lol:
Though I am not sure I can really claim French anymore since I've forgotten 95% of whatever French I could speak as a child.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:13 am

Just watch France play in the World Cup, and a few choice words might just come flying out of your memory!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Just watch France play in the World Cup, and a few choice words might just come flying out of your memory!
well the other team are, how you say, not playing it right.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 am

I'm starting to see poutine show up on menus here in the USA. It's the first step in the eventual takeover of this country by Canada :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:20 am

I'll trade you ten poutines for a BeatStep (no gravy on it, though, please).

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Saw a Beatstep at one of the local Long and McQuades yesterday. Priced at 110 bucks.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Arturia has just announced a black version of the Beatstep and a software bundle is now included: SEM V and Analog Lab softsynths plus Ableton Live 9 Lite. The software alone normally sells for $300 so this bundle is a pretty good deal.

There is also a black version of the MiniLab keyboard controller with a similar bundle.

There's also a new firmware release for Beatstep, v1.2.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Image

Arturia has just announced a black version of the Beatstep and a software bundle is now included: SEM V and Analog Lab softsynths plus Ableton Live 9 Lite. The software alone normally sells for $300 so this bundle is a pretty good deal.

There is also a black version of the MiniLab keyboard controller with a similar bundle.

I saw the BE versions posted, but didn't notice the firmware update. I was so close to selling it. Still might. Was there ever a new feature that allowed it to use the gate out as a clock sync? Whenever I deactivated steps, it would go out of sync with analog gear because it played right over it. In other words, it won't just spit out a pulse. I found this annoying when using it along side my Volcas unless I was sending out a 16 step sequence. But if I use it as a MIDI sequencer, it treats the deactivated step as a rest instead. Consistency would have been helpful. That and of course the glaring omission of no clock input other than USB.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Apparently they've sold a lot of Beatsteps, and sales must still be fairly strong, if they figure a black version is worth the effort.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 am

Walter Ego wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Image

I saw the BE versions posted, but didn't notice the firmware update. I was so close to selling it. Still might. Was there ever a new feature that allowed it to use the gate out as a clock sync? Whenever I deactivated steps, it would go out of sync with analog gear because it played right over it. In other words, it won't just spit out a pulse. I found this annoying when using it along side my Volcas unless I was sending out a 16 step sequence. But if I use it as a MIDI sequencer, it treats the deactivated step as a rest instead. Consistency would have been helpful. That and of course the glaring omission of no clock input other than USB.
They are being consistent, a rest in a cv/gate sequence means no gate. If the gate out kept triggering when the step was switched off then the last note would trigger again on switched off steps. I think what you want is analogue clock in and out, which the regular Beatstep doesn't have. The pro might though, I'm not sure.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 am

Yes. I wanted an analog clock in and out. It makes sense to me to have that, given how much new analog is on the market that utilizes clock pulses. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to update the firmware to switch between the gate out and simple analog clock pulse. Of course the clock input probably couldn't be added with just a firmware update. Still on the fence about the Pro. It looks pretty cool but I am liking the look of the KeyStep as well.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:57 am

Walter Ego wrote:Yes. I wanted an analog clock in and out. It makes sense to me to have that, given how much new analog is on the market that utilizes clock pulses. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to update the firmware to switch between the gate out and simple analog clock pulse. Of course the clock input probably couldn't be added with just a firmware update. Still on the fence about the Pro. It looks pretty cool but I am liking the look of the KeyStep as well.
But it doesn't need a firmware update to switch from having gate out to having clock out, you just don't mute any steps. :idea: Swapping out the gate for a clock would mean that muting the steps wouldn't have any effect anyway (CV is uneffected by muting the steps on a CV/Gate sequencer).

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:But it doesn't need a firmware update to switch from having gate out to having clock out, you just don't mute any steps.
Right, but then I can only use it as a clock source if I'm not muting any steps. But I suppose that's where the Creative Limitations principle comes in...

Anyway, I get it. I liked using it as a MIDI sequencer and sending gate out as a clock source at the same time to keep drum machines in time with the MIDI Seqence. But then I would mute a step and blam--out of sync. But I can just chain it via MIDI also.
Walter Ego