How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

How often if at all do you use your synthesizers live?

I regularly use hardware live on stage
56%
I regularly use computers live on stage
No votes
I regularly use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
11%
I very occasionally use hardware live on stage
6%
I very occasionally use computers live on stage
No votes
I very occasionally use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
3%
I never play live however record live takes at home/in the studio
16%
I never play live and sequence most/all of the time when recording at home/in the studio
7%
I never play or record live or at home. My gear is part of a nostalgic collection
1%

Total votes: 70

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm

In an attempt to get an idea of what fellow forum users do with their gear in regards to performing live with it, I have created a simple poll.

It would be good to know how many of you enjoy going out with your hardware and how many would prefer to avoid such activities. It would be great to hear other peoples views and experiences with gigging, or not, with hardware both modern and vintage :D
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Re: How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Post by Jorvik » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Never play live, just record music occasionally at home. I always play parts live rather than sequencing, although that might change when I start messing around in earnest with Volcas.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm

I play probably 3-4 shows a month live, all hardware.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

All hardware for me. Actually now that I think of it, I've never actually played a software synth! :?

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I play probably 3-4 shows a month live, all hardware.
:headbang: love to hear this! I find it really inspiring to hear of people going the extra mile and performing live with hardware.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

mini700
Gear: Minikorg700, Polysix, Korg CX-3, Hohner Pianet T, JD-800, Bassstation, 808, 707 ..

Post by mini700 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Hardware only for me. Never used a computer on stage ever. I'm not sure, I would know how to do it. ;)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Rarely play live but when I do it's all various hardware.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

I regularly use hardware and computers live. But I also make different music than most of you. When I play solo it's very much in a Klaus Schulze/Tangerine Dream Berlin School sort of format where the computers and iPads either sequence the hardware or sequence softsynths while I play hardware synths. OR it's my kosmiche stoner metal band where I play drums to iPad sequences and eventually play synth and drums at the same time.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I only use hardware on stage and often use some vintage gear along with the new. In the late 80's/early 90's I used an Atari computer live.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm

These days only hardware, and mostly improvised. Some years ago I tended to use a combination...

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

If i played live, I would probably use a computer to sequence my Blofeld, drums, and to control parts of my modular. I haven't wanted to play live yet, because I am more into experimentation. One day, down the road, I may do a music/light show, but I'm pretty far away from that point because I haven't even written a serious song yet!

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm

I only rarely play live out anymore, but when I do it is always hardware synths and bass guitar. I get my Geddy on when I get the chance :lol:
even Siberia goes through the motions....

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't play live since I'm woefully out of practice (two years of piano lessons, ten years of not keeping up on them...) In the studio, I've been exclusively sequenced for a long time (see: ten years of not playing,) but as I've been picking back up on my keyboard abilities I'm starting to change that (actually, the piece I'm trying to finish for the hybrid compo has been all live takes that I've cleaned up in the sequencer and run back through my DW-8000 for recording.) For most of that time, it was all software, about a year and a half ago I started getting into hardware synthesis and I've never looked back...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:43 pm

All hardware. Sometimes I'll use a computer to run my interface though.
bonne chance

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:53 am

Always live. I do sometime use sequences and triggered riffs to duplicate live, when playing the more complicated stuff though coming out of the DAW only production studios. No fun just hitting play and faking it on stage. I'd rather actually perform.