How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

How often if at all do you use your synthesizers live?

I regularly use hardware live on stage
56%
I regularly use computers live on stage
No votes
I regularly use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
11%
I very occasionally use hardware live on stage
6%
I very occasionally use computers live on stage
No votes
I very occasionally use a combination of hardware and computers on stage
3%
I never play live however record live takes at home/in the studio
16%
I never play live and sequence most/all of the time when recording at home/in the studio
7%
I never play or record live or at home. My gear is part of a nostalgic collection
1%

Total votes: 70

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Re: How often do you use hardware live, if at all?

Post by genshi » Thu May 21, 2015 11:59 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
minime123 wrote:its just not exciting watching someone hunched over their laptop.
though, from a performers perspective, its a good way to get paid to catch up on email. :D
mini
It's also not exciting watching someone lurk behind a modular or a wall of keys.
I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to this stuff. I own a lot of non-midied analog gear. But I also just spent a month living out of my car and making music entirely in my laptop.
They are all just noise boxes that you poke with a stick. Whether it is a virtual or IRL stick doesnt really matter once it hits the speaker.

Also there are a lot of controllers that people can use to get the laptop off of the stage.
Or at least to change the interface from mouse and click to physical buttons, knobs, sliders and keys.
I prefer to work with hardware, but it is unwieldy, sometimes difficult to set up, and frankly kind of a luxury item compared to the unlimited iterations of VA in my laptop.
Where it really shines is patch creation. I cursewording HATE trying to make a patch on a virtual synth. It takes forever!
Agreed. I've recently been performing for a monthly experimental synth collective here in Portland called Volt Divers, whose only rule is no computers allowed! Most of the guys and gals bring one case with a modular system or a few table-top synth modules. Since I only have [mostly] keyboard synths at the moment, this is what my setup was like for the last show -

But almost not worth it for such a short set. Wishing I can get into the Modular thing, but every time I price out what I would want as a very barebones system, it still winds up at about $4000! So looking into getting a couple of tabletop modules (Blofeld? Volca Keys? and what else?)

That being said, it was still pretty cool to perform with this setup... :D

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 am

In the bad old days, I only played hardware keyboards but these days I might supplement that with Ableton Live... not for every song but occasionally.

I'll use Ableton for sequences and maybe some other keyboard parts (pads or fills - depending on what I want to play myself) ... the drummer's pretty OK with drumming to a click so we're nice'n'tight.

If I'm using Ableton, I might rely on the built-in library to get the sound I want (either as is or after finding something close and tweaking), or I might use an Ableton midi track to 'play' a hardware synth for me.

Playing hardware is nice and it's good to get that tactile feedback from an instrument but my main concern is to nail the performance (both as a keyboard player and as a band) so playing along to something that's software/programmed is OK with me.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Tekhed66 wrote:Playing hardware is nice and it's good to get that tactile feedback from an instrument but my main concern is to nail the performance (both as a keyboard player and as a band) so playing along to something that's software/programmed is OK with me.
This deserves its own thread. [-X